Help with dieting saboteurs

Options
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you have people in your life that tell you "you don't need to lose weight" or "but you're fine the way you are" when you tell them you want to try to lose some weight. I have tried switching to telling people I am trying to make healthy choices, but friends and especially guys tell me I have a great body and shouldn't worry.

For me, it's more about being strong and fitting well into my clothes, and I know that right now, I'm too heavy and am not fitting into a lot of my pants.

I really would like some support toward my weight loss goals but it feels like the opposite is happening. Help!

Replies

• Roxyann
    Roxyann Posts: 35
    Options
    My husband is my problem. He has a lot of medical problems. His doctors have him eatting things like:

Cake, cookies, ice cream, chip ect. everyday. Over 50% of our money goes for junk food for him. He has to eat this way to keep weight on him or in the hospital he goes.

Me on the other hand I have been diabetic for 42 years, I have always been big around 225 pounds most of my live until we go married 18 years ago. At my biggest I got to 275, but now I am 246 and working hard to take it off. Myfitnesspal is been a live saver for me.

Took me a long time to say I am important just like he is. I have to get my health in order to take care of him later in life. I am 56 and plan to live a better life than I did the first 56.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    He needs calorie dense foods not crap. He could easily get extra calories from much healthier choices that also would be far cheaper. If he needs calories quick, PEANUT BUTTER and Jelly sandwiches are cheap and with gobs of peanut butter one sandwich could reach 1000 calories. I'd almost say he's full of crap that his doctor told him to load up on that stuff.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if any of you have people in your life that tell you "you don't need to lose weight" or "but you're fine the way you are" when you tell them you want to try to lose some weight. I have tried switching to telling people I am trying to make healthy choices, but friends and especially guys tell me I have a great body and shouldn't worry.

For me, it's more about being strong and fitting well into my clothes, and I know that right now, I'm too heavy and am not fitting into a lot of my pants.

I really would like some support toward my weight loss goals but it feels like the opposite is happening. Help!

Ignore them. Keep striving to reach your goal weight. I found very quickly everyone else I knew was all of the sudden "dieting".
  • klackey23
    Options
    I think saying you're trying to eat healthlier is the way to go, but it sounds like you tried that without success. I avoided telling people I was trying to lose weight because I think no matter what weight you're at, people will always say 'You look fine', because they think they're being nice. So just lose the weight you want without much discussion with friends/family and they'll likely take notice and start complimenting you. And if they're offering you sweets or other food you don't want, just get used to saying, "No, thank you" a lot.

5302942.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools