How am I doing so far? What can I do differently?

Options
13»

Replies

• hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I can't trust someone's food-related judgment when they've never been overweight. How can they honestly relate to your situation?
    Oh! One thing I forgot to mention: My BF's parents are living with us for a bit. They cook our dinners. They're relatively healthy dinners, all homemade from scratch. I'm careful about my portion sizes, and try to keep it light on the more carb-y stuff. I try to figure what calories from researching online the different ingredients, but I'm sure it's not 100% accurate.

Before someone says it, no, there is no way I can just stop eating what they make. If I were to come home to pasta alfredo or something OBVIOUSLY bad, I could say no, because they know I'm trying to lose weight. Which is why they're being mindful of what they make (and neither have ever been overweight, so I do trust them). If I were to just say "NOPE NO WAY, NEVER" because I didn't make it myself, I know I'd insult them (different culture, if that makes any difference). I need to draw a line between keeping the peace and doing what's best for me, which is what I've been trying to do.

if someone else is cooking your dinner for you, there is no way for you to know how many calories you are eating. I would suggest asking parents if you could help cook with them because you are trying to lose weight and need to count calories. Good job upping your water intake. Jillian Michaels says burn more calories than you eat. She also says eating between 1200 and 1400 cals/day is okay. So I DO NOT eat back my exercise calories. Nope. Won't do it. And I AM FULL throughout the day.

Unfortunately, that's not an option. By the time I get off work, and get home from zumba, it's 8pm-8:30pm. Dinner has already been made, and in most cases, they already ate and saved me a plate. Again, I realize it would be ideal for me to tell them to stop making me food, but I really, truly can't. You don't realize how rude they'd perceive it, especially since they're already cooking pretty healthy food. But, I will try to keep my breakfasts/lunches tiny so that I can afford it, just in case. And not eat back my exercise cals anymore.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Similar to above but I would say only eating up to 50% of those calories back as MFP tends to over-estimate calories burned. I doubt you're burning nearly 1,000 calories in a zumba class.

I have a HRM and when i do my 50 minute zumba class, i easily burn over 600 calories, so it is very doable.
  • Razbet
    Razbet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating 4 -1 cup servings of raw vegetables or 1/2 cup cooked and 2 fruits everyday. You will be surprised!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look into storage options for things - i dont buy alot of these types of things as well because my husband is away for work 2 weeks a month so its just me at home eating and I find things go bad when I buy bulk of them (onions, salad greens, carrots, etc), but its very frustrating to not having it available, especially when you crave it like I did for dinner last night. Freezing fresh vegetables is something I hadnt even really considered but maybe i can divy up things like that and keep some stored frozen until I need them and thaw them out that way!

Unfortunately alot of the long -life items you mentioned I just dont like (tomatos and beans being the main ones) but I get the point. There are things I could do in there - I just kind of always went with the assumption that canned things tended to have alot of preservatives and such that would be bad? I prefer frozen veggies to canned ones, just for taste reasons, but even those I just never seem to stock up on enough and should change that. We have a freezer of fresh fish and deer that I actually forget about since its in the garage, but would be beneficial to thaw some out and make up enough for lunches for a week or something.

Again being harsh you can make excuses or you can make a change. I am sure you know yourself you cannot raise a child to have no healthy foods with a fussy parent, that is not going to teach them the right way to live. I made excuses until I got so sick I could not work for a couple of years, my lifestyle was not the sole cause but it was a major factor - feel free to bite back I won't be offended but, please, learn from the stupidity of others. I was very fussy with my foods, lived alone when I started eating healthier and was on a very tight budget, ditto now. I do have stores much closer than yours but I don't drive so I bulk shop and I make that work. Sometimes food gets thrown away but it still works out cheaper than ready made food.

Fresh salad items do go bad fast so do many fresh fruits and they are expensive because of all the waste in growing, transportation and sales so I don't buy much of either. If you eat the recommended nine servings a day it's amazing how fast you can get through fresh produce before it goes bad. Most root vegetables (onions, carrots swede, sweet potato, parsnip) should last weeks if you don't let them get too wet or dry out and keep them dark; look online for the best way to store maybe you are not getting it quite right. Celery, cabbage, whole bell peppers and eggplant (aubergine) are all pretty good too - if they start going funny all these make great soups or tomato and meditteranean vegetable sauce for pasta and cheese, fish or meat. I make the flavour richer with red wine and you can freeze the sauce or the soup.

I retrained myself to like healthier foods by just keep trying them and hiding them in (homemade) sauces, don't like everything now but a decent variety. Some canned beans and lentils have added sodium but it's not going to be as much as you are eating now, drain them into a colander/ sieve and rinse under the running tap, canned tomatoes come with nothing added, I wouldn't personally buy most other canned veggies only frozen. All these foods have other nutrients that will 'balance out' the sodium in the body which boxed foods just don't. Your deli meats and processed cheeses will likely be stuffed with preservatives, not just salt.

Definitely cook up the fresh fish and deer, that is perfect!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I can't trust someone's food-related judgment when they've never been overweight. How can they honestly relate to your situation?

