The Fast Diet Challenge

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    I saw that programme and it does seem compelling. Its good that it was on the BBC because I feel they have a bit more integrity than other channels.

If I were you, I'd try one day fasting first.

I, however could not do it. I fail to see how I could go about working on a farm every day on 500 cal.

I sure hope its not "everyday"

My work? Yes its every day - agriculture is like that.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    If you end up doing great in a month, you won't know why. Trying a new fasting program may work or it could be the 30ds or the 6 week or it could be from cutting out bad habits. There will be no way to tell. I wish you the best! Hopefully, your big change of a month works for you.
  • No thanks i like my food!! I dont need to starve to lose weight!! :noway:
  • I do a 24 hour fast once a week, except for one week a month where I do a 36 hour fast instead. The fasting is zero calories during these periods, and I never feel like I'm starving.

Some weeks I may skip a fast if I'm just not feeling it. It's not a big deal. It's one strategy that can help some people.

I find it's easier for me to do this and keep to my weekly caloric total than it is to stay at a deficit every single day. So basically a typical week changes from 7 days of deficit to 3 days of deficit, 1 day of fasting and 3 days of maintenance.

I continue to run and power lift even on fasting days (though I generally try to schedule it for a run day.)
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    I spent Christmas with my brother and sister-in-law. I couldn't get over how slim and healthy they had become in the relatively short time since I last saw them.

They had seen the Fast Diet Horizon programme in August, and decided to give it a go. They were amazed at how easy it was, delighted they could still enjoy their favourite food and drink, and fit it in around social pressures like Christmas.

I'd seen the programme as well, and I'd also seen other articles in the years before. It's been known since the thirties that starvation extends life.

Anyway, there's nothing so reliable as seeing someone you know being successful with a diet, especially people like them. I'd never have thought either of them would bother with diets. So I'm giving it a go as well. This is my third week, and I'm finding it remarkably easy. I've only lost 2 pounds but I'm happy to lose slowly, and don't want to lose more than about 16lbs. At 2lbs every 3 weeks I should be where I want to be by the end of June.

Oh wow that's good to know. I did a 24 hour fast yesterday, plan on doing one a week and am also doing Alternate day fasting starting tomorrow.

Incorporated with my exercise regime with my wife I'm interested to see the results in a few months.

Not to mention the internal results that the scales don't measure.

The 24 hour fast last night was relatively easy, drank plenty of green tea and had loads of water, however this afternoon my stomach was a bit off after I had a veg stir fry, but just assume that's natural.

Best of luck to you.
  • bumping
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    I would like to point out that just because something is a fad diet doesn't necessarily make it worthless. Evaluate a diet based on its merits not on how new or popular it is.
  • I haven't been able to find any actual scientific studies that would support this kind of fad diet. You don't need to give your body that much time to do "maintenance". You do that every night while you are sleeping. A diet like this while doing a lot of exercise is also likely to deprive your body of necessary calories and cause you to lose muscle instead of fat.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    No thanks, I'll keep eating. Sounds horrible and I love food to much. Doesn't sound like a fun way to live.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Hey Guys today I bought 'The fast diet' book by Dr Michael Mosley (guy off BBC) half way through and he reckons letting your body essentially starve by cutting your calorific intake by 75% for any 2 days of the week is apparently meant to be amazing for you and your body and states studies have shown things like less chance of cancer, diabetes etc etc..

I know some of you guys are probably thinking, ''Wow, no way! 500 calories a day as if''

But I'm giving it a go starting tomorrow and Monday of every week. I'm only allowed 1400 calories a day now on MFP but struggle to even hit this.

I'm not anorexic or anything far from it but am allowed as much black tea/coffee, water as well as 370 calories for 2 days of the week. Should be interesting.

Oh and of top of this me and my wife are doing the 30 day shred and 6 week 6 pack.

It's all about lifestyle change people not 'fad' diets.

Like to hear what you all reckon.

Chris
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    You need to read the book a bit more carefully in my opinion.
    Two days should be non-consecutive, 600 calories for males not 500.

Yes you can train on fast days but my advice would be to take it easy the first few times to see how your body reacts. I do low impact exercise without any ill effects.

Make sure you keep your fluids up on fasting days as you will be missing some of the hydration you would normally get from food.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I am interested to know if the book cites any long term studies. I would give a lot of credit to someone who maintained that diet for a year or more and are not incarcerated.

