Exercise Calories

Options
So I have been exercising quite a bit and get between 600 and 1200 calories from exercise a day. My problem is that I know I should be eating all these calories and I have no problems eating the lower amount but to eat the higher end is REALLY hard for me. I eat almonds, drink milk, etc etc. I have not cheated and I have now gained over 3lbs in one day. I am chalking it up to water but could it be because I am not eating ALL of the extra calories??

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I'm SUPPOSED to eat my exercise calories but sometimes DANG!!! So I've taken to eating when I feel hungry. I plan all of my meals for the day and 2 snacks within my 1200 calories. Then I use my exercise calories if I get hungry after dinner and have a healthy snack then.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many exercise calories you're leaving because I always end up with extra also and haven't lost in a couple weeks. I try not to leave more than about 150 but am getting better at eating most of them. I'm going to try to cut it close today.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    It could be water, but it could also be that you are not eating your calories and your body may have gone into starvation mode and is saving up....just a thought.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I've heard some people on here say basically as long as your net calories is over 1400 a day ( for young women) it should be okay if you don't eat all of your calories. The important thing is to never let your net cals fall below 1200, and listen to your body, it knows what you really need =)
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have eaten breakfast and lunch today

Breakfast
    Vitamuffin Vitatops - Cran Bran

Lunch
    Western Family - Baby Dill Pickles With Garlic
    Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 1% milkfat, 0.5 cup
    Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Wraps - Whole Wheat Wrap
    the Laughing Cow - Cheese Triangles Light, 1 triangle
    Turkey - Sliced Deli Meat, 1.7 oz.

Still have to eat dinner but by the time I am done with Latin Aerobics I have 1882 calories left to eat and I really dont want to eat bad (like a bag of chips or something like that) :(
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Do you eat snacks? I eat all day---> BF/snack/LUNCH/snack/DINNER/snack I think you need to eat more often and try starting your day with a higher protein breakfast. Egg whites scrambled with spinach and mushrooms, oatmeal mixed with peanut or almond butter, peanut butter toast, etc. Or, if you are in a hurry, start with a protein shake.
  • mommyhof3
    Options
    Do you eat snacks? I eat all day---> BF/snack/LUNCH/snack/DINNER/snack I think you need to eat more often and try starting your day with a higher protein breakfast. Egg whites scrambled with spinach and mushrooms, oatmeal mixed with peanut or almond butter, peanut butter toast, etc. Or, if you are in a hurry, start with a protein shake.

I AM NOT a breakfast eater. I start to feel sick if I eat too big of a breakfast. Always have been that way. My mom used to send me to school with a snack to eat right before going into the school or I just threw my breakfast up. I do snack. But I also eat when I feel hungry. Maybe I will just go all out tonight and order pizza to see if it makes a difference.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Make homemade pizza on whole wheat pizza dough with low fat mozzarella cheese, chicken and lots of veggies. It's healthier and better, IMO.

You can at least start your day with a glass of milk. Then eat small meals every 2-3 hours. That's how you speed up your metabolism. You want your body to know it's not going to go hungry and that you will feed it often.
  • mommyhof3
    Options
    I would like to add, before people get on me for breakfast, that I do eat breakfast it is just usually smaller. Today I had a vitatop muffin. Yesterday was egg beaters with salsa and a piece of rye toast
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't overestimating your calories burned on your workout? My husband runs marathons and burns close to that when running the full distance, not his training runs. That's an awful lot of calories for one workout.
    One thing to possibly try. Eat 1600 calories every day for a more consistent basis and don't worry about eating back calories, no matter what your exercise is like that day. Gives your body consistency, but you are switching it up to keep the weight loss going with your workouts. Good luck. Hope this helps.
  • noushbox
    noushbox Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't like breakfast either, but let me suggest something light that works for me:

Oatmeal-
    1/2 cup, plain with no sugar added. Sometimes a little cinnamon, but that's it. When I have this in the morning, I don't feel hungry until at least noon.

Greek yogurt-
    with a granola and/or blueberries. add honey if you need more sweetness (I usually don't).

