Calorie Question

Options
I'm wanting to lose 2lbs a week mfp has me on a 1220 calorie goal for the day and 480 calorie burn a day but I'm burning wayyy more then 480. I'm using a HRM and my calorie burn is usually double that. So how many calories a day should I actually be eatting? I'm 30 yrs old, 5'1" and currently weigh 218. I do 2 workouts a day my last weeks total calorie burn was 5,522. And on average I'm eatting closer to 1800 calories a day.

Replies

• GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1800 sounds about right. i calculated your base metabolic rate (how many calories you would burn if you never got out of bed) and its 1749. using the harris benedict equation with an estimate of exercising 3-5 times a week, that would be 1749*1.55=2711. to lose 2 lbs a week, subtract 1000 from that, so 1711. there are lots of different ways to calcuate this-i use the calculators on bmi-calculator.net

hope this helps!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    check out "scoobys calculator" - I got the same numbers as I did for the roadmap that someone else posted... It has me eating over 2000/day (I don't eat back exercise cals because it's built into the cals)...
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but from what I understand, your calorie burn is not factored into your daily calorie goal by MFP. You should be adding your calorie burn to your diary and eating some or all of those calories back. The 1220 goal already has a deficit built in based on the data you entered, so follow what MFP says is your Net Calorie goal. I work out 4 times a week for 1 hour and my HRM keeps pestering me to slow down. I'm 5'5" and my daily goal before exercise is 1620. I try to eat all of my exercise calories back and I'm still losing about 1 lb per week even though I'm only eating slightly below maintenance. I'm sure you will get a lot of feedback from this thread so test some of the suggestions for two or three weeks before changing it up and see what works best for you.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    1800 sounds about right. i calculated your base metabolic rate (how many calories you would burn if you never got out of bed) and its 1749. using the harris benedict equation with an estimate of exercising 3-5 times a week, that would be 1749*1.55=2711. to lose 2 lbs a week, subtract 1000 from that, so 1711. there are lots of different ways to calcuate this-i use the calculators on bmi-calculator.net

hope this helps!

But then she would be eating below her bmr which is not good...

Maybe instead of trying to loose 2 lbs per week, aim for 1 lb a week then readjust your calculations after ten or 15 lbs.... Maybe try 2200 cals and work down from there? Eat more to loose more ;)
  • lkdad_nagy
    lkdad_nagy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.