is it even possible to lose weight and quit smoking?

Options
2»

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, I managed both at the same time. Just don't use food as a replacement for the cigs.

How bad do you want it?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Yes! The 26th of January will be two years (HOLLER) since I quit smoking. My trick was sunflower seeds with the shell. It occupies your hands and gives you something to much on.
  • JOYOUS62
    JOYOUS62 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do both at the same time now, I started my diet last week and am on day 3 of no smoking, so I hope it can be done. I stopped smoking before and that's when I put my weight on, not through eating more though, think it was more my metabolism slowing down.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    giving into temptation and having one cigarette does not mean you are a smoker again.

One cigarette for me and some other people would mean that I am a smoker again. As an addict once I have one then its so much easier to hit 10, 20, 40 again. Sad to say but its true. Been smoke free for 6 years. But I also gained 40 lbs in the process

well everyone is different, im sorry you are a smokeaholic.
  • Tylerbrook01
    Tylerbrook01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi my own experience I did both at the same time, I didn't lose weight but I did t gain either, I think it was around 6 weeks I just stayed the same weight and then I started to lose again, weight loss has been slower but it is coming off, I've done 5 months now, so it can be done, just don't get dis heartened if your not losing or even gain a little, the benefits of quitting are more than worth it!!
    I noticed within a few weeks I could exercise harder and longer...
    Plus I don't smell of *kitten* anymore
    I smoked for 15 years too,
    Good luck xx
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    The 2 times I have quit smoking I done it along with leading a healthier lifestyle all together and found it easier then just quiting alone (was quit for 2 years and picked it back up again like a moron) I quit smoking and started counting calories on January 1st and I'm down 15 pounds in less than a month! So yes it is definitely possible to lose weight while quitting smoking.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    Also there is no 'trick' to quitting. You just got to really want to do it. After the first week it's a breeze!