RANT: VLCD and Lean mass!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    BRB, my toaster popped and my poptarts are calling.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Everything Granola said x infinity. It makes me sad that you are looking so hard to justify your unhealthy choices that you are even trying to misinterpret the data and fight the people trying to help you.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The bottom studies that you point to had a good caloric intake in their protocol, >2000 calories id hardly a VLCD!

What this shows, if anything, is that a higher caloric intake with with reduced carbs (or perhaps higher protein) is more effective for body recomposition than a slightly lower calorie diet with a greater proportion of carbohydrates.

That's hardly news to anyone, and flies in the face of what you were trying to show with this post.

Better luck next time.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Everything Granola said x infinity. It makes me sad that you are looking so hard to justify your unhealthy choices that you are even trying to misinterpret the data and fight the people trying to help you.

I'm not logging online specifically because of those in the EM2WL group (I'm logging my food in a notebook actually now), and any time I tried to give sound "eat less to lose, and don't eat when you're not hungry" advice, I would get flamed the hell out of there because my food journal showed on average1400 calorie days. As of now I still have 23% bodyfat, and I need to lose a little more before I can start bulking on muscles, So I am cutting calories, and I will not settle for 1 pound a week. That's just molasses slow! The only way to achieve that is by working more and cutting more, which... *points to study*

But since I'm not logging.. how do you know *what* choices I am making, much less how healthy they are. I'm not advocating a Very Low Calorie Diet, but I'm also not telling people who ARE doing a VLC/CD to stop. I have refeed days, and I have days where I will overeat on healthy carbs for my own reasons, and I have days where I eat over because I'm out with friends and letting loose (haha lose/loose almost tripped me up there)

This selection of studies wasn't an all inclusive "How to do this or that" it was a little bit of evidence for some people who love to throw a whole LOT of supposition and reasoning around, without ANY data to back up their assertions. When was the last time any of those high and mighty buggers posted a study, much less the particulars of it (rather than giving a summary)?

Hugs and kisses =)
    Chris
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Hugs and kisses doesn't make up for the fact that you posted average studies, and did not put adequate caveats on the information you provided.

If you were looking at the information YOU posted, you would know that as a male who is not in the obese category, there is NO evidence to suggest that a VLCD will work.

Look at this in more simplistic terms. The majority of people on this site don't know a lot about fat loss, and the best approaches to take to acheive their goals. Is it the best solution to post stuff like this without providing adequate context for those who are not knowledgeable enough to adequately question these studies for themselves? Probably not.

If you had the chance to talk to a whole bunch of people at once and give them the best, simplest and beneficial solution, would it be to promote a VLCD, or would it be to promote a moderate caloric deficit coupled with exercise?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this topic and a reminder of a couple of our community guidelines that aren't being as respected in this topic as I think fitting for our MFP Community:

From My FitnessPal Community Guidelines:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.