PolarHRM or the Fit Bit???

I'm looking into getting one but not sure which one would be the better of the 2? Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    They are two different devices. One is more of a pedometer (fit bit) and one displays your heart rate among a few other things. I have a hrm but plan on picking up a fit bit as well
  • ronaldheft
    ronaldheft Posts: 8 Member
    I use both. Fitbit tracks my normal activity throughout the day. Then I use my Polar HRM during my exercise sessions. I log the calories burned from exercise my HRM gives me in Fitbit and both the general activity and exercise get synced to MyFitnessPal via Fitbit. Works perfectly.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    They're 2 completely different things with 2 totally different uses so it depends on what you're looking for.

The FitBit is a super fancy pedometer. You use it to track all-day, motivate yourself to walk more, etc. It only tracks step based activity - so running but not weight lifting.

An HRM will track during a workout, but not all day. So for example you want to know how many calories you burn doing your Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies :laugh: video you'd want a HRM - WITH a chest strap. Don't cheap out and just get the watch one that is completely useless anyway.

I have both - FitBit Ultra and Polar ft4 HRM - I love them both and wouldn't give either up, but they both have their very separate uses.
  • Thank you everyone! I think I'm just going to go with the polar HRM because I have a sedentary job so I'm not worried about the "pedometer" features compared to actually wanting to know how many calories I'm burning during a workout session!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    I have looked into this recently and wll be purchasing a Polar FT7. I workout alot and I know the MFP exercise calories are way off he mark as are the cardio machines I use at the gym

HRM wont be 100% accurate either but I think it will be closer to what MFP calculates as calories burnt. Lots of people recommend the device with a chest strap. for reasearch Ive looked at You tube, on here under the search feature and on the polar website its self.

Have also heard that they dont monitor well though when weight lifting but thats ok, I'll still use mine, Im usually working up a good sweat so will be interesting to see what the heart is pumping hehe.