Help Craving Alcohol

Options
I am hoping writing this is cathartic.
I started my regime 14/1/13. It is severe but I am only keeping up this phase till hubby's birthday 10 in days. Lost 9lbs so far.

I said NO the the fish masala sandwich - had it with salad.

I said NO the the gooey chocolate cake my boss bought in.

Have come home and all I want to do is have Serious Quantities of Alcohol (SQA).

Since I got in from work, I have been good (effortlessly) except for my SQA craving. Its not a case of having one and it satisfying me, I know my drinking pattern when I have my SQA head on.

Psychologists say cravings only last 20mins. Well I got home round 7pm and its 10 now and I STILL want a DRINK.

I am not an alcoholic, Logically, I know this is about deprivation.

I am going to shut off the PC and take the tablet and a book to bed to stay away from SQA. Please how do I not say "I'll have a large Vod&tonic, when my hubby comes home from work and offers me a drink before he comes to bed.

HELP HELP HELP.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of denying yourself all of these things, you can let yourself have them in moderation. If they fit into your goals for the day, there is no reason not to have them.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of denying yourself all of these things, you can let yourself have them in moderation. If they fit into your goals for the day, there is no reason not to have them.
    Yep.

Vodka and tonic you can make with diet tonic water (regular tonic is deceptively high in calories) for 70 cals a drink.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No thank you.
    NothankyouNothankyouNothankyouNothankyou; repeat until it sticks.

That's how you don't agree to a drink when husband comes home. There's nothing to it but to do it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You know what won't make you feel better? Alcohol. You might feel like you're craving it now but that is a trick that your mind is playing on you. Always want what you can't have, right? So, stop doing that to yourself. Just skip it. Have ice water. Drink so much ice water that the thought of drinking anything else nauseates you. Because you don't need no boozes.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of sensitive about this. For me, this whole journey has been about CONTROL. I am in control of what food I eat, and I am in control of how much alcohol I drink.

If I have difficulty with control, as I do with SUGAR (I am a total sugar addict) then I control that very, very carefully. Basically I only allow myself sugary treats on special occasions.

I enjoy beer very much. Through my weight-loss journey I cut drastically back on how much beer I drink and have had no problem doing it and fitting it into my calorie goals. But if I did have a problem, where I felt I NEEDED a drink and didn't think I could stop at one, that would piss me off... and I just wouldn't have any. I would save that for special occasions like I do with sugar.

NEEDING food or alcohol or sugar is a bad place to be... very much out of control. That's how I gained the weight in the first place.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    I would have a drink (or 2 or 3!) almost every night with my husband, relaxing and winding down the day. I stopped drinking for diet reasons and overall health reasons on August 8th (but who's counting!?) and haven't looked back. In the beginning, yes it was hard and it sucked. But now, I feel like a new person and don't miss the hangover from the sugar/alcohol, don't miss the expense at the bar, and just overall am happy that I gave it up. I don't plan on giving it up forever, but for now it's the right thing.

I still make "fancy" drinks. I use my crystal glasses and make seltzer with a splash of cran with a lime garnish, etc. It's more mental for me than needing the alcohol. That might sound silly to you but it's really helped me.

ETA: I also don't miss the taco bell, mcdonalds, chinese food, pizza, etc. binges after having a few drinks and getting the munchies. I'm not sure if it's the alcohol calories that helped me lose just over 90lbs or the junk food I used to eat with it!
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That sounds so much like me except i will stop drinking for a while then suddenly start again. I enjoy drinking too much to ever give it up permanently.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just drink at the weekends. Easier said than done I know. Treat yourself to a hot chocolate during the week, at least you will feel you are treating yourself. The drink cals are what kills it for me too. God darn it :) Good luck.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. But I can admit, I have a drinking problem. There is no such thing as one drink or one shot for me. If it's there, I will drink it until I physically am unable to drink anything anymore. I know I have to quit but it's so hard for me to imagine life without drinking. I crave it quite a bit, and it doesn't go away. Of course, the calories are outrageous. Help??
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the 'sugar addict' line ..... look, you are depriving yourself of treats and things that are part of enjoying a happy lifestyle. Of course you get home and want to have something you have deemed 'bad' ... the craving sensations will continue until you learn to balance your wants of sweets and fatty foods with the need to maintain a healthy lifestyle. You can have both, you know.
  • jt032093
    Options
    I am trying to just have limited alcohol on the weekends. I was also a 1,2,3 drink a day.. Also, keep it out of the house, just like you would with candy or chips.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Vodka and tonic you can make with diet tonic water (regular tonic is deceptively high in calories) for 70 cals a drink.

