Protein?

Options

Replies

• jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1g per pound of bodyweight if you're trying to gain muscle, and want to dot your i's and cross your t's. it's probably you don't need this much.

eating protein is not about the abundance of aminos needed to repair tissue...that's probably well taken care of within 0.3g/lb.

we eat protein in abundance upwards of 1g/bodyweight to assure positive nitrogen balance and continued anabolic states. protein synthesis is in large part driven by the presence of animos in our bloodstream. go too long and we will be in a negative protein balance, and therefore not synthesizing protein.

that being said, if you are not a bodybuilder or a professional strength athlete, how much protein you get to supply your daily functions is almost irrelevant. But I would agree that the RDI is way too low and what you'd read on bodybuilding sites like 2g/lb is way way too high.

correction: 1g per pound of Lean Body Mass
  • mefit2013
    mefit2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Adding nuts, beans, soy and quinoa should help. Quinoa is a complete protein. Good luck with your journey!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    1g per pound of bodyweight if you're trying to gain muscle, and want to dot your i's and cross your t's. it's probably you don't need this much.

eating protein is not about the abundance of aminos needed to repair tissue...that's probably well taken care of within 0.3g/lb.

we eat protein in abundance upwards of 1g/bodyweight to assure positive nitrogen balance and continued anabolic states. protein synthesis is in large part driven by the presence of animos in our bloodstream. go too long and we will be in a negative protein balance, and therefore not synthesizing protein.

that being said, if you are not a bodybuilder or a professional strength athlete, how much protein you get to supply your daily functions is almost irrelevant. But I would agree that the RDI is way too low and what you'd read on bodybuilding sites like 2g/lb is way way too high.

nah, that's way too much.
  • jehavin
    Options
    I'd rather have too much (for me, that's only around 100g) than too little. From what I've read and what I've lived, this amount is perfect (I actually prefer about 115 on my train days,) for building and maintaining muscle as well as guiding my appetite toward healthy, satisfying choices. It is different for everyone, based on activity level, activity type, and plain old personal preference/body type. However, I think it is clear that the FDA is misleading people with the RDI for carbs/protein/fat split.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    whey.....duh

the OP said she was vegetarian. whey is derived from cows milk
  • jehavin
    Options
    she didn't say that she was vegan
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    whey.....duh

I don't see how cows milk is meat. Vegetarian* not Vegan.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I'd rather have too much (for me, that's only around 100g) than too little. From what I've read and what I've lived, this amount is perfect (I actually prefer about 115 on my train days,) for building and maintaining muscle as well as guiding my appetite toward healthy, satisfying choices. It is different for everyone, based on activity level, activity type, and plain old personal preference/body type. However, I think it is clear that the FDA is misleading people with the RDI for carbs/protein/fat split.

The FDA mislead people!? WHAT?

:P

I hate the FDA. lol
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options

You're right, LBM. like i said. it's to dot your i's and cross your t's. intake of protein is not only just for repairing tissue and such, like I said. It serves the other purposes of positive protein synthesis, and not to mention it has the highest TEF (thermic effect of food) of all three macros.

The recommendation is loaded with these implications. Although I agree that 1g/lb LBM is probably more than you need, even if you are a bodybuilder, there is no point in going under....as protein is beneficial in a plethora of other roles.

I'm not really arguing in the negative against this. Just food for thought!
  • jehavin
    Options
    lol. Okay, we're on the same team, then. I'll just have an extra serving of steak than you---and maybe the OP's portion if it's a train day for me.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    lol. Okay, we're on the same team, then. I'll just have an extra serving of steak than you---and maybe the OP's portion if it's a train day for me.

haha sounds good to me. :)
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and got almost 100g of protein today without really trying really hard....and coming in 300 cal below my daily goal.

So it is not too hard....it may be just a matter of changing up what you are eating
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I eat a mostly vegan diet myself, and I get anywhere from 100-140g protein a day. totally doable. :)
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    whey.....duh

I don't see how cows milk is meat. Vegetarian* not Vegan.

My bad. Even so, no need to be rude about it (the duh part)
  • jehavin
    Options
    I agree. However, I had an opposite situation---I was getting most of my protein from dairy and beans and, upon becoming pregnant with my 5th child, I started having an allergic reaction to dairy, causing me to cut it from my diet, (between 30-45g daily that I was getting from cottage cheese and greek yogurt,) and had to switch to mainly meat sources. My point is that the above posters are correct---protein comes in all forms, it just takes a little research, PRE-PLANNING, and, in my case, emotional acceptance that some things that are *great protein sources* just won't fit into your personal diet so you do the best you can with what you've got. But do try to hit that number (at least 75g) b/c you'll be amazed how much more FULL and lean you feel!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I agree. However, I had an opposite situation---I was getting most of my protein from dairy and beans and, upon becoming pregnant with my 5th child, I started having an allergic reaction to dairy, causing me to cut it from my diet, (between 30-45g daily that I was getting from cottage cheese and greek yogurt,) and had to switch to mainly meat sources. My point is that the above posters are correct---protein comes in all forms, it just takes a little research, PRE-PLANNING, and, in my case, emotional acceptance that some things that are *great protein sources* just won't fit into your personal diet so you do the best you can with what you've got. But do try to hit that number (at least 75g) b/c you'll be amazed how much more FULL and lean you feel!

aww you're not missing much with dairy. I've been dairy free for over a year - best decision ever. :)
  • jehavin
    Options
    Yes--it has been for me, too. I didn't realize how much extra fat and carbs I was getting without the big protein numbers like other sources. Plus, I guess I've been lactose intolerant my whole life, it's just this kiddo, (a boy unlike my 4 previous girls,) sent me a clear signal that he's not going to put up with it. Strange, but a good thing for my diet overall. It was hard for me to accept at first, though, and I had to figure out to put guac on my sandwiches instead of cheese, ranch dressing (ugh!) instead of sour cream (until I found tofutti) and I do miss cottage cheese a lot! The OP will just have to get creative!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

nah, that's way too much.

That depends entirely on context.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

ww you're not missing much with dairy. I've been dairy free for over a year - best decision ever. :)

I think it is very possible to get adequate or superior levels of protein from ovo-lacto vegetarian diets and even good levels of protein from vegan diets (but it does take a bit of planning). What would concern me a bit more on vegan diets is that there are some nutrients from animal sources that one would not be getting in a strictly vegan diet without supplementation. Just one example would be a possible lack of iron. Most iron sources among vegetables also include quite a bit of phytic acid which can bind iron so that it is not well-absorbed. I have to say--just anecdotally--that all the vegans I ever observed seemed anemic to me (very pale and sometimes seemed lacking in energy).
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly vegan diet myself, and I get anywhere from 100-140g protein a day. totally doable. :)

The quality of animos should be taken into consideration with vegetarian diets. Assuming whey protein is allowed and dairy, you'll be alright. But please. none of this nonsense about the amino acids in apples being of complete profile...i'm all for vegetarianism, until the vegetarian bodybuilder tries to convince me that their quality of protein is the same I get from meats. From there it's basically a comparison of our body aesthetics. Assuming we both work equally hard in the gym.