DDR Exercise

Options
Hey just an idea for people out there who struggle with exercise being boring, or embarrassing or whatever other reason not to leave the house to do it! I have an Xbox 360 and found a game called Dance Dance Universe 2, holy cow its a good fun workout! For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Its a mat on the floor with 4 arrows on it, the screen will have arrows floating up to music, and you have to step on the arrows in time to the song......increase the arrows speed or complexity and wow ! It even has a calorie counter and step counter, like any exercise tho, it can be done an easy way, but if you jump in between beats like skipping its awesome and would easily double the estimated calories burned! Anyways I'm going to try this as my primary form of exercise, and i guess we will see how well it works in a few weeks!

Replies

• bushidosword
    bushidosword Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey just an idea for people out there who struggle with exercise being boring, or embarrassing or whatever other reason not to leave the house to do it! I have an Xbox 360 and found a game called Dance Dance Universe 2, holy cow its a good fun workout! For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Its a mat on the floor with 4 arrows on it, the screen will have arrows floating up to music, and you have to step on the arrows in time to the song......increase the arrows speed or complexity and wow ! It even has a calorie counter and step counter, like any exercise tho, it can be done an easy way, but if you jump in between beats like skipping its awesome and would easily double the estimated calories burned! Anyways I'm going to try this as my primary form of exercise, and i guess we will see how well it works in a few weeks!
  • keepontrying74
    Options
    I bought this for my PS2 a couple years ago based on the reccomendation of someone who lost several pounds using this as their main form of exercise. I think it's really fun and my kids love it too, so it's aerobic fun for the whole family. :tongue:
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I used this as my primary source of exercise for the first two months and steadily lost weight!
    it's great!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I do it on my PS2 M-W-F for 30-60 minutes.
    I set up a random playlist for 30 minutes. Then I do another one for 20 minutes. I sweat like a pig and sometimes if it is a slower one I dance in between beats or jumping jacks. I also sometimes use hand weights along with it and ankle weights. Then I turn that off, turn on the radio, grab my weights do arms, also my stretch band and do abs, legs and arms.
    It's my primary source of cardio.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I just ordered one for my PS3, hope it helps! WISH ME LUCK!
  • jenbar
    Options
    I just finished my workout. I did 30 minutes on my difficult random, then did 20 minutes on order 4?. Burned 280? but I honestly think it's more.
  • lifesaver
    Options
    I do it on my PS2 M-W-F for 30-60 minutes.
    I set up a random playlist for 30 minutes. Then I do another one for 20 minutes. I sweat like a pig and sometimes if it is a slower one I dance in between beats or jumping jacks. I also sometimes use hand weights along with it and ankle weights. Then I turn that off, turn on the radio, grab my weights do arms, also my stretch band and do abs, legs and arms.
    It's my primary source of cardio.

how do you set up a playlist?
  • ConnieD
    ConnieD Posts: 2
    Options
    What is the exact name of the game you buy for PS2?? We have a PS2 and this sounds like something my entire family would enjoy. I want to order it today - but not sure what to order? Can someone help?? thanks - Connie
  • lifesaver
    Options
    the game I have is Dance Dance Revolution Supernova or something haha
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    This is LITERALLY the only way I can get my boyfriend off his butt to exercise! We love our Dance Dance game... we have the Supernova version. It has a workout mode where you can set a goal to dance until you reach or certain time or even a certain number of calories. During finals week when I couldn't make it to the gym b/c of time, I would occasionally take 15-30 minutes breaks and play dance dance to get my exercise in. It's a blast!
  • jenbar
    Options
    I do it every M-W-F. I just bought a watch that tells me my heart rate and calories. So... I wore it, started the watch when I started my workout and I did DDR for 60 minutes, then floor exercises with my stretch band for about another 20 minutes and the watch told me I burned 714 CALORIES!! I knew the calorie counter on the game wasn't accurate!!
    I LOVE THIS WATCH!
    MIO, got it at Walmart.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    There are many titles for this game. I just look on the back and see what songs I like best....

But get this... there is one for the play station 2

(if you have playstation 3) you can play the games from any of the systems. Same if you have PS2 you can play PS1 games.

Anyway, for PS 2 there is a game where you can put in any MUSIC cd and it will create a work out based on that song.

I keep seeing and wanting to get it at some point. It's only 19.99 well worth it.

I haven't pulled out that system in a while, I thik starting April I will. I'm going to have a weekend of cheats and then get my butt working again!
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    I do it every M-W-F. I just bought a watch that tells me my heart rate and calories. So... I wore it, started the watch when I started my workout and I did DDR for 60 minutes, then floor exercises with my stretch band for about another 20 minutes and the watch told me I burned 714 CALORIES!! I knew the calorie counter on the game wasn't accurate!!
    I LOVE THIS WATCH!
    MIO, got it at Walmart.

By how much is the game off? I think it goes off based on how many "steps" you did.
  • jenbar
    Options
    Shoot! I just saw this after I did it and didn't look!
    I think it's off my 100 or so. I'll look next time I do it.
    I also go right into floor exercises for 10-15 min. and today I burned 608 with both combined.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    We got ours today released on the Wii today in the UK we have been playing on it all afternoon and most of tonight I would say about 6 hours and my legs are killing me my pedometer also clocked up 27781 my usual is about 15000 and oh my god how much fun it has been can't wait to beat my records tomorrow.

Recommended to everyone (my dad who says he hates dancing games had a go and then another and so on and my mum who has never played a computer game had a go and couldn't stop laughing and she could do it)