heart rate zone

Options
Can anyone tell me is it a good idea to stay within your heart rate zone? I heard/read somewhere that if you are above it you actually burn less calories? Anyone with some knowledge about this?? thx...

Replies

• GettingHealthy2013
    Options
    Hi there. My last year of high school I took a health class. You shouldn't go much over your target heart rate, because it can lead to serious health problems.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals and what you are accomplishing. If you are wanting to shed fat, then a good rule of thumb is to stay in your fat burn zone. If you are trying to improve your overall health, then cardio zones make more sense. Ideally a combo of both. So on days you are doing heavy cardio I try to warm up first in the fat burn zone (lower heart rates) and then do 80% of the time in the cardio zone, and then wind down with 10% in the fat burn. So a 10/80/10 on hard cardio days. On lift days, I do a small warm up in the cardio zone for 5 -10 mins most and then do my strength training at almost 100% fat burn zones. In between my circuits of weight lifting I will also jump roap for a couple of mins to get some cardio back in. So these days tend to be more of a 10% cardio/80% fat burn/ and 10% cardio with the ones I break up my circuits with.

Everyone diff. Determine your goals and then build your HRZ off of that. Thanks
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!!!!