Unsure

Options
Hello,

I got married in September 2012 to my high school sweetheart!! Tried to lose 4 months prior, but no success. All of October and part of November I was sick with a cold that would not go away; it eventually did. In December 2012 I graduated from College; I also noticed knee pain, and tried to get treatment, but nothing seemed to help or what was causing it. In January 2013 my husband and I went on our 2 week honeymoon to the Caribbean/ Puerto Rico, it was wonderful!!

Still having knee pain I saw the Dr. today. He told me it was because of my weight and needed to lose. It has been a struggle for the past 10 years. I have p90x, insanity, rockin body, wii fit, weight watchers, motivation quotes, healthy food support from family and friends. The worst thing I have in my house is peanut butter, and I have the hungry girl books. I know I am not happy with my weight and my body is suffering from it. I don't know what the block is of not being motivated enough to make a change. One of my best friends is getting married in 2016 and I am her matron of honor and my husband his her fiance's best man. This could be motivation, though I wasn't even dedicated for my own wedding. It's upsetting!! I just need hope or something?

Replies

• StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the marriage!! That is awesome you married your HS sweetheart. And they say romance is dead :P

Second...when it comes to motivation...it is hard to tell someone else why they need to lose weight. That really is something you need to find for yourself.

Why not compile a list, Pro/Con, to weight loss. See what advantages you'll gain, and what you will lose (other than weight). Find out what is holding you back...is it being lazy/lethargic? Could that be a result of the extra weight? People always say they feel more energetic and happy when working out and eating healthier...Are you afraid of giving up the foods you love? Simple, DON'T! Just don't eat an entire large double pepperoni w/ extra cheese (mmmmm, my favorite) by yourself in a single sitting, eat 1 slice, maybe 2, w/ a nice big salad. Don't stop living, just live a bit smarter.

As for p90x and Insanity...I would steer clear of those for now, especially w/ your knee!

Just my opinion of course. I could be totally off base, I am new here lol
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like the pros and cons idea. The good about being healthy. The bad about being fat and unfit. You will see where you want to be by that alone. Every few months I remake that list and there is always something new that I add. Also, I am a firm believer in planning. Plan out meals and exercise times and types for each day, for a week, a whole month even! Intent is half the battle! If you never plan for the right thing, you are not likely to do the right thing. And set short tern and long term goals. Measurable goals that you right down and record, journal or jot beside every day. Buy a cheap notebook or a fancy bound one. Whatever appeals to you. Carry it in your purse. Place it by your bed or your reading chair. Be honest. Write things down. Plan for things. Each month, I write out a weight goal plan. Each week I write out an exercise/training plan. Do I mess up? You bet. Do I ignore the plan sometimes? Yes. But in the end, if I can get it right MORE than I get it wrong, I am going to end up on the good side of things!! Kind of like parenting! Hahaha! You can do it. Have a little faith in yourself, Motivate yourself, Be Accountable and Plan for it. And congrats on all your successes in life so far. You have had a major year!!!
  • AshleeEP4
    AshleeEP4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

It is good being on myfitnesspal for inspiration to see what everyone else eats, exercises, etc. But I realize now that when I lose sight of my goal, it gets pretty discouraging. When this happens I am going to start self motivating tactics like you both suggest with planning out exercise and food ideas in to get me back on track. My friend used this site and lost 90+lbs while exercising too. That's why I started 4months ago. I also added a girl on here at that time and she has now lost over 50lbs, I still have yet to lose. If I would have stuck to adding in what I eat everyday and truly exercise every day like this girl, I am sure I would be where she is now. I try and remember today is my day in reaching my goal, and it is ok to have cheat days here and there just in moderation. Good luck with both of your goals, We can do this!!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this sometime back, and I found it to be very helpful and true:

"If you focus on the results you'll never see the change; if you focus on the change, you'll see the results."