Step Aerobics ??

Options
Does anyone here love step aerobics as much as I do? :)

It's kind of gone by the wayside with other cardio classes being offered, but it's a lot of fun and I love doing step. It's my main form of cardio exercise and I do at least 30 minutes every day.

Anyone else love stepping? Also, would love any step DVD's if anyone has any suggestions!

Replies

• Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do love step. I'm in an advanced step class at the gym once a week. The other two cardio days I do zumba.
  • galilanee26
    galilanee26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Step is a great burn and gets your legs in killer shape! I prefer kickboxing now but loved step, too. Our old gym offers classes in both and they are as packed as zumba. Great question about a DVD, I would be interested in a fun step video as well.

Congrats on finding an exercise you love, that's at least half of the battle!
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Loved. It.

WIsh I could keep going with it, however, my joints are protesting, so, sadly, it's a no-go anymore.

Loved The Firm BSS 1 and liked The Firm BSS 4 alot.

If you love it and can keep doing it, keep going!
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Love step!! but unfortunately with my schedule I only get to make it to 2 step classes per week so on other days I enjoy combat and weight lifting classes :)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I still have my old Denise Austin step and occasionally pull it out for fun. I've also done bench stepping on steeper household stairs for more of a challenge. I've can be fun to just put on an album and step to it for awhile. I learned most of my steps from a routine off the old exercise show (Homestretch) which unfortunately doesn't seem to be around on youtube. I'm bumping this thread because I'd enjoy finding some new bench step routines.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I miss step! I also miss the amazing calves it have me.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love step. I do Body Step at the gym and my new gym has a good Step class too which I'll stick with. At home I like Mindy Mylrea and the classic - Gin Miller.
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love my step dvd's, I have Cher A New Attitude and Keli Roberts Step it Strong, I want to get Gin Millers Power Step workout on dvd, step shapes legs and butt beautifully, I neglected it for a little while when I started doing lots of Jillian Michaels workouts but while she's great for so many things I wasn't getting such good results with leg toning.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I love step aerobics if the choreography is pretty basic and doesn't get too fancy.

I have some Cathe Friedrich workout DVDs with step aerobics portions, but I have to say, she gets too crazy with choreography for me. Kathy Smith makes some good ones; the old Reebok step workouts are great; and I use WorkoutsonDemand.com just for the step aerobic workouts.
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    I love step aerobics also!! I am REALLY dating myself, but I have a Jane Fonda step aerobic work out TAPE!!! My daughter and I still do it on the one and only VCR that I think is still around anywhere!! We love it.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I looove step!! Much more fun than zumba and for me I burn more. At times I will youtube some videos and do them at home. Tge only thing I dont like in dvds and videos is that most of the time the instructor is facing you. I prefer like in a class. Dvd mirror image can make some moves confusing.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love, Love LOVE step aerobics! I don't do it as much as I would like, as I am training for a half marathon right now. Once that's over, it's going to be like 3x a week for me! My gym does the Les Mills BodyStep (lots of higher/lower options) and can't wait to get back to it!
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad someone bumped this thread up! I thought I was the only step-a-holic! :)

Has anyone ever heard of The GymBox? It's a subscription service (kind of like Netflix and it's $10 a month) but it's just for exercise classes. (I'm not affiliated with them or anything like that - just love this service.)

They have new workouts every Monday, but the best part is, they new step routines each Monday. I'm addicted! There's a choice between 30 or 60 minute classes (beginner/intermediate and advanced.) If anyone's looking for some great step routines I highly recommend that service. (They also have other workouts too, kickboxing, yoga, cardio dance, etc. But i mainly use it just for the step workouts.)

I also have some Cathe Friedrich DVD's. I enjoy them, but I really dislike fancy dance-y type step moves and sometimes she has a lot of those. I prefer strict basic step moves.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to group step class :) So much fun, so much sweat!:)
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    Love freestyle step!!! Have been doing it for over 15 years. I do it at the gym. Used to do it 2 or 3 times a week. Now only once a week now because its not offered as often. And when it is, it doesn't fit into my schedule very well. Plus a lot of the freestyle classes have been replaced with Body Step which I hate.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Love freestyle step!!! Have been doing it for over 15 years. I do it at the gym. Used to do it 2 or 3 times a week. Now only once a week now because its not offered as often. And when it is, it doesn't fit into my schedule very well. Plus a lot of the freestyle classes have been replaced with Body Step which I hate.

What's body step?
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a gym that had an instructor that was awesome in step. She had such great routines you felt great when you are done. Now I mostly do the Zumba route for my cardio because it is fun.
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    Body Step is step class that is basically "pre-coreographed" by a company called Les Mills. Instructors are certified to teach this specific class then learn the choreography and teach it to their classes. Every few months Les Mills comes out with new choreography for the instructors to learn and teach their classes.

http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodystep/about-bodystep/

A lot of people like it. I just don't because I find its not as challenging at the freestyle step classes that I usually do.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Loved step and was really disappointed when my gym cancelled all the evening classes. they are only offered during the day now when I'm at work. :sad:
  • aerobicandrea
    Options
    If you're still looking for new step DVDs, you need to check out Cathe Freidrick. Go to cathe.com. She is amazing!

Step is awesome! I LOVE it! I actually teach a step class once a week at our YMCA. I don't have as many in my class, but I'm hoping more will come. It's a freestyle type class with combos, which I love. I've heard about Zumba step and I'm curious to know what real steppers think of it.