Now apply that logic to every medical/ health/ lifestyle/ fitness professional you have ever dealt with, for yourself or for a younger or elderly relative. They have to be the right age, gender and have that precise health issue to be able to diagnose or treat? Blind opticians, physically disabled trauma doctors, male cosmetic surgeons with breast implants, morbidly obese personal trainers, elderly geriatric nurses, GPs who are too sick to be able to leave their beds bringing a whole other meaning to 'bedside manner'.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Again being harsh you can make excuses or you can make a change. I am sure you know yourself you cannot raise a child to have no healthy foods with a fussy parent, that is not going to teach them the right way to live. I made excuses until I got so sick I could not work for a couple of years, my lifestyle was not the sole cause but it was a major factor - feel free to bite back I won't be offended but, please, learn from the stupidity of others. I was very fussy with my foods, lived alone when I started eating healthier and was on a very tight budget, ditto now. I do have stores much closer than yours but I don't drive so I bulk shop and I make that work. Sometimes food gets thrown away but it still works out cheaper than ready made food.

Fresh salad items do go bad fast so do many fresh fruits and they are expensive because of all the waste in growing, transportation and sales so I don't buy much of either. If you eat the recommended nine servings a day it's amazing how fast you can get through fresh produce before it goes bad. Most root vegetables (onions, carrots swede, sweet potato, parsnip) should last weeks if you don't let them get too wet or dry out and keep them dark; look online for the best way to store maybe you are not getting it quite right. Celery, cabbage, whole bell peppers and eggplant (aubergine) are all pretty good too - if they start going funny all these make great soups or tomato and meditteranean vegetable sauce for pasta and cheese, fish or meat. I make the flavour richer with red wine and you can freeze the sauce or the soup.

I retrained myself to like healthier foods by just keep trying them and hiding them in (homemade) sauces, don't like everything now but a decent variety. Some canned beans and lentils have added sodium but it's not going to be as much as you are eating now, drain them into a colander/ sieve and rinse under the running tap, canned tomatoes come with nothing added, I wouldn't personally buy most other canned veggies only frozen. All these foods have other nutrients that will 'balance out' the sodium in the body which boxed foods just don't. Your deli meats and processed cheeses will likely be stuffed with preservatives, not just salt.

Definitely cook up the fresh fish and deer, that is perfect!

I don't think straight up not liking something is going to completely ruin my success if I don't put it into my diet . I don't like beans and that's not going to change, but there are certainly other things I could eat that would be healthy instead. I'm not saying that i should skip all fruits and veggies, but having a couple things that I cannot stand would be acceptable - assuming I'm getting the right nutrients/recommended servings/etc

I definitely need to look more into storage of things, Ill buy a head of lettuce or celery hearts and they are brown before I even remember I had put them in the crisper. Ill do some research and look into how to properly store these things. There are times like now when its so cold and snowy that you dont want to go to the store and you end up just eating what you have at home, which is why I need to do better with having these things around and more easily accessible. We literally have no vegetables in our house after I ate the frozen asparagus the other day, except the ones that are "hidden" in the juices and applesauce I have (which is negligible at best). I hate wasting food (and thus money) so if i can figure out how to store things a little better than that would be a huge step and I'd definitely keep things around more.

I really dont like fish either but I'll eat it haha.

Tonight for dinner we are supposed to have shepards pie, which will have veggies and be made with the venison, but will still have processed stuff (mashed potatoes) but at least its a little better.

We'll do some shopping today or tomorrow and I'll try to buy some cut meats and natural cheeses instead of the stuff that I have been (I do love cheese!), plus frozen veggies and fruits too, and some of the fresh stuff once I figure out what I'm doing wrong with that! Thanks :)

Its pretty interesting though that you can think you are doing alright and then get someone elses perspective from the outside and its no where near what you thought!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Your logic is missing the obvious. Those are all LEARNED traits. One can't just learn to have good genes. What you're trying to argue is that just because they've never been overweight, they are experts on how to eat healthy. That may not be the case. Sure, she can trust them, because she knows them better than any of us, but again, who's to say they're just thin because they were blessed with "skinny" genes.

Now apply that logic to every medical/ health/ lifestyle/ fitness professional you have ever dealt with, for yourself or for a younger or elderly relative. They have to be the right age, gender and have that precise health issue to be able to diagnose or treat? Blind opticians, physically disabled trauma doctors, male cosmetic surgeons with breast implants, morbidly obese personal trainers, elderly geriatric nurses, GPs who are too sick to be able to leave their beds bringing a whole other meaning to 'bedside manner'.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Regarding cheat days: If you are going to take one, make sure you track everything. Even if it's 3000 calories. By tracking everything, your cheat day may not be such a bad day after all.

Also, quit with the negative comments about "No fatty, you don't deserve that cookie" Replace that kind of thinking with thoughts like "I've worked really hard and I'm proud of myself. As long as I budget my calories for the occasional cookie or other treat, everything will fall into place."

positive thinking goes a LONG LONG way!