Bonus Calories for Cardio???

Options
124»

Replies

• CarmenLM21
    Options
    Hi, I work at a personal trainer and in my opinion you should get a partial amount of those cardio calories. Like a few other people mentioned, MFP starts you off with a calorie deficit already. In order to lose 1 lb/per week you should have a daily deficit of 500 calories and for 2 lbs/week it should be 1,000/day. So if you're at a daily deficit of 1,200 your body could go into starvation mode. I would recommend you eat the 200 cals (or whatever amount gets you within the 1,000 calorie range). It may not seem like 200 calories could change a whole lot but those lost nutrients will take their toll on your metabolism. Try adding a simple protein shake (protein powder and water) and fruit immediately after your cardio sessions. Depending on your choice of protein powder this should only add between 100-150 calories. The shake and fruit will give your body the protein and fructose (carbs) necessary to recuperate from the workout without having you add all those calories back into your diet. Hope this helps!!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't eat under my BMR and I've set up my daily goals at -20% TDEE. Sometimes I eat back exercise calories, sometimes not. I'm just trying to stay within a certain range. Good luck to you
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back around half my calories when I work out, not because I make myself eat, but because I'm hungry.

My deficit is pretty low already. Say I go with 1,200 cals. If I work out & burn 450 calories, having a net of 750 is pretty low.

Another good analogy: When you sweat, you get thirsty right? You're working & need to replenish fluids. You don't say "oh I lost all this water weight I don't want to gain it back." Calories are a form of energy for your body, so when you use up energy, your body needs more to function on.