Strength Training w/out Bulking Up

rosaline1191
rosaline1191 Posts: 23 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm trying to start a strength training program but I'm scared of bulking up. While I'm fully aware I'm not going to look like a bodybuilder, in the past when I lifted, I built up muscles faster and bigger than most women. Are there any exercises for arms and legs that only require 5lb / 10lb?

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    I'm pretty muscular (and thus bulkier), too. I don't mind it though ... whoops! But the best way to strength train without bulking is lower weights and more reps. So if you were going to do 3 sets of 15 reps of X at 60 pounds, maybe do 6 sets of 15 at 30 or 40 pounds. But at the same time, make sure you're actually working. If the weight is too light, you're probably not doing enough to benefit your body. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • maybe ditch the weights and try a routine of push-ups and planks, there are lots of variations of both to try. push ups are the most efficient, effective exercise there is, hands down, great for your core, great for strength and endurance, great for everything. planks are a very intense type of exercise for your core, too
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Don't worry about getting bulky! I noticed in your "mini-goals" that you want to lose around 40 lbs. When the excess body fat weight is reduced, your natural athletic shape will appear and be wonderful! Try to incorporate some high intensity cardio and appropriate nutrition. You will be amazed how quickly your body composition changes for the better! Good luck with your fitness journey.
This discussion has been closed.