The book is referring to intermittent fasting and there are a lot of studies that say it is healthy. Keep in mind that there are many ways to fast. There's alternate day fasting, 16 hour fasting, or the 5:2 day fast which is what Mosley does. Whichever you choose is up to you and your lifestyle. Link below is to the wiki article that has papers cited at the bottom if you want to learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

Thanks, Im familiar with IF, but this seems like it would be a completely different experience.....For myself at least.

But it IS IF.
  • Hi, We have been following the IF plan since August and have lost 14lb's. It takes a week or two to get into it but now it is something that is just part of our lifestyle. The main reason we did it is for the health benefits, reduced heart attack, stroke, dementia, diabetes and cancer risk. We have elderly parents whose quality of life, in their seventies, is impacted by all of these things and it is heart breaking to watch.

If we are going to live through to our eighties or nineties or beyond then we do not want the last twenty years of our life to be in a home not knowing who we are or being able to speak. If, by reducing what we eat on two days a week we can enjoy an additional twenty years of good quality life then it feels as though it is worth trying.

We hope you find it as beneficial as we have. Good luck.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Here is some info on the original TV programme and the benfits it had on his health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    sorry, wrong thread...
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Hi, We have been following the IF plan since August and have lost 14lb's. It takes a week or two to get into it but now it is something that is just part of our lifestyle. The main reason we did it is for the health benefits, reduced heart attack, stroke, dementia, diabetes and cancer risk. We have elderly parents whose quality of life, in their seventies, is impacted by all of these things and it is heart breaking to watch.

If we are going to live through to our eighties or nineties or beyond then we do not want the last twenty years of our life to be in a home not knowing who we are or being able to speak. If, by reducing what we eat on two days a week we can enjoy an additional twenty years of good quality life then it feels as though it is worth trying.

We hope you find it as beneficial as we have. Good luck.

THIS is exactly my reasoning too. Diabetes and dementia are common in my family and it's worth being proactive and trying out different things now to avoid these diseases. I'm fairly happy with my weight right now, so if I do lose any it'll be a bonus.

I can understand why everyone is skeptical, and yes the 5:2 diet is a fad right now, but have a look at the book before making knee-jerk condemnations. Mosley cites many many studies to back up his claims.

Just one point to the OP though--I would probably add one new regime at a time, give it time to become part of your routine, and then add the next one. Eg February start fasting, March start 30DS, etc.
  • Thanks everyone, the positive compliments are definitely appreciated, it's going really well and much easier than you'd initially of thought.

Risks involved in later life pretty much guarantee I'll be sticking to this for many years.

May you all live long and prosper :-)

(Vulcan Salute)
  • This is very interesting. I had no idea the benefits of fasting. 2 days a week doesn't seem so bad. I'll probably test this out in a few more months. Right now, I'm lucky to get through the day without binging!

Good luck, I really hope it works out for you.
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Bump
  • It's sad some people here think it is a fad diet. It's anything but. You just eat a lot less for 2 days a week. The thing Michael Mosley and all the other experts picked up on time and again is that we are NOT programmed to eat 3 square meals a day. We evolved in an environment where we killed, gorged, and fasted. Our bodies expect to have lean times and have adapted. We even use the lean time to repair ourselves. And to the sceptical, I would say just google it. There is a wealth of science out there to back it up.

There's still a good case for not eating the junk food so prevalent in Western society today, but I've done too many weightloss programmes where a big family get-together has left me feeling guilty about the roast potatoes, etc. Luckily I am a major vegetable fan so I don't eat badly most of the time - just too much

5:2 is a way to keep your weight under control without putting your life on hold. I choose Mondays and Thursdays because they are least likely to be disrupted by social eating events, and because I am normally at work, with a routine I can make fit around my eating plans. I'm in my 4th week and have lost 4lbs.

I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, and a big salad in the evening. You would be amazed how big a plate of food you can get for 250 calories when it is salad. For the first couple of weeks I felt deprived, but the hardest thing was to drink tea or coffee without milk. As I take skimmed milk in my tea anyway, I've sacrificed 50 calories from my evening meal to have milk in my tea and suddenly it's become easy

I've found what Dr Mosley says is true. Hunger doesn't build and build in waves. It gently knocks the door a few times a day and shuffles off when you don't answer. The less you answer the less it knocks.

I bought Dr Mosleys book but you really don't need to. Everything you need to know is on his web site. And there's not a lot there because there aren't a lot of rules. It's not an important part of his life - just something he does a couple of days a week and then forgets about. He's not a fanatic like Atkins or Sears