I really like this article.

Options

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate jimmies.

And thank you for the article refresher.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Adaptive thermogenesis, I think, is more common than you might believe. I know for a fact that this woman didn't get her intake wrong: http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

Also, I AM a special snowflake; but I obey the laws of physics.

I think AT happens, it's just to a varying degree.
    How do you know for a fact that her intake measurement was accurate if you don't mind me asking.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Great reminder! I've had this bookmarked and read a few times, but it's good info to reread.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • jc46
    jc46 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Great article.

I am genuinely curious though - I see so many threads on this website about people who have stalled completely, usually are netting 1200-1400 calories a day and working out a lot. I get that they might not be recording their food intake correctly or are overestimating exercise calories but assuming that at least a few of them are at LEAST recording their food accurately, I cannot understand how weight loss can stall for months.

The above has not happened to me personally since joining MFP, this is just a curiosity thing.

I was curious about this myself. There is another article that this one links to about Metabolic Rate. It provides more information but really doesn't discuss it in detail.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I've spent hours on this site... may need to invest in one of his books.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding AT I think Steve Troutman does an excellent job explaining it here. He also talks of plateaus
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like this and read the whole article. I agree.
    But I want to add that if you seriously are logging accurately for about a month and think you're "different," it should be doctor time for you. In my case I gave up because there wasn't any change. It turned out to be a medical issue that wasn't noticed for 4 more years.

It can never hurt to bring your food diary into your doctor's and ask them to check you out or tell you side effects of any meds you might be taking.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day.
  • Justact1
    Justact1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also read this article and agree for the most part. I also, however agree that if you are logging everything correctly and not seeing the progression as you think you should or, in my case, no progression at all, it is time to visit a doctor. I have been actively logging everything that passes my lips (via scale and measuring cups, as well as liquids, mostly water, but the occasional coffee drink as well, which can/will pack on the calories if you let them),for close to a year, however, was seeing very little progression. I was between 1200-1500 calories a day and was doing weights, zumba, kickboxing as well as running and not losing. Well, went to my regular doctor (who told me eat less, exercise more), which could not be done without spending 8 hours a day in the gym, and then eventually found a chiropractor who also dealt with nutrition and weight. Anyway, after a round of blood work and 2 weeks, I was down 17 pounds. Turns out I had a hormonal imbalance which was causing me to hang on to the weight. Once we got that figured out, it was all down hill.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Too many people think they are special snowflakes.

It is true everyone's metabolism varies based on MANY factors... but that is mostly minor. Some people may have hormonal problems due to the way they've been eating (or not been eating) which will make things quite difficult.

Everyone should read this.

And of course, there are the cases where someone has something medically wrong, which is the exception, not the rule.
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Is there anything to the idea that stress, such as over-training combined with a calorie deficit, can halt fat loss, as in this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

We do see a lot of people who are exercising a lot, or at least what seems like a lot to a lightweight like me, and who are eating 1200 calories/not eating back their exercise calories. I always wonder if the stress on the body could be the problem.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    How do you know for a fact that her intake measurement was accurate if you don't mind me asking.

I know her personally. She can eyeball the difference between 18 and 20 grams of ice cream. She's a former biology professor and laboratory research assistant.

Edited to clarify: It's a combination of personality type, intellect, and a distinct powerful set of life-long concerns regarding this issue in particular.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I know her personally. She can eyeball the difference between 18 and 20 grams of ice cream. She's a former biology professor and laboratory research assistant.

and you were doing so well until you said 'eyeball' :drinker: :laugh:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    and you were doing so well until you said 'eyeball' :drinker: :laugh:

Yes, yes, how can one see mass. You know what I mean! :grumble: :laugh:
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read later.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure. 600 years ago, there would have been a blog stating all the arguments for why the earth really is flat.

I really am special.