Two blue dresses display my progress [pics + details]

Options
FNBnIqn.png

Height: 5'11"

I think I've hit a bit of a plateau, so I'm hoping that looking at my progress so far will keep me motivated. Truth be told, although the scale, measuring tape, and pictures show a difference... I don't feel different at all. Perhaps I will once I get below 200 pounds.
I'm not entirely certain what it is that finally galvinized me to change. I've always been "big," both horizontally and vertically. I'm the black sheep of my extended family, in that regard (well, horizontally. A lot of my relatives are tall). But I have never identified myself by my body; always with my brain, actions, and bank account. So while I haven't been happy with my body, it hasn't particularly been a source of anguish. I have successfully lost weight in the past; I got down to a healthy BMI for a while in high school, but the weight crept back on through the years.

I've heard that lifestyle changes are easier to make when they happen in conjunction with other large life changes. So when I moved and switched jobs, it seemed like the logical turning point for my corporeal self. Add on my frustration with clothes shopping (so difficult when you are big and tall and small boobed), and a comment from my boyfriend (that he loved me, but if I continued to be so overweight he wasn't sure how physically attracted he would be to me years from now), and possibly other forgotten factors, and the result is where I am now.

Here's the lifestyle changes I've made:

August, 2012
Got a job in the city, rather than the suburbs. Started walking ~1.5 miles a day for public transportation. Started eating ungodly amounts of unhealthy snacks, provided free at work.

September
Got a bike mid-September. Immediately became a full-time bike commuter. 10 miles round trip, flat ground.

October
Stopped eating the free unhealthy snacks at work, cold turkey. That was 400+ calories a day. Started being more organized about bringing healthier lunches.

November
Woke up at 5:30am three days a week for a 5 week kettlebell class that I got off of groupon. Loved it, but the full fee is out of my price range, and I was only able to motivate myself to wake up so early because I knew it was temporary.

December
Joined a gym near work. Did unorganized, self directed exercise. Also took a couple of "cardio sculpt" classes. Went on vacation.

January
Started the program laid out in "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

My current exercise schedule (beyond the 55+ miles a week I get from riding my bike everywhere) is:

Monday: Lift.
Tuesday: Cardio kickboxing.
Wednesday: Rest.
Thursday: Lift during lunch. Yoga after work.
Friday: Rest.
Saturday: Lift.
Sunday: Rest.

Like I said, I feel like I've hit a bit of a plateau; my weight has hovered in the 220's since Christmas. Part of it is that I feel out of shape because I've been biking slowly recently. I'm hoping it is the "sub zero after windchill" weather that is responsible.

My workout schedule is pretty intense right now, and I'm a bit afraid of burn out. But it hasn't happened yet. Other things are slipping a bit; my room is much more of a disaster than usual, and there's a Microsoft certification that I really need to get around to studying for (I want to get a bonus at work), but I'm often tired in the evening and the last thing on my mind is cracking open a text book.

But anyway. Figured I'd share.

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress, keep up the good work.
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, such a change! Just think of how you would be feeling if you weren't active.
  • savagecorey2
    savagecorey2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Your chin and neck! Well, all of you, really. But I'm so excited by the changes in your chin and neck. Way to go.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people on MFP who can give you better advice than I can about plateaus. So, I'll just say, you've made great progress! You look great. If you don't get discouraged, you will break through. CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your chin and neck! Well, all of you, really. But I'm so excited by the changes in your chin and neck. Way to go.

Haha, yeah, I'm pretty happy about the reduced double chin thing.

Here's a few more pictures of where my chin and neck are coming from:

Q0Xwa.jpg
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    Great work! And blue is definitely your color!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is just awesome! You've motivated me for sure!
  • Calantorntain
    Options
    Great work! And blue is definitely your color!

Until this weekend I had always thought it was maroon. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANY MORE.
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    FNBnIqn.png

Height: 5'11"

I think I've hit a bit of a plateau, so I'm hoping that looking at my progress so far will keep me motivated. Truth be told, although the scale, measuring tape, and pictures show a difference... I don't feel different at all. Perhaps I will once I get below 200 pounds.
    I'm not entirely certain what it is that finally galvinized me to change. I've always been "big," both horizontally and vertically. I'm the black sheep of my extended family, in that regard (well, horizontally. A lot of my relatives are tall). But I have never identified myself by my body; always with my brain, actions, and bank account. So while I haven't been happy with my body, it hasn't particularly been a source of anguish. I have successfully lost weight in the past; I got down to a healthy BMI for a while in high school, but the weight crept back on through the years.

