New to MFP - Kevin

Good morning. Not sure if I want to do the whole Forum/Support thing again. I did it in 2009 when I quit smoking, but as I was beating my addiction to cigarettes, I became addicted to the forum. But, I went ahead anyway and typed my introduction in here a week or so back. But there was a glitch and lost the post into the internet "clouds" or something. I figured that was a sign that I didn't need the forum. But, I'm back again. Maybe I'm still addicted to internet forums.

Here it goes: My name is Kevin and I'm 50 years old. Sheesh, I hate saying that! I was 205 lbs when I retired from my Navy Reserve career in the spring of 2011. Then I promptly let myself go. For me, it was a relief for me not having to stay in "tip-top" shape for the first time in 20-some years. But, 50 lbs later, I knew I had to do something. It's uncomfortable to find a good sleeping position and I hated looking in the mirror. So in December, I planned the date of Jan 7. I'd finish vacation, get off my butt and try to lose the weight.

A friend had told me of an iPhone app called MyFitnessPal and I downloaded it. I’ve lost weight by lowering my food intake before, but I've never really counted my calories. I figured it couldn’t hurt, so I downloaded it. Then on the morning of Monday, Jan 7th I did my starting weight. My stats: Approx 5’10”, 247 lbs. The app said if I wanted to lose 2 lbs per week, that I had a daily goal of 1,480 calories.

I decided to do my weekly weigh-ins on Fridays because of the weekends. It's easier to watch what I eat/drink during the week and it would likely be my lowest weight of the week. I felt that the lower number would help build my confidence more than it would if I weighed myself on Monday mornings.

Week 1: I stayed below my 1,480 per day limit and Friday’s weigh-in was a nice surprise at 239. Of course, I knew that the first week numbers would likely be skewed, but I will take the 8 lb loss.

I wish I would have thought of doing it earlier, but I didn’t. After dropping 8 lbs, I had my wife take my “before” pic and help me with some measurements. Waist 48, Chest 43, Neck 18. Let’s see how much I can improve on the first number. I won't post that picture, because I hate it. Maybe later when I'm closer to my goals, I'll post a before/current picture.

Week 2: I’m using my iPhone app religiously. And at the end of the second week, I was down to 235. That’s a total of 12 lbs in the first two weeks. Again, I know that it will be tougher as I go through this process, but I’ll take it and be happy.

Tomorrow will be the end of the third week. After a so-so weekend, I’ve been doing good this week and looking forward to my weigh-in.

There. That’s my intro. You can wake up now. :bigsmile:

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Great job, Kevin. Keep it up! What I like about MFP is that I can use the app on my phone, the app on my Kindle Fire and the website; so I really don't have any excuses not to log in my food and exercise. Good luck to you on this journey!
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks nczuczu! I found the same with the app and it was a pleasant surprise. It syncs up when I sign on. My iPhone, my computer and the family iPad. Way better tool than I thought it would be.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    I had joined last year, but that was before I had the app on my kindle. Now I find it so easy to enter my food/exercise as I'm sitting at home, at the gym or in a wi-fi hot spot. I really don't have any excuses! :) I can't synch up using my phone, but at least I can look up and see what the nutritional value is if I'm at a restaurant. You are doing a fantastic job...keep it up!

Nancy
  • Kevin,

Name here is John, live in the State of CT. Top weight was 247 started a few weeks ago, lost an honest 8lbs
    by using food log and being in a structured exercise program at local Ymca 3-5 days a week. Lost about a week with holidays and travel. Back at it now... goal to loose another 20 lbs (ending at 217lbs) by March 27th then off sailing with my Family. Could use a mate to help each other.... the 25 yr old woman while I am sure helpful, just dont relate. let me know your thoughts on how we might help each other.

John (johnl7777)
  • KevinS62
    Kevin,

Top weight was 247 started a few weeks ago, lost an honest 8lbs by using food log and being in a structured exercise program at local Ymca 3-5 days a week. Lost about a week with holidays and travel. Back at it now... goal to loose another 20 lbs (ending at 217lbs) by March 27th then off sailing with my Family. Could use a mate to help each other.... let me know your thoughts on how we might help each other.

John (johnl7777)

John,
    Sounds great. We both started at 247, I'm hoping to be at 230 by Feb 1, 220 by March and would love to be 210 by April (I'll settle for 215). I'm not sure how everything works on this site, but I sent a friend invite to you. Not sure which things give a notification, so I'll post here and send a PM as well.

-Kevin
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Kevin, everyone needs friends on MFP, my advice is to find a good gang who will support you and vice versa. I love, love, love MFP and am feeling after 3 weeks quite chummy with my friends. Add some of us, it won't hurt or make you put on weight. You might just enjoy it. Good luck, add me if you want, regards danielle
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    I love this app its brilliant ad the support is great. Good luck in your journey; ill support you all the way. Im watching you! X
  • CourtGettingThin
    CourtGettingThin Posts: 4 Member
    Congrats!
    The app is a great way for "No Excuses!"
    I know what it's like to be addicted to forums, i've been on one for 10 year!
  • KevinS62
    Kevin, everyone needs friends on MFP, my advice is to find a good gang who will support you and vice versa. I love, love, love MFP and am feeling after 3 weeks quite chummy with my friends. Add some of us, it won't hurt or make you put on weight. You might just enjoy it. Good luck, add me if you want, regards danielle

Danielle,
    Absolutely. The more friends, the merrier. Right now I'm still trying to get used to the place. It doesn't appear that I'll get any notification that someone posted a reply to me in a thread.

I'm trying to fire up a group somone started a while back for men. Not much activity, but I'll keep pushing.