Eating

Hey guys! please can you advise when it is suitable to eat before or after exercising? I plan to exercise in the evening weekdays and in the morning and evening during weekends.

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    This is mostly an issue of personal preference. Some people get queasy if they eat too much before exercising. Others can't exercise on an empty stomach. Some have something light beforehand and a real meal afterwards.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    You need something like yogurt, chocolate milk or a protein shake after a workout.
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    I eat something like an apple beforehand, because otherwise I don't have enough energy to get everything out of my work-out
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Trial, and error.

I've tried to follow the advice given by "experts" on meal timing for working out, and my workouts have suffered because of it. Most say to eat about an hour before your workout. You could try that to see if it works for you.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Hey guys! please can you advise when it is suitable to eat before or after exercising? I plan to exercise in the evening weekdays and in the morning and evening during weekends.
    Experiment and see what you personally are most comfortable with.

For me, I prefer not to eat before, though some days if I'm starving hungry when I get home from work & have a TKD class to go to, I will have a protein shake or something light. Otherwise, I'll eat after.
  • When I used to go to the gym I would go after I'd eaten my tea and wouldnt eat anything afterwards because I would feel sick. If I was you I'd eat something light like a fruit smoothie or a low fat yogurt
  • Thanks all for your advice! you guys are awesome!
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    I eat 1-2 hours before a workout. I eat either a banana, Greek yogurt or oatmeal before. After I workout I eat cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs or protein shake.
  • jflori
    jflori Posts: 25
    i like to exercise on an empty stomach. after a workout i'll eat anything! usually carbs or something with fat/protein (PB, fruit, bagel, cottage cheese)