I'm new to running

Options
What are great beginner running guides? I need to build up my lung muscles!

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Couch25K app.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    www.runnersworld.com

www.runnigntimes.com
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Couch25K app.
  • c_melanson
    c_melanson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely try out Couch to 5k. Starts you off easy and gradually increases through the weeks. My lungs suuuucked before I started it, like walk up 10 stairs and I'm out of breath sucked, but now I can successfully jog 5k in 45 mins. Not too bad for a beginner. So yeah, try it :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I "whatever" C25K.

Also, get fitted for good running shoes. Stretch before and after you run. Stay hydrated.

Have fun!
  • Ecox0313
    Ecox0313 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great. The right running shoes are a big factor. Also, you will need to learn how to breathe while running. This took me a while.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What are great beginner running guides? I need to build up my lung muscles!

Like everyone else here I will say C25K.

Feel free to repeat weeks if needed and run at a slow pace to increase your aerobic endurance. Running too fast will cause you to become anaerobic and slow your progress increasing distance and completing the program. Follow the program to completion first. Speed will come later.
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great. The right running shoes are a big factor. Also, you will need to learn how to breathe while running. This took me a while.

Can you let me know how you breathe differently while running? I mean this with all sincerity, I noticed it's something I have to work on as well and I'm not sure how to go about it! :)
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    Ditto all the abovw - C25K is brilliant at building up endurance etc.
    But i would also recommend swimming - i have found that i swim better by doing the running - and run better for doing the swimming as it all helps the lung capacity and breathing.
    Good Luck
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Read Running for Mortals, great book for beginner runners. Read it before doing C25K and it really helped me.
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K. It really starts you out slowly and I think it is great that you can focus on time as opposed to distance to start out.
  • aecole87
    aecole87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone try the RunKeeper app. It is awesome and they have lots of training programs that tell you exactly what to do on each day. Best of all it is free!