Things they never tell you about weight loss

Options

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone mentioned it, but the feeling of coldness is often connected to not getting enough calories and/or proper nutrients. That being said, my heat/cold tolerance in general is always out of whack, too. But I'm not sure if that's because I'm thin. I've been every size from 00 to 16, so who the hell knows at this point.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I don't crave the greasy food I use to love as much. I actually like to eat cleaner now. The difference in the way eating cleaner makes me feel is amazing. I would be sluggish when eating the junk food but now feel more awake and energetic.

Also I notice that I lose weight in my torso area before anything else ( boobs and stomach) instead of evenly all over, which is great because I'm top heavy when I gain weight so now i'm getting more proportionate.

My skin is better. I've always been the type to drink lots of water so my skin was never bad but eating more lean meat, fruit, veggies and good carbs has made a difference in my skin.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am definitely colder this winter than before -- but I tolerate the heat much better.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can wear sweaters. I never used to wear them even in the depths of winter because I was always too warm (and sweaty). Now I can dress appropriately for the season and be comfortable. On the less positive side, although I have lost my double chin, I appear to have developed a wattle of loose skin under there (makes me look my age...)
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else get taller? Is that even possible? I am 56 years old, and have been 5'4" since about age 16. Last week, new doctor measured me at 5'5". I told her I was 5'4", so she re-measured. Still 5'5"! I have lost 172 pounds. Maybe it was causing my back to curve??
  • eringraczyk
    eringraczyk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    From my heaviest point, I had lost about 90 pounds. For a variety of reasons, I've gained about 25 back, so now I'm trying to get back to where I was at my lightest and keep going from there. Surprising things that don't fit anymore after serious weight loss: Shoes, sunglasses, and (sadly) some friendships.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone -- something for me to look forward to. What I am noticing at this point of losing only 4 lbs this month, is that I am feistier - not so eager to please. I seem to want to focus more on getting to the gym, recovering from my workouts, going to bed at a decent time, staying true to myself cuz I am on a mission. :grumble:
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am cold all the time too. I've had to get a little plastic piece to help keep my rings on my hands. I agree with the grease thing. You can definitely now taste the difference and it won't agree with you.

Plastic piece? What is it called? All my rings are falling off my fingers!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The "plastic piece" is apparently called a ring snuggie and is just a split plastic tube that fits around your ring. I got mine at Claire's. Alas, I found it one wedding ring too late.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else get taller? Is that even possible? I am 56 years old, and have been 5'4" since about age 16. Last week, new doctor measured me at 5'5". I told her I was 5'4", so she re-measured. Still 5'5"! I have lost 172 pounds. Maybe it was causing my back to curve??

Yes! That kind of excess weight causes compression of the spine (did you have a lot of back pain?). I got shorter as my weight climbed (by about an inch--I too went from 5'5" to 5'4"). Now that I have lost 50 pounds and have been working out, I am back to my high school height. Weird but true! :smile:
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Taller? Really? Now I am really stoked! - Maybe if I get to my goal I can be 5'2".....
  • holdingon2faith793
    Options
    funny :) I feel much warmer now than before I lost the weight. Bloodflow must be better even though the insulation is worse...

Agree on the tasting of grease. I used to LOOOOVE potato chips, now I get a nasty feeling at the roof of my mouth when I have some.
    the following is TMI, but my bowels are more... um... regular. which is definitely very good.

THIS SUMS ME UP.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I can wear sweaters. I never used to wear them even in the depths of winter because I was always too warm (and sweaty). Now I can dress appropriately for the season and be comfortable. On the less positive side, although I have lost my double chin, I appear to have developed a wattle of loose skin under there (makes me look my age...)

LOL---I have it too--although it has been firming up with specific mouth exercises that I do and also applying a moisturizing cream with hyaluronic acid in it. Now, if I could only get rid of my "bat wings"... :laugh:
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have noticed all of these. On the positive side a lot of things are better! It’s easier to find clothes, sex is more enjoyable, and I don't hate looking at pictures of myself anymore.

This is me^^^
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My boobies are gone :sad:

NOT THE BOOBIES!!! :sad:

I freaking HOPE mine go away. Last time I gained weight, for the first time in my life my cup size went up. And it's killing my shoulders.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My boobies are gone :sad:

HA HA HA! This literally made me laugh out loud! I hadn't seen my family for awhile and I finally got to over the holidays! The first thing my sister says is, " WOW you lost weight! Where did your boobs go?"
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How much time you spend in the laundry room with two people working out every day!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I'm just going to add that the "fat and grease" you're tasting is most likely pufas like vegetable oil, canola oil, soybean oil etc. Saturated fat and other healthy fats don't leave that nasty rancid icky taste in your mouth like frakenfats do.

I've been popping my own popcorn lately.. I found out you can pop it in the microwave in a plain brown paper lunchbag and it works the same as microwave popcorn. A couple weeks ago I got lazy and decided to pop a left over Orville Reddenbacher movie butter mini bag.. GOOD GOD. It tasted like a slick greasy lard like layer of sludge in my mouth. And before I started doing it from scratch I had gotten USED to that!
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How much time you spend in the laundry room with two people working out every day!

Haha! true! I have only 1 set of gym clothes too so it is constant washing!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    [Adult Content]

Many of the women have remarked that they are disappointed by the reduction in their breast size due to weight loss.

For the guys, it's the opposite. It's been said we gain back an inch for every 50 pounds we lose.

[/Adult Content]