Yes. Or wine. Stop thinking that you have to suffer to lose weight. You just have to work and count calories.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Yes. Or wine. Stop thinking that you have to suffer to lose weight. You just have to work and count calories.

Quoted for truth.
  • T2526
    T2526 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a glass(es) every day after work. When I finally decided I needed to get rid of the 20+ lbs I'd gained over the past couple of years the first thing I did was cut out alcohol intake. There's just no room in my daily intake for the extra calories. It was really difficult. Admittedly it still is (it's been a since November). Each time I crave a glass of wine (or anything with alcohol) I have a cup of tea. Taking the time to make the tea takes my mind off of my craving momentarily. Needless to say....I drink a ton of tea!!!! If and when we have a function to go to I don't abstain completely but I do take pre-cautions. Limit my amount when I can and/or drink vodka and diet coke if we're out for a night with friends. I also make sure to eat before we go out so that I don't cave in to snacking later on.

Again, it's still tough (nothing like a big glass of red on a cold night) but it's so very worth it.
  • Breizier
    Options
    There r a couple of cases of wine secreted around my living room that i hadn't even noticed since before xmas, but tolday the y are all calling my name.

I could actually fit 2 glasses of wine in my calories for the day. I don't want to because no matter how good i am alcohol stalls my weight loss. Plus the way i feel right now there would be no stopping at 1 or 2.
    I generally do not drink during the week, because i have work - i am lucky i don't get hangovers the older i get i just feel tired, but the craving just hit suddenly and still hasn't gone.

In a way I guess it could be worse. It could be for chocolate.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It is severe but I am only keeping up this phase till hubby's birthday 10 in days.

So what happens in 10 days?
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I drink to feel that happy feeling and be silly. Being honest. lol
  • cdandrea05
    Options
    I feel that there are different types of relationships with alcohol and one or more can apply depending on the person. Whatever your drinking patterns are, if you cannot reduce your drinking you should seek help. I enjoy moderate drinking (used to be daily-now a few nights per week) but on football gamedays i can easily drink 18+ beers throughout the day along with binging on junk food. I've found that you have to manage your weight every day of your life to reach your goals. This app has really helped me understand the math behind being overweight. It is hard to change habits for sure. This year I have set target weight goals by date that are in front of me as the screensaver on my Ipad. I tried to take into account a couple of long-weekend vacations where I know I will go over.

I'm kind of rambling here but the one thing I've found to be a recipe for success is to set realistic goals. I focus on gradual changes. I thrive off of eating light most of the day, earning calories at the gym and have room to spare at the end of the day. My highest weigh ever was 269. Started MFP in Jan 2012 at 261.8. Down 15lbs since which isn't earth shattering but I know why I didn't lose more and will correct it for 2013. My first goal was 247 by 1/24 and I'm at 246.8 today. Hitting the first of nine goals feels good. I worked a little harder for it but it feels good and provides even more motivation. Taking this to 199 by 1/1/14. I hope. Find what works for you and don't let one slip up mess up your plan.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I have to find a less severe sustainable regime. At pres i am doing the Dukan diet to kick start me so am eating almost nothing but protein. I am looking at the IIFYM since MFP makes calorie counting possible for me.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I only drink with friends and try to plan my friend days in advance. That way I'm good alll week long so I can have my friday night and get back on track saturday morning. Works for me. :)