Work out or not when you feel a cold coming on?

Options
Hello all,
I have been enjoying the site for almost 4 weeks and have lost 5 pounds! My question today is about working out if you feel like you're getting sick or are sick. I really don't want to miss a work out and sit on the couch if all I really need to do is sweat it out. Since my over all weight loss goal is pretty small I'm really afraid of stalling progress...I also don't want to make the cold worse. What do you do?

Replies

• sarahmartin2013
    Options
    Take Vitamin D when you feel a cold coming on!!!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    It's only anecdotal (sic?) evidence, but when I've tried to "power through" my colds by continuing to workout, that last MUCH longer. Two or three days off shouldn't stall your weight loss progress.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for runners is neck up, still run. If it's below the neck, don't run. I think that same rule of thumb could apply to all workouts? I ran through a virus a month ago and was just fine. I just made sure to get extra sleep.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    A week after I started my workout I got a bad cold/cough. I battled through it for about 10 days...I wasn't going to let it slow me down..
  • ZericaL
    ZericaL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's good advice. Thank you!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that cold is a product of over training & the kidneys are over burdened. Take a break & let the kidneys either catch up or tend to the cold.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that cold is a product of over training & the kidneys are over burdened. Take a break & let the kidneys either catch up or tend to the cold.

WTF? Where did you come up with that one?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

WTF? Where did you come up with that one?

Maybe you should embrace knowledge before condescension.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In the past I've not worked out when I feel one starting. This time around I've tried working through it if it's mild and you know what...it's actually halted the cold (or allergies...don't know which it is for me). I think me giving into the runny/stuffy nose and scratchy throat lets it fester and when I just get out there and walk or run it seems to stop it in its tracks. Now...keep in mind I've only been at this three weeks and it's quite possible I just got lucky this time LOL.

My plan though is that I'll continue to try to keep up my workouts but if it gets to my chest, I get a fever, or it gets worse then I'll give myself a rest. I'm just trying to avoid that "oh I'm sick..I can't work out" excuse that always leads to me eating lots of junk and then giving up!