1220 cals or 1720 cals????

Options
According to this site, I can lose 2lbs/wk eating 1220...this wasn't working. After reading some posts I changed to 1lb/wk and can have 1720 calories..should I try this or keep trying to stay at 1200? no loss in over a week.

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 pounds per week is unsustainable for most people and also tends to sacrifice lean body mass (AKA muscles) which you don't want to do.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Then believe it, also, it doesn't hurt to use a food scale so you have a better idea of what you actually are eating. people over AND under estimate what they are eating to a high degree.
  • hunneric
    hunneric Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Plus, a week isn't all that long.

And I don't know how often you are weighing yourself and a what time of day but your weight can fluctuate a fair bit.

I wouldn't panic just yet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    According to this site, I can lose 2lbs/wk eating 1220...this wasn't working. After reading some posts I changed to 1lb/wk and can have 1720 calories..should I try this or keep trying to stay at 1200? no loss in over a week.

One per week.. you need to fuel your body and even if your goal is 2lbs per week, it won't happen with as little weight to lose as you have.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I too switched to the 1lbs a week and I am so much happier! LOL I don't feel so hungry and I don't feel any urge to binge

I don't usually weigh in weekly. What I'm doing and if you like it, feel free to do the same but I'm not saying you have to.

Took a picture, weight, & measurements on Jan. 1st; I'll repeat this process the 1st of every month.
    I do a casual weigh in every 10days or so - if I'm down, I record. If not, I push my workout harder lol

Best of luck to you
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that you have only just started on MFP, so if that is the case then a week is not long in the whole scale of things...sorry for saying scale lol!

Your body needs to adjust to the whole deficit that you are now giving it...keep going don`t give up.

What worked for me is sticking with the 1200 cals plus exercise cals. If you keep chopping and changing at the beginning you will not get into a routine and I think you will just confuse your body.
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I say 1720 cals. Its not good to eat too few calories. See the link erinsueburns posted! It's helpful. I just upped my calories and its so much better this way.
  • Safati
    Safati Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I switched from 1200 to 1500 but i don't see any changes for my weight????:sad:
  • Shirles99
    Shirles99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your exercise? and Eating the extra calories you "earn" with exercise? If so, I suggest you don't... it is extremely difficult for MyFitnessPal to determin the number of calories you burned accurately. I have met many people who don't lose weight if they eat the extra calories MyFitnessPal calculates they burn.

This is not to say you should not exercise. It is important to exercise while you are losing weight to maintain your muscle mass so your metabolism doesn't drop.

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I switched from 1200 to 1500 but i don't see any changes for my weight????:sad:
    How long have you done this? YOu have about 5 lbs to lose, which at best you will be able to lose 1/2 lb per week. Also, are you exercising, if so, how much?
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I should eat 1200 cals a day too. But I cannot . I eat about 1800 a day. 4 times a week I go to gym and burn 700 cals. So that brings me down to 1200 net a day for about 3-4 days a week, and net about 1700 or so for another 3 days a week. So far so good! 7 lbs gone in 3 weeks. I am sure half of it is water, but I still feel better in my clothes.