Hope that helps! These are really easy foods to eat in the morning when you don't feel like eating.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I would look at your sodium intake. It adds up really fast and it makes you retain water unless you drink a lot of water to flush it out of your system. On my high sodium days I can see 1 to 3 pounds the next morning. If I lower it or really drink water to help offset it I do better. (deli turkey, cheeses and dill pickles are all sodium foods)
  • mommyhof3
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't overestimating your calories burned on your workout? My husband runs marathons and burns close to that when running the full distance, not his training runs. That's an awful lot of calories for one workout.
    One thing to possibly try. Eat 1600 calories every day for a more consistent basis and don't worry about eating back calories, no matter what your exercise is like that day. Gives your body consistency, but you are switching it up to keep the weight loss going with your workouts. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Not one workout. I do more than one through the day. Usually 45 min on elliptical then walks with the kids, Latin dance aerobics etc etc. I use the calories burned calculator on here. I really workout so I am sure I do not overestimate. I have also not had this problem before. Looking back to the weekend I noticed I had more sodium than needed. I am sure this will fix itself in the next few days unless TOM is coming lol
  • raspberrymerlot
    Options
    From looking at what you've posted, I see you are light on protein. I have 3 servings a day - it is higher calorie, it helps keep you full longer, and it helps you build muscle. Could also be sodium, as pickles & cottage cheese have high and moderate amounts. Just a thought... Make sure you eat enough. That's one thing I found.... not eating enough makes your body want to hang on to what its got.
  • GreenieBean
    Options
    I think you should eat a bigger breakfast. It really is the most important meal of the day. More protein, carbs, and fiber. My breakfasts usually end up being 300 to 400 calories. I eat a lighter lunch and low cal snacks.
  • mommyhof3
    Options
    I think you should eat a bigger breakfast. It really is the most important meal of the day. More protein, carbs, and fiber. My breakfasts usually end up being 300 to 400 calories. I eat a lighter lunch and low cal snacks.

I CAN'T eat a bigger breakfast. I explained it above. I never have been able too even when I was little. I would just throw it up. Not a good thing. I really don't want to lose weight that way. And by the end of the day I have eaten all my protein. I am sure it's the sodium though or TOM coming soon. It will fix itself, I will just keep doing what I am doing and watch my sodium. My question was about eating all the exercise calories even if it's a huge amount.
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater either so I usually eat a Luna bar for breakfast and in my food log I have changed the settings to 7:30/8am; 10am, 12pm, 2pm & 5:30/6pm. I burn throughout a day about 500-800 calories doing various forms of exercise and then I just make sure I eat 1600/1800calories a day. I don't worry too much about eating back my workout calories. It's working so far - I've been averaging 1-2 pounds a week which is a healthy recommendation. I wish you all the best and good luck to you!!!
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Just a quick word of advice- don't go by the calorie calculator on here. It's a fair estimate, but since people of all different shapes, sizes, and athletic levels type in what they burn, you really could be way overestimating and sabotaging yourself. I did it. And the machines at the gym usually tell me i burn 20% more calories than I actually do. I can't even make a guess at it, my hrm was my life saver.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Just a quick word of advice- don't go by the calorie calculator on here. It's a fair estimate, but since people of all different shapes, sizes, and athletic levels type in what they burn, you really could be way overestimating and sabotaging yourself. I did it. And the machines at the gym usually tell me i burn 20% more calories than I actually do. I can't even make a guess at it, my hrm was my life saver.

I agree! When I first started MFP a year and a half ago, I logged all my exercise going by what was in the database here. I was SHOCKED to learn that the numbers in the database are way off on what is actually burned for me. I started using a heart rate montitor which is calibrated with my own personal settings and saw that my actual calorie burn was way lower than what MFP was giving me in the database.

I normally have anywhere from 200-350 calories left uneaten by the end of the day, but try to keep it more to the lower end of 200 calories or less. Your body will actually think you are "starving" it and start hanging on to everything to "save up". Its very likely to put your body into starvation mode, which as we all know will set you back no matter how hard you work out!

Good luck to you! Trial and error is the way we learn:flowerforyou:
  • mommyhof3
    Options
    It was the sodium! I watched my sodium intake and have lost all the gained weight plus some. I cannot believe the sodium in some foods. It is amazing.

I want to thank the people who helped me through this. As I looked at some of the foods people mentioned I learned this:

1 cup 1% cottage cheese has over 900 sodium
    4 baby dill pickles has over 850 sodium
    1/2 cup vegitable soup is high in sodium
    popcorn seasonings (certain ones) are extremely high in sodium

This list can go on forever. People need to watch this. I never even thought of sodium until I gained

Thank you again