Budget of $100 a month on FOOD- HELP!

Options
I am a graduate student working at an internship and I am EXTREMLEY poor. I can barley make my rent and car payment, but I am still trying to eat healthy.

Anyone have any tips or advice on food?

I dont go out to eat (maybe ONCE a month)...I dont drink in bars/restaurant......I buy mostly fruits and veggies (frozen and fresh) and every now and then will buy some chicken.

I dont want to just buy ramen noodles (even though they are SO SO cheap) because I want to be healthier, regardless of how much $$ I have.

HELP! I only have $100 each month to spend on food.

Replies

• reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Look around your area for discount stores. I love going to little produce markets because they are considerably cheaper. My boyfriend makes fun of me because I like going to stores that cut down prices of foods that are close to expiration, but why not? So much cheaper. I also love Big Lots because they have all kind of healthy food for cheap. When I didn't have much money, I ate a lot of pasta, rice, sweet potatoes, beans, made stews, yogurt, ect. Things that I can make last for a while. I also had oats and peanut butter for breakfast... peanut butter and banana sandwiches... cheap and healthy. I find eating the same things makes it a lot easier on budgeting as well.

Have you looked into food stamps?
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    Eggs . Pinto Beans, lentils Tuna , buy the whole chicken , potatoes , make your own salsa and you can eat good and healthy
    seasonal items . Be creative and positive about it , Things will get better , and you'll learn how to live within budget . Best O f Luck
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you really need help w/ your budget --- I would sell my car if i didn't have food to eat. Seriously.
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    By the store brands instead of the name brands, or buy items in bulk (like beans and grains). Coupon for things (takes planning and patience, but you can save a lot like that). I don't know if you have stores like Aldi or Save-A-Lot in your area, but there prices are considerably cheaper than traditional grocery stores. Also, you might consider getting another source of income (a room mate, a second job, selling some items you don't need, etc). Good luck to you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

Carbs: potatoes, rice pasta
    protein: protein powder, whole chickens
    fat: peanut butter

Buy your veggies frozen
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that.

At that time I would make big lots of foods and freeze the leftovers to eat during the week...spaghetti sauce (with ground beef), homemade soup (with chicken). You definitely need to not have a problem with repetition, that's for sure.

I did it a long time ago when $100 went further. Do yourself a big big favor, swallow your pride, and apply for food stamps. Your health is the most important thing you've got.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    Focus on eggs, frozen items and canned goods. Rice, pasta can be found for quite cheap.

Beans are amazing and are also very cheap, this is also true of lentils and grains. Frozen vegetables are usually cheaper than fresh ones so that might be very useful in your case, and actually, in general. Don't forget about canned fruit too, as long as they are in water and not in syrop.

Sometimes buying more can be good on the long run if you make use of leftovers.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Dried Beans, eggs, rice, you can freeze "last chance" bread and produce.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, beans, rice, pasta, apples, bananas, bran flakes or puffed wheat cereal, oatmeal, eggs, wheat bread, peanut butter, whole chicken or chicken drumsticks and thighs, and a couple cases of cheap beer to wash it down.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This takes some pre-planning and thinking ahead for meals each time you shop. Buy a package of chicken when on sale, cook it all and use the broth for soup, pre-package some of the meat into containers and freeze for dinner next week, use some and stir fry it with whatever you have in the veggie drawer over rice for a meal, toss some into salad for lunch tomorrow. You can stretch it fairly far. My daughter is tight on her pennies right now and does use different types of canned beans to supplement her protein needs.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    See if "Bountiful Baskets" is in your area. You get a whole basket full of fruits and veggies for 16.50. Just google the name and see if it is available. Great way to get fresh produce and save money.
  • candy102389
    Options
    What I find helps me is eating the same thing for a week. Example this week I am having homemade chilli for lunch and Chickenand green peppers quesadillas for Dinner. I plan to see how much of each ingredient I need to last me the week. Also trying buying canned or frozen veggie or fruit not as healthy as fresh but better than junk.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you really need help w/ your budget --- I would sell my car if i didn't have food to eat. Seriously.

She might need that car to get around. There are some places where public transportation isn't always feasible. I live in Phoenix. I couldn't take public transportation from my apartment/house to any stores. It would take me 4 hours to get somewhere I could drive to in 10-15 minutes.

To the OP: I used to have a $100/month budget. The weekly grocery ads came in the junk mail flyers. I'd look those over and plan my meals around what was on sale. I'd buy certain things at Frys and then head over to Fresh and Easy to get something else that was cheaper. Or Walmart will price match ads if you can't go to multiple stores.
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    *Evaluate your budget and see if you can shrink some other expenditures. It sounds like you're already tracking your spending somewhat, but I highly recommend Mint.com if you're not using it already. It makes tracking spending and cash flow much easier.
    *Do look into food assistance programs.
    *Attend lectures with free food. (I certainly did that in grad school :) )
    *Buy DRY beans in bulk - they take more time to prepare than canned beans, but are often much cheaper.
    *Buy rice in bulk - it has a long shelf life.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi or another discount store? I usually shop there first and then get whatever else I need at Walmart or the grocery store. Since there is only one of you (I assume), when you do buy produce buy what you can eat before it goes bad or get creative with ways to use it up or freeze what you won't eat in the allotted time. You can buy meats and other items in bulk and freeze in smaller portions. Increase the number of meals you eat that include beans as the protein source. I think it can be done if you are creative and minimize waste. I spend about $100-120 per week for a family of 6 and we eat well.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree with the food stamps....$100 a month for food is not good---something to look into.

Discount stores (Aldi, Sav-a-Lot, Dented can type of stores)
    oats in the canisters
    eggs
    chicken thighs in the bag, save the bones for soup stock
    Try this site--maybe it will give you some ideas and you can make them healthy?
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can't afford your car payment if you only have $100 a month for food. Sell it and buy one cash. You're a poor college student, act like it. Do you get a federal tax refund? If you do, you're having too much withheld from your paychecks and you can reduce your weekly withholding to have more take-home pay.
  • pawsnpurrs
    Options
    try doing raw food cream cheese mixed with coco powder layered over bulk crushed nuts makes a great gluten free no bake cheesecake you can take 1 egg mix it with chopped pecans and add a little cinnamon make low carb pancakes make them a little bigger then half dollar add sliced banana to them when they are on plate hot or cold.. make your own cheese crackers slice your favorite cheese pop it on top of griddle or frying pan when it melts push it off with a spatula to a plate to cool and munch on
    healthy cheese low carb home made crackers.. chop up raisins and dates mix in chopped nuts roll into balls keep in frig for chewy gewy snack.. radish roses..pickle fans, hot cauliflower , popcorn goes a long way if you air pop it..so does rice crispness
    with fresh fruit.buy a few apples slice them thin hang them on string in your kitchen window or lay them out at night in your oven that is OFF but turn on the oven light..you will have dried apple rings..older cooked apples taste great over small spoonfuls of
    cottage cheese..old bread makes great french toast or bread pudding..Good Luck
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Whole chicken, break it down and use the carcass for stock.
  • 11BC11
    11BC11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Brown rice, black beans and lentils (dried) in 1 or 2 lbs bags will last several days and is very healthy. Better for you than American breads. Generic brand (frozen) veggies in 1 lbs bags are $1 each in my area. Go in with a friend to a bulk store like Sams or Costco.

Also, apply for food pantries at churches.