advice on weight training??

Options
Hi, I have recently started out with mfp and am looking to now start adding in some weight training. I have never done this before but i dont want to just loose weight, I also really want to tone up and get some definition to my body. I also really want to build up my strength as I am soooo weak, My wrists ache if i carry a heavy plate of food!! so my question is where to start and what works best?? Thanks for any advice x

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have recently started out with mfp and am looking to now start adding in some weight training. I have never done this before but i dont want to just loose weight, I also really want to tone up and get some definition to my body. I also really want to build up my strength as I am soooo weak, My wrists ache if i carry a heavy plate of food!! so my question is where to start and what works best?? Thanks for any advice x

Whatever you do - basically pick a workout - and change it up every 6 weeks to 2 months... Measure your body since you may be gaining muscle and losing fat. When you are working out, the scale is not the best tool to measure by.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    buy the book 'new rules of lifting for women'. its a great starting point!
  • mkim3138
    Options
    I have seen a lot of women say that (nrol)new rules of lifting for women is a good book that can help beginners
  • notthatthis
    Options
    If you have money then find a personal trainer who is an accredited Strength and Conditioning coach. They will teach you how to do the big compound lifts with what we call proper form. Proper form is crucial to get maximum power into a lift and importantly to avoid injury. The big compound lifts are, squat, deadlift, bent over barbell row, standing press, chest press. Once you have mastered these then your weight training journey starts and there is no end until you reach your genetic potential or you achieve the body you want.

Lots of things to look at on youtube. Lots of bodyweight exercises to look at.

Exercises that combine aerobic and anaerobic stimulation in order to decrease training time if you are time poor but want some weight training benefits.

Loads of books to read - search Mark Rippetoe or Charles Poliquin are just two regarded coaches.
  • charlenelockhart3
    Options
    Thank you very much x
  • notthatthis
    Options
    It actually seems that Northampton is a bit of a weight lifting, strong lifting, power lifting hot spot.

http://www.gymvisit.com/gyms/europe/united_kingdom/northamptonshire/Northampton/thefarm this place is well reviewed, I would phone and ask about novice starter sessions for groups or individuals
  • anetteswan
    Options
    Start with as heavy weights as you can take at least 4reps in a set. I take 5 sets at each station. Add extra weight when you can do more than 7-8reps.

More muscles burn more fat. So you don`t have to do cardio excercises to lose weight ;)
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Start with as heavy weights as you can take at least 4reps in a set. I take 5 sets at each station. Add extra weight when you can do more than 7-8reps.

More muscles burn more fat. So you don`t have to do cardio excercises to lose weight ;)

You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight. A calorie controlled diet will do that.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options

OOOh thats interesting. Im going for this one: but could you tell me exactly what they are haha

Squats
    Bench Presses (please explain this)
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses (please explain how to do these)
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (and these)
    Barbell Curls (i dont know what these are either)
    Calf Raises (rough idea but please clarify)

Dont mean to be dense, but please can sombody explain how to do these??

Alsi i am using 5kg dumbells, is this enough or should i use more?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

OOOh thats interesting. Im going for this one: but could you tell me exactly what they are haha

Squats
    Bench Presses (please explain this)
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses (please explain how to do these)
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (and these)
    Barbell Curls (i dont know what these are either)
    Calf Raises (rough idea but please clarify)

Dont mean to be dense, but please can sombody explain how to do these??

Alsi i am using 5kg dumbells, is this enough or should i use more?

The best thing you could do is read Starting Strength and also watch internet videos of people doing the lifts. Later you can video yourself and post for people to review your form, either here or on the bodybuilding.com forums (or elsewhere I'm sure)