How can I make my smoothies more filling?

Options
I've started making breakfast smoothies since I don't make time to cook anything in the morning. Normally, my smoothie includes 1 cup frozen fruit blend, half a container of low fat yogurt, about 3 oz. OJ and maybe a handful of spinach. I blend that all with ice and drink during my drive to work. Well, this does not keep me full...I'm ready for lunch in about 2.5 - 3 hours. I keep thinking I need to add some type of protein or fiber to my smoothies but I'm not sure how to incorporate that. Oh yeah, my recipe above makes about a 16 oz. smoothie. Any suggestions???

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    try using more yogurt onstead of OJ. OJ is FULL of sugar and pointless calories. Try more fat free milk or yogurt to add more protein. Or protein powder
  • daffodilious
    daffodilious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you need scoop of whey in that smoothie, because I know if I didn't have protein for breakfast, I'd be starving after having that smoothie. I bought a box of vanilla Premier Protein high protein shakes (already mixed, 30g protein, 160 calories) and blend it with a cup of frozen strawberries for a 260 calorie breakfast. It works pretty well, and I find myself less hungry throughout the day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    2 cups fruit, whole container of yogurt, 6 oz juice, 2 handfuls of spinach
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Add a quarter cup of raw rolled oats to your smoothies... they grind right and add some healthy fiber to your smoothies. For more protein, add some natural peanut butter or other nut butter.

I think alot of people are going to advise you to add protein powder to your shakes. I try to sometimes, but i have yet to find one that doesn't upset my stomach.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I sometimes add coconut oil or avocado to mine for fat. My usual is blueberries, spinach, coconut oil, protein powder and water.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What you are making is a lot of sugar and water, that's why it's not filling you up, consider losing the orange juice or ice instead use more yoghurt or milk, a whole fresh orange or some canned citrus for speed. Protein powder or cottage cheese or low fat soft cheese for protein, half an avocado or some ground seeds for both fats and fibre. Best thing to do is just try a new recipe, either search for one on here or elsewhere online or adapy your own recipe. If it doesn't taste good try something different.

There is an orange/ spinach/ protein smoothie here, plus a berry/ avocado/ protein if your frozen fruits are berries
    http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/category/food/sane/smoothies
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do one of 2 smoothies every morning. They both have 1 Tbs pb2, 1/4 cup oatmeal, one banana, 4 oz almond milk.
    One variation is 1.5 cup frozen berries and 2 cups spinach. Number 2 is 1 Tbs cocoa powder 2 cups spinach and an extra Tbs pb2.
    Sometimes I toss in some chia seed or flax meal or almond flour. Sometimes i put a couple tsp of coconut oil in.
    full for 4 plus hours!
    A bit higher in cals, but worth it to not be starving!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lol.. add kale.. i could barely finish mine this morning. LOL

Flax seed, greek yogurt, fruit. whey powder

My normal recipe:

1/2 c plain greek yogurt
    1/4 cup 1% milk
    1 tbsp flax seed
    4 fresh frozen strawberries
    squeeze honey
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder

blend.

i find it very filling. and it's pretty thick too..

I added kale to it this morning.. very very filling. (and forgot the honey! Whoops! lol)

Quite honestly though.. being hungry 3 hours later is not uncommon or unhealthy. Can you bring something small to snack on at work? Nuts, or fruit or veggies???
  • bwahlers
    Options
    I recently found that by adding ground oats to your smoothie really helps it fill you up. It will add calories, but it's mostly fiber and I've noticed a big difference staying full longer. The trick is that you have to measure the dry oats and ground them in the blender prior to adding any liquid ingredients (or use a food processor). I've never tried it in a fruit smoothie like what you've described but here's my recipe and it is delicious:
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk- 40 cal
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt- 33 cal
    1 banana- 100 cal
    1 cup spinach- 6 cal
    1/4 cup rolled oats- 80 cal
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, and a touch of vanilla extract- 0 cal
    250 cal total and it will keep you full longer- still get you spinach and fruit (banana). This has almost a cinnamon roll taste which I love when it's cold!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I add all kinds of things to mine and they can get pretty filling. I don't add all of these to every smoothie, just some ideas of things you can add that will up protein and fiber.

flax seeds
    chia seeds
    nuts - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia, brazil, etc They each have different nutritional values

greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt
    cottage cheese
    tofu
    protein powder
    cream cheese

Obviously you'll need to track what you're putting in there because the calories can add up quickly, especially if you're using nuts. I weigh everything so I know exactly what I'm eating and can track accurately.
  • pensmurf
    pensmurf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder but watch so it is low in sugar. I add protein powder or reset meal replacement [ 130 cal ] handfull of frozen fresh spinach, 1 tbs of sugar free pudding [ love cheesecake pudding] ice
    and sugar free flavor syrup lots of flavors available. 1 1/2 cup water .makes a large glass plus for about 180-190 cal. I also add frozen fruit or fresh some time
  • bwahlers
    Options
    I recently found that by adding ground oats to your smoothie really helps it fill you up. It will add calories, but it's mostly fiber and I've noticed a big difference staying full longer. The trick is that you have to measure the dry oats and ground them in the blender prior to adding any liquid ingredients (or use a food processor). I've never tried it in a fruit smoothie like what you've described but here's my recipe and it is delicious:
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk- 40 cal
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt- 33 cal
    1 banana- 100 cal
    1 cup spinach- 6 cal
    1/4 cup rolled oats- 80 cal
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, and a touch of vanilla extract- 0 cal
    250 cal total and it will keep you full longer- still get you spinach and fruit (banana). This has almost a cinnamon roll taste which I love when it's cold!
  • bwahlers
    Options
    Ooops, posted twice. Sorry
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Chia or flax seeds, kale, greek yogurt
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    More protein and fibre! Try adding any of whey powder, cottage cheese, nut butter, greek yogurt, cauliflower, oats, pumpkin...
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I like mine with whey almond milk and either raw oats or psyllium. A little peanut butter helps too. I stay more satisfied if there is no fruit in them.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Smoothies aren't filling.
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Beef.

Actually greek yogurt works well but adds carbs and calories. I use ice and fruit or Dole Frozen Fruit a six pound bag is $10.98 at Sams, Pineapples, Mango, Peaches and strawberries....

Also Muscle Milk powder seems to have a better consistency than most, Just Whey products catch air and get "fluffy and sudsy" Met RX product and Muscle Milk are best for me so far. All of them average $8 a pound at Sams. Got Met RX at Krogers recently for $13.95 for 2 pound tub.
    Technically eating whole fruit is better for you according to Dr. Lustig (Book: Fat Chance) blending it kills the fiber. Great book if you are interested...
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I add all kinds of things to mine and they can get pretty filling. I don't add all of these to every smoothie, just some ideas of things you can add that will up protein and fiber.

flax seeds
    chia seeds
    nuts - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia, brazil, etc They each have different nutritional values

greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt
    cottage cheese
    tofu
    protein powder
    cream cheese

Obviously you'll need to track what you're putting in there because the calories can add up quickly, especially if you're using nuts. I weigh everything so I know exactly what I'm eating and can track accurately.

I love chia seeds in my smoothie.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds swell up with moisture to make you feel full, plus they are high in fiber and Omega 3's. Could also try flax seeds or protein powder. I use pea protein myself from Gemma. The White Birthday Cake flavor is delicious!