It is NOT that simple.

Options

Replies

• Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1100 caloris per day.... you probably had your body in starvation mode and it was trying to save everything it could. When you drop to too few calories, your body gets very stressed and produces cortisol which tells it to shut down and store anything it can as fat.

Low calorie is not always the answer. The right foods (quality and never less then 20% less than TDEE) will get you going in the right direction. Starvation diets don't work. 1100 calories per day seems rather close to starvation. I eat on average about 2,400 calories per day. With a reasonable work out plan, i lose a pound per week. Currently at 200 on my way to teh low 190s...

Good luck!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    skinny fat is real thing. A "skinny" aka small, thin, not large or what one would call normally fat person, having poor body composition. One that is high in fat content. If you prefer your body composition to that of a lean muscular person then you should not feel shame. But your body is in fact fatter regardless of the space it takes up. Those are just facts.

^^sorry meant to quote the person who said skinny fat is shaming un muscular "healthy" women

yes it's fatter than a lean muscular person, but it's not equivalent to an obese person. i also think it's used way too often on here. having a little bit of fat is normal on a woman. most thin women will be within the range of normal for body fat percentage even if some people might judge them as "skinny fat".

The term skinny fat does get overused and misused a lot on here. And lots of people have their own definitions for it, and think they are being scientific and stating a fact. The OP claims that well nourished thin and active people with muscle are skinny fat because they eat a lot. But, usually "skinny fat" is the result of under eating, and not exercising and losing LBM. Otherwise she is encouraging an eating disorder. Slender people need to eat a lot, so they do not lose weight.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    lol...yhu mad bro?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as a "skinny fat" person--who may not be "obese" but is still extremely unhealthy.

I really hate this term and think it needs to stop. It's used way too much to shame otherwise healthy women who just happen to not be muscular. I don't believe you have to be muscular in order to be healthy.

Honey, you made it very clear how you feel about muscle tone!

huh? where did i do that? i like muscle tone. point me to a post where i said i don't like muscle tone. thanks.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    How long did you consume 1100 cals per day for and do you still have those tracking records?

Roughly a year, possibly more. But it was mostly processed foods--just smaller quantities.

Weightloss is magic

what makes you think you were overweight at 1100 calories a day?

Ummm... Being 235 lb. Am I understanding this question correctly? I was clinically obese and was only consuming 1100 cals a day. I increased my intake, but changed the quality of food, and lost 60 lb.

I think it is more likely you did not track properly
    I second this. Processed foods are very high in calories. You probably ate way more than you were telling yourself. It is easy to do if you are not being meticulous. Guestimations = fail.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't think she was using skinny fat to insult body type, but to describe a skinny person's health being just as bad as an obese person's because they eat piles of **** wrapped in bacon...

well yeah in that case it's true. eating a crappy diet is bad. most people don't use the term skinny fat to mean that. they use it to mean skinny, but not muscular. that's why i hate the term.

In that context, it's an extreme loss of muscle. The term isn't even applied to waify catwalk models, or just thin people as a whole. The term is for the loss of "weight," but not loss of body fat. As in, being skinny, but not having a necessarily low body fat % because of lost muscle (versus thin people who may be at a lower body fat % because they DO have muscle, just not strengthened or developed).
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't think she was using skinny fat to insult body type, but to describe a skinny person's health being just as bad as an obese person's because they eat piles of **** wrapped in bacon...

well yeah in that case it's true. eating a crappy diet is bad. most people don't use the term skinny fat to mean that. they use it to mean skinny, but not muscular. that's why i hate the term.

I disagree there. Skinny fat means that yes they are at a healthy BMR and a healthy weight, but still at an unhealthy body fat percentage
  • Aviva92
    Options

I disagree there. Skinny fat means that yes they are at a healthy BMR and a healthy weight, but still at an unhealthy body fat percentage

I think this happening is pretty rare.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    <- Eats a lot of processed food.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Actually I heard a doctor on NPR last week and he basically said that calories in and calories out is a fallacy. He advocated for eating whole foods, which is the basis of the whole clean eating movement. Below is the blurb from when he was on Talk of the Nation Science Friday:

In his new book Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease, endocrinologist and obesity doc Robert Lustig deconstructs the mythology of fat. He says exercise, for all its benefits, won't help you shed pounds -- and that fasting only worsens weight gain.

He was also on the Diane Rehm show when a nutritionist called in saying that weight loss is all about calories in and calories out, he basically tore her a new one.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    . There is such a thing as a "skinny fat" person--who may not be "obese" but is still extremely unhealthy. There are thin people who eat 2500 cals/day and obese people who eat 1000 cals/day.

Wrong. Thin people who eat 2500 calories a day are not skinny fat. They have muscle and are very active. That is why they can eat a lot. It's because of low body fat. I am slender and I have low body fat, so I have to eat more (especially when I am very active) so that I do not lose unwanted weight. I'm not saying I have tons of muscles (plenty women on here have more muscle than me), but in my own body ratio I have low body fat to lean body mass ratio for my size (which is small).

I stayed at 135 for 6 months, skinny fat at about 5000 a day. Of course I worked out 3 hours a day

Maybe a different scenario. I never lost weight and have always been slim and fit, so just coming from a different place.