I've heard that lifestyle changes are easier to make when they happen in conjunction with other large life changes. So when I moved and switched jobs, it seemed like the logical turning point for my corporeal self. Add on my frustration with clothes shopping (so difficult when you are big and tall and small boobed), and a comment from my boyfriend (that he loved me, but if I continued to be so overweight he wasn't sure how physically attracted he would be to me years from now), and possibly other forgotten factors, and the result is where I am now.

Here's the lifestyle changes I've made:

August, 2012
    Got a job in the city, rather than the suburbs. Started walking ~1.5 miles a day for public transportation. Started eating ungodly amounts of unhealthy snacks, provided free at work.

September
    Got a bike mid-September. Immediately became a full-time bike commuter. 10 miles round trip, flat ground.

October
    Stopped eating the free unhealthy snacks at work, cold turkey. That was 400+ calories a day. Started being more organized about bringing healthier lunches.

November
    Woke up at 5:30am three days a week for a 5 week kettlebell class that I got off of groupon. Loved it, but the full fee is out of my price range, and I was only able to motivate myself to wake up so early because I knew it was temporary.

December
    Joined a gym near work. Did unorganized, self directed exercise. Also took a couple of "cardio sculpt" classes. Went on vacation.

January
    Started the program laid out in "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

My current exercise schedule (beyond the 55+ miles a week I get from riding my bike everywhere) is:

Monday: Lift.
    Tuesday: Cardio kickboxing.
    Wednesday: Rest.
    Thursday: Lift during lunch. Yoga after work.
    Friday: Rest.
    Saturday: Lift.
    Sunday: Rest.

Like I said, I feel like I've hit a bit of a plateau; my weight has hovered in the 220's since Christmas. Part of it is that I feel out of shape because I've been biking slowly recently. I'm hoping it is the "sub zero after windchill" weather that is responsible.

My workout schedule is pretty intense right now, and I'm a bit afraid of burn out. But it hasn't happened yet. Other things are slipping a bit; my room is much more of a disaster than usual, and there's a Microsoft certification that I really need to get around to studying for (I want to get a bonus at work), but I'm often tired in the evening and the last thing on my mind is cracking open a text book.

But anyway. Figured I'd share.

You've done so well, don't stop!!! It probably is the cold. Maybe even a little seasonal depression, fight past it....you are doing great!! We're with you all the way.
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation!!!! WOW!! You look great :)
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You look great in that dress, just keep focusing on one day at a time. And get your room organized it will make everything so much easier, one day at a time Keep Pushing.

Soon we will celebrate your blue bikini!
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you work out intensely your body wants a rest (not just one day) and then it bounces off the plateau.
  • AutismMom
    AutismMom Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Looking great!!! Keep it up!!!!
  • Calantorntain
    Options
    Sometimes when you work out intensely your body wants a rest (not just one day) and then it bounces off the plateau.

Hopefully! Luckily February is coming up, and I'm going to have a three day break then :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So just to drive us all nuts again who are obsessing whether 1200 calories are enough...how much were you consuming during your weight loss AND did you "eat back" your earned exercise cals?
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I'm 5'11" as we'll so this totally gives me hope!
  • scot1026
    Options
    Trust me, you look totally different. Almost like 2 different people in the before & after photos. You're doing great, be patient and stick with it, the pounds will start falling off again before you know it.
  • Calantorntain
    Options
    So just to drive us all nuts again who are obsessing whether 1200 calories are enough...how much were you consuming during your weight loss AND did you "eat back" your earned exercise cals?

I aim for around 1500 calories. Some days it is less, some days it is more. 1500 is on the lower end of what I should eat daily, and that's because I know it will be evened out once a week or so by late night guacamole binges with my roommate, or brunch out with friends.

I don't "eat back" my exercise calories because I think MFP grossly overestimates how many calories are burned during physical activity (at least for tall, overweight people). On days where I do lots of physical activity I will often eat a bit more, but nowhere near the number that MFP calculated for me.
  • skinnygrlerica
    skinnygrlerica Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how supportive your boyfriend was during this part of your journey...and how he's responding to the newer you!

You look amazing, by the way. Its awesome what a difference 35 lbs lost makes! You're really pretty and look a whole lot more confident in your more current picture =)

I'm not quite as tall as you are (I'm 5'7") but your progress pictures have totally motivated me beyond words!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!