Military Diet? Good/Bad for you? - Work?

Options
I need to lose some weight and don't want to start any long diet plans or purchase any food plans (weight watchers, nutrisystem, etc) so I was doing some research about the Military Plan.. Seems a good way to lose some weight but at a quick time.. Do you think is a good plan to do? If not why wouldn't it work? Or have you tried it ? Were you successfull? I'm considering this.. Any advice good or bad would be recommended.. Thank you.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If something is called "The ______ Diet," it sucks.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

LOL nice! :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to copy & paste my previous reply for this type of thread:

These threads are running rampant today.

Look, most people on here have had success with maintaining a calorie deficit and putting in some old fashioned plain hard work (exercise). It works. It does. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You don't have to adhere to any other rules but that. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I hate all these "plans"... maybe they work for some but not for me.... I eat normal... just not as much, not as bad, not as often and have lost over 35 lbs. So without even knowing what the plan is I would say No Good LOL but again everyone is different
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ah I see here.. Sorry about the "dup" thread, my apologies.. I see where this is going, eaiser for the natural way..
    Gotcha makes sense.. Sorry again about duplicate topics..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's the descent of a yo-yo. When it comes back up, you will have lost a little muscle and replaced it with fat. You will end up just the teensiest bit fatter than you are now. I avoid plans designed to make me fatter.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you want to become fit like an enlisted service member, TRAIN and EAT like one. Being the in the military is not a short-term program. It's a lifestyle change.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I think you can get MREs by the case full at an Army/Navy store. Might be a tad better than Lean Cuisine... at least they come with cute little Tabasco bottles.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I was in the military. They worked our butts off and we ate everything and as much as we could get of it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    THIS DIET! though is guaranteed to work, no gimmicks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/860592-success-with-tdee-20
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    Really it shouldn't be a "diet" but more of a healthy new approach to food? that's the way I feel anyway,I still get to eat chocolate but in moderation and I'm feeling tons better already :)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Not being rude but this was the truth for me and worked amazing....
    I did the "Swearing of Fad Diets" Diet....and i have not looked back.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Generally any diet that cycles a few foods (and often very specific foods, not entire food **groups**) over a short few days is not going to do you any real good. You're not getting enough nutrients, you sure as hell aren't getting enough variety, and you won't have a back-up plan for when the allotted days are over.

It's ill advised from the start.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'm still disgusted by things like this. Putting "military" or "bootcamp" in front of something doesn't make it "bada**", "hardcore" or anything else like that.

Do you want to know a real military diet? Look at the food pyramid. Government food follows government documentation. Trust me, I'm with the government.

The best thing you can do is eat a little better (and a little less) move a bit more, and have some patience :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Being a former Marine, I simply don't like the fact that they advertise these as "military diets" or Marine Commando diets" or whatever...When I was in the Marines I was pretty much paid to train and ate at least 4,000 calories per day...and I'm probably estimating low.

Also...having tried a couple of "diets" in the past, I can tell you that I always had success...but never sustained success. Learning how to manage your caloric intake and understanding input/output of calories is key to sustained success in weight control. In the absence of that, most fail long term. Just my $.02.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think you can get MREs by the case full at an Army/Navy store. Might be a tad better than Lean Cuisine... at least they come with cute little Tabasco bottles.

Or a reese cup! They handed them out like candy during the hurricane so I think there's an extra case or two hanging around here.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    All the food I had in the military sucked. But if you are serious, set your goals to lose two pounds a week, buy a load of veggies, fruit and whole grains - then go run a few miles 3 times a week.
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's simple. Stop putting garbage in your mouth. Abstain from processed foods, no soda (not even diet), limit your carb intake. Eat clean. Prepare your own meals (not from a box or frozen bag).

Then, go lift some weights and do cardio on the off days.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

This! That is all!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    my husband tried to help me with that. reason he was only in the military for a year