With all this said, I do think micro and macro nutrition is very important to health. And health is my focus (not weight loss). Although the definition of healthy eating will vary from person to person (and depending on that person's health and fitness goals), obviously. I don't advocate a strict, restrictive style of eating.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I just think it takes a lot of nerve to start on a new program and immediately tell everyone else that they're doing it wrong.

It's your first month here.

If you don't want to use the free calorie counting app and take the advice in the free forums you certainly don't have to.

But for us it's working. LOTS of us. Maybe instead of insisting you're right about everything you could try listening.

But if not you're absolutely free to go. If you're against the idea of counting calories you probably shouldn't use a calorie counting website.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

In that context, it's an extreme loss of muscle. The term isn't even applied to waify catwalk models, or just thin people as a whole. The term is for the loss of "weight," but not loss of body fat. As in, being skinny, but not having a necessarily low body fat % because of lost muscle (versus thin people who may be at a lower body fat % because they DO have muscle, just not strengthened or developed).

Yeah, this is a good explanation.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    pfft......... I agree with valerie here, almost a year ago I was what most of you would label skinny fat. Oh well, it was a before for a challenge a year ago...

perfect health, teaching yoga, and can do handstand pushups and so on quite easily. Chin-ups and pull ups? Many. Planks? I can stay in them forever. Jumping rope? Got that too. You might think I look scrawny but I am functionally fit. Crappy picture but I feel no need to get pats on the head from strangers here.

Bad lighting made my hip and one of my legs disappear? Who cares? I look great now, so.....
    6671284395_d2550e48b8_m.jpg
    [/quote]

I'm here to watch micros, not calories.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I disagree.

Go to a WW meeting. You'll find loads of "skinny fat" people there. I used to be one of them.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You could have used the time spent writing this in a much more useful way....
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You skimmed over the part where a trainer told you to eat more. This trainer, what did they train you to do? Did you also begin an effective exercise program at the same time as eating different foods. Can you tell us more about this exercise? Is there any possibility that the change in your exercise habits contributed to your newfound weightloss? Or does that hurt your narrative?

Yes, but I wasn't a workout fiend, and I had been working out before. The activity wasn't a very great increase. It only increased by about one day a week (went from 2-3 days on average to 4 days on average). And again, still doesn't "explain" how I was unable to lose weight on a calorie deficit. If that were that simple, I would've already been losing, wouldn't I?

Whoever asked how I was counting... I was using nutritional labels (since everything was packaged...) and keeping a paper journal. At the time, I was not aware of websites like MFP, so I was doing it "old school". So... eat a protein bar, write it down directly from the label. Eat a TV dinner? Write it from the label. That's how it was back then. And most of my cals came from carbs. I wasn't really making my own food at that time, so it was fairly simple to record what was on the label.

And I applaud all of you who are able to lose with the simple calorie deficit. But assuming it works for everyone and attacking anyone who says anything differently (this thread is a perfect picture of that) is just plain arrogant and ignorant. Perhaps there are "outside factors" for someone not losing weight--hypothyroid, medical condition, whatever--but that doesn't justify talking down to people and being condescending simply because they offer an alternative point of view. Clearly it can work for MOST, but true health is much more than BF% or BMI. The food you eat literally becomes your cells. So yeah, even if someone is not obese, they can still develop cancer, or diabetes, or heart disease, because even if they ear fewer cals than they burn, they eat crap.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to increase cals or that CI/CO can't work, but that it's one piece of health, and may not work for everyone. For those who are struggling with losing weight and are constantly told, "It's so simple!!!" It's degrading and frustrating for those of us who do carry a calorie deficit and may still struggle. I see so many posts of people (usually women) saying they've been under their count for so long now and seeing no results--or even gaining--and then a bunch of people (usually men) jump on them and tell them "it's so simple", when it's really not. It's way more complex than that.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

nope. I was one of them. I was close to overweight body fat % at a healthy weight.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Wow, binknbaby! You really seemed to tick some people off, for some reason! Lol. First off, 1,100 calories is ridiculously low!!! I completely agree with your post. Can some people lose weight with this? Sure, probably, however, it will so destroy your metabolism! Your body will initially go into starvation mode, and hold on to everything!!!! Obviously, which slows metabolism. It is true that at times when I cut back too much on my calories, I wouldn't lose, but after a couple days of increasing calories, I actually LOST weight. I've done this several times, in fact. Sometimes you need to "reset" your body. Once you have lost so much weight, your body does tend to slow down metabolism, and it's time to take a little break. Increase your calories and GAIN 1-2 pounds. Once you've done that, lose the weight again by decreasing, and do it again. Then your body will be a fat burning machine once again! This is the Curves philosophy, and it has worked wonders for me! I am an RN, which means I have studied anatomy and physiology, and have a basic knowledge of nutrition, as well. I've also been fat all my life, and have tried every diet known to man, as well as every diet pill. Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit on that, but you get the picture. I am the skinniest right now that I have ever been, and I have been keeping it off. I don't follow MFP to a T, as far as protein and fat intake. My intake on that is usually over, while my carbs are usually under, but I try to stay under calories. I have lost 60lb's total, and have actually lost 100lb's if you include 5 or 6 years ago! Settle down folks, and take a chill pill. Believe it or not, the body really is a complicated thing, and in vs out is actually the old way of thinking. Studies have shown that there really is more to it than that.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I disagree.

Go to a WW meeting. You'll find loads of "skinny fat" people there. I used to be one of them.

I think the term is used too loosely and I would disagree.