Discouraged and doing it alone :(

Options
I just recently joined the site, but I've been dieting for 4 months on my own. Several years ago I had decent success going to a diet clinic that had me eating 1200 calories a day, so I just decided that should work for me now too. I started out at 288 lbs. and am now down to 250, but I've been stuck for about 3 weeks now gaining and losing the same two pounds. I'm 5'6" and have been doing the 3 mile walk with Leslie video or just walking for 30 minutes at 3.5mph daily. I had read that I might need to increase my calories, so I've been trying that and now I've gained 3lbs. I'm getting pretty discouraged with so much more left to lose (my goal is 150) and not sure what to do at this point :(

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged. Just sounds like a normal plateau. Search the "revised roadmap" and i will say ot is rather long, read it followit. It will help u.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of upping calorie intake you could try some new exercises that maybe a little more demanding, that make you burn up a sweat! Also changing your foods around but keeping it within your recommended calorie intake :) Upping your suggested amount will not help! You are not alone, stay strong!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Lets be friends and support each other.

Have you determined what your goal weight will be?
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

Then you'll need to find out how many calories you should be eating to maintain your goal weight:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

The subtract 20% from that number and that's what you eat.

I also recommend that you vary your cardio exercises. Your body will become accustomed to the same thing over and over. And incorporate strength training.

You aren't doing this alone. There's LOTS of us out here!

And YES! Those links above ^^ are great reads!
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    First - you are not alone! We are all here for you.

Giving into a temptation once in awhile is not failure. Going over on your calories occationally is not failure. Not being able to make it to the gym today is not failure. Slipping into old habits for a day or two is not failure. As long as you are trying you have not failed. When you quit is when you have failed!

You (we can do this). Add me if you would like! We will help each other on the journey!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of upping calorie intake you could try some new exercises that maybe a little more demanding, that make you burn up a sweat! Also changing your foods around but keeping it within your recommended calorie intake :) Upping your suggested amount will not help! You are not alone, stay strong!

Don't listen to this. I've lost 60 pounds eating 1700-2200 cals a day with moderate exercise. . I started at 290 pounds.

Please go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I stalled at low calories and this is what helped me! Add me for support if you like. No need to be frustrated at 1200 cals :smile:
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think if you have a 'recommended' calorie intake based on height, weight and activity (like you get on this site) its a good idea to stick to it :)
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    you are doing wonderful! dont pay attention to the scale. I wouldnt even weigh myself for another 2 weeks at least. Maybe switch up your exercise a little bit? Just keep going, dont quit!! Good Luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What you are experiencing with your increase in calories is a metabolic reset. When we eat at a certain calorie intake for so long, our bodies start adjusting to that and you eventually plateau. Gaining a few pounds during reset is completely normal...eventually, your metabolism will be reset and will start burning again at that higher level of calories. Listen to the people that have been doing this for a long time and lost tons of weight. Having to reset is pretty normal when you eat at a deficit for a long period of time.
  • Marg3030
    Marg3030 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From past experience and hearing about other people who get stuck on a plateau, the first thing I would say is try not to be discouraged - easier said than done. Sometimes changing routine seems to have a good effect - more protein at breakfast, eggs instead of cereal, changing exercise routines. Also I have found a loss or gain shows later than I expect. I am trying to get back from my top weight again. Keep thinking how well you have done so far.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    What you are experiencing with your increase in calories is a metabolic reset. When we eat at a certain calorie intake for so long, our bodies start adjusting to that and you eventually plateau. Gaining a few pounds during reset is completely normal...eventually, your metabolism will be reset and will start burning again at that higher level of calories. Listen to the people that have been doing this for a long time and lost tons of weight. Having to reset is pretty normal when you eat at a deficit for a long period of time.

True. It is normal to gain a bit of water weight at first but that goes away and you begin losing again. Happened to me. No need to panic. :smile: Give your body time to adjust. Trust me it will be worth it.
  • zatannagu
    zatannagu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I plateau for a while I'll take my measurements to see if they have changed. Loss doesn't always show up on the scale but your clothes might be looser, but your body might still be going through other changes.

For me I would try eating different foods to switch up, and I would also try another activity. Since you are walking I would change where I walked, or I would try walking a bit faster than I had been. After a while your body gets used to walking at a certain pace and won't get your heart moving like it used to.
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    38 pounds in four months is an awesome record. This is almost like a message to myself, but don't judge yourself just by weight, be thankful or rejoice in your other traits as a person. You will lose more weight, sometimes it takes a while, because your body is adjusting in water weight, building muscle, or just experiencing some ups and downs. Remember to eat healthy foods. (This is a laugh for me to say.) Be good to yourself.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    If you are confused by all the TDEE/BMR talk on the Roadmap, an easier way to help right now is to go into your MFP goals and set your weight loss goal to 1 pound a week goal instead of 2 pounds/week. This will give you the calorie boost you need and still let you lose weight. You may be surprised and lose more than 1 pound a week like I did! If you have yourself set to sedentary, be sure to eat at least half of your exercise cals back. If you set yourself to lightly or moderately active don't eat any back. Just my suggestion on that one!

So do that, and then read the Roadmap post at your leisure. You can figure out the exact numbers later :smile:
  • Arivayle
    Options
    I suppose I should probably mention that I work midnight shift so my eating schedule is so bizarre sometimes. I work in a laboratory as the only tech at night so sometimes running around with a sandwich as I work is about the only time I get to eat during the biggest portion of my awake time. I'll be honest and say I have never actually taken any measurements so I wouldn't notice an inch lost or gained :/. I haven't really had anyone to talk to about this until now and I work with a lot of skinny women who seem to be able to eat their own weight in pizza and not gain an ounce while I can look at chocolate cake from across the room and gain 5lbs. Argh!
  • emyleigh2005
    Options
    You are not alone, there are a lot of great people and resources on this site. Feel free to add me. My suggestion would be is to add some strength training - as muscle burns more calories than fat -I do strength training 3 times per week, it also helps to measure your inches when the scale isn't moving, as suggestedbefore, I track my inches and know when I"ve lost fat that way even if the scale isn't moving.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    alot of people hit the wall at some point you got this
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. Changing up things, varying exercise routines, etc. are all good things and may help. One thing that I did not see brought up by anyone so far is if you are eating a lot of so called diet foods that are commercially prepared, they may be low in calories or fat, but many times to make up for taste there is a lot of sodium in these products which will cause you to hold water weight. Even diet soda though it has no sugar, does have sodium. Make sure you are drinking at least eight glasses of water. This will help your body flush out the toxins and if you are not eating a lot of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and non processed foods you may want to incorporate more of them in your diet.
    Don't be discouraged. We are here for you. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you wish.
  • MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options

THIS!!

Mix up what you are doing!! It should help! :)

PS: If anyone is looking for buddies...I'm a good buddy! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    you've done fantastic on your own. now quit doign it on your own & friend folks! anyone can friend me if you like.
    re: your calories I'm 5" shorter than you & i'm at 1200 calories. you may be a bit low. do the work sheet & dont feel bad if it gives you more caloires at first, they work you down.