friends and family encouraging unhealthy eating

Options
I've been doing mfp properly for about a week and a half. I'm eating less, compartively to the amount i ate before. I'm eating far better, healthier.

However, my friends and family keep encouraging me to eat badly. "It's just one burger", when i've reach my calorie goal for the day. Sure if i had the calories avalible I would indulge on something like that. I'm finding it a little difficult, the lack of support.

Any advice?

han x

Replies

• JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    You have to ignore it....My 165 lb husband constantly eats crap, I just remember that I'm healthy inside and he is not.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    My family eats what they want to eat. Most of it is unhealthy. I just tune it out.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The "just one more burger" mindset is how, most of us, got into this predicament. Just explain that you are eating healthier and have a set calorie limit. You are determined to do this for your health and well being. When you can, you will partake, but when you can't, you don't want to be pushed on the issue.

Good luck with your problem and your continued goals! You can do this!!
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    yeah, its true, just hard when you want to eat it x
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    thanks emily :D, looking forward to meeting my goal on 2013! x
  • dreamer2452
    dreamer2452 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live with my boyfriend and he is the same way. Now that im really focused on eating better i make my own meals while he has fast food.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I live with my boyfriend and he is the same way. Now that im really focused on eating better i make my own meals while he has fast food.

as long as he isn't taunting you with fast food then there is no problem with that. the fact he's eating unhealthy food isn't "encouraging" you to eat unhealthy food.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It is hard, it can be very hard :) But totally worth it!

It does get easier when you keep at it. You will have bad days, but they will lessen :) When people see you sticking with it, they have the tendency to get behind you and the pushing will lessen :)
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Any advice?

han x

punch them for saying stupid crap like "it is only one burger."
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    thanks guys for the support, good to know i'm not the only one :) x
  • Hannahmave
    Options

Any advice?

han x

punch them for saying stupid crap like "it is only one burger."

ha! a throat punch IS the answer! x
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You can't change family or friends. They will change when they are ready to change. Stand your ground. It helps to live with someone or have a close friend who has the same goals as you. Get a support buddy. Find a friend that likes to go on walks instead of eating. So much of our quality family/friend time involves eating. It's hard to change behaviors, but it can be done. I'm a recovering food addict. I must remember this always.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If it's them actually saying stuff to you that makes you want to indulge you might just want to not let them know why you are saying no to the burger, just say you are full or something like that. If it is the temptation of seeing them eat it that is hard to resist you'll need to try different things to see what it works. Bottom line is don't stop trying!
  • KatieRusk
    KatieRusk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I’m faced with that situation I do two things: One, I think about how hard I worked out that morning, the sweat, the grunting, the aches… if I give into my friends and eat that burger, all that hard work was for nothing!! Two, I remember how great and exciting it is to step on the scale and see another pound lost! That feeling is far more satisfying than a hamburger! It takes 21 days for something to become a habit. You can do it! Soon enough your friends will be complimenting you and asking you for tips! :)
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You could always start pointing to your problem areas and say, "And this was just one burger and this was just one piece of cake and this was just one bag of chips and this was just one medium size pizza..."

Either you are dealing with people who truly don't understand that having "just one" could be bad because they see you losing weight and think you can do it so easily, or they feel guilty that they aren't being as healthy and want you to eat like they are so that they don't feel so bad. I still get people who get a little upset if I don't want office birthday cake because they figure that now I've lost the weight, it will just magically stay off.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It makes me rage when they do that.

My bf is using this as well but somehow eats Nandos and Macds in one day and guzzles cans of coke then when Im making tea tells me he has tons of calories left so to make seomthing big.., I think he is cheating himself with counting and it has caused rows when I insist I am making a low calorie small tea and if he wants to eat more later thats up to him I wont tempt myself.

People tell me to 'just eat a pizza then go for a walk'

Id have to power walk all day to burn off the damage that did?! Seems insane idea.

I have started to lie and I am only a week in.

I tell people I have eaten all my cals for the day so they stop asking, then if I have some left eat something small on my own later
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I say ignore them. You cannot change people put you can change the situation and you can always change yourself. People are who they are. I know it hurts but ignore them. Keep eating healthy they will eventually get it when you say no enough times. Seek out friends that have the same interests as you and that way it will be more easier and/or find a buddy. I wish you all the best. But keep focused and stay on track.
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I had to set boundaries with my husband recently because i was eating a lot of the same crap he was eating in particular mcdonald's. I just said i am giving up fast food and if you want to eat it that is fine but please don't bring it home. So now if he wants it he eats it on his own. My hope is that as i keep losing weight eventually he'll want to eat healthier too. Best wishes on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend. Support on here really helps me.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My cousin just died about 2 months ago. He was 40, healthy-looking (not overweight), active. Died of a heart attack on a construction job. He ate badly, but kept the weight off. It'll still kill you.

I'm watching my fat, cholesterol, and sodium on MFP.. the heart related stuff. Burgers just aren't worth it... they don't taste good enough and they make it nearly impossible to stay in your calories for the day. I know it's hard. Try finding something else on the menu.. like if you're going to McDonalds the yogurt parfait isn't so bad. Isn't really filling either but it's something you can eat out that isn't so bad. Their grilled chicken classic is lower then their other burgers.. but it's still pretty high.
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    thanks guys really appreciate it, i held strong! x