Eat More to Lose More? Really?

Options
124»

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sorry to thread jack, but if someone is hypothyroid, would the eating more concept apply to them too? I'm all for eating more!!
    Yes, I have Hashimotos disease and I am taking meds for it. Eating 2600+ as stated above
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I came from the 1200 calorie a day club and was sick and dizzy. I started the fat 2 fit method eating 2100 a day with my exercise, then got scared and went back down and nothing. So, I got a fit bit and it was right on with fat2fit. I have been losing 1/2 a lb a week eating between 1800 on sedentary days and 2100 on workout days. I never would have believed it!!
  • victoria090
    victoria090 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    what the heck is TDEE?
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    After being in a major plateau for a month...I'm giving it a shot.What do I have to lose?? I will try it for a month and see..

I was doing 30 Day Shred,and walking on the treadmill for an hour a day..eating 1300 calories give or take,and I am gaining 2 lbs a week????
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I finally changed my numbers to IMOARM today and I'm hoping i've not over or under estimated my activity level.... We shall see in a month. If not I can always change it back to MFP settings.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    After being in a major plateau for a month...I'm giving it a shot.What do I have to lose?? I will try it for a month and see..

I was doing 30 Day Shred,and walking on the treadmill for an hour a day..eating 1300 calories give or take,and I am gaining 2 lbs a week????
    then you've missed something. If you were doing 30DS, walking an hour on the treadmill, and it told you that TDEE -20% was 1300, there's a number missing somewhere.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER!
  • DebiS1972
    Options
    bump
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    For me it did.

When I tried to have a 1000 deficit a day it was so frustrating and my body was cranky and it revolted. I went to only a 500 deficit a day and the weight loss has been constant and I'm far less crabby and stressed!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing posts about eating more calories to lose more and to use your TDEE. Has anyone really tried this? Is this really right? If I ate my TDEE calories that would be just over 2000 per day! I've read the topic by Helloitsdan (In Place of a Road Map 2.0) and I'm just curious if anyone has tried this with success. Maybe I figured it out wrong....

Yes it works. It doesn't just work, it's a lot more sustainable in the long term than eating too few calories.

YOu don't eat all your TDEE calories, subtract 15-30% depending:

30% for the very obese while they still have a lot lot lot of fat to lose

20% for most people

15% (or maybe even just 10%) if you're already at a health body fat percentage and just want to lower it a bit to get more visible muscle definition
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    a lot of people have lost weight with Helloitsdan's advice, but I couldn't bring myself to try. Too scared of gaining instead.

Have you done the calculations? For me, (MFP + average exercise calories) was pretty much (TDEE -20%). The two systems use slightly different formulas, but for most people, the main difference is psychological. Do you prefer to earn your calories or have them given to you?

Most people who insist that there is a huge difference weren't eating back their exercise - they needed the higher goal because going past that lower number made them feel guilty, leaving them with low net calories.

Also, with the MFP method, some people work out extra to make up for food choices, to the point that they are wearing put their bodies for the specific purpose of putting in junk food. With TDEE-20, you can't justify that behavior.