Boosting your Metabolism Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle mass increases your metabolism. The end.

hotmolly is correct as well, as it takes more energy for your body to supply nutrients to your muscle
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    isn't it pretty much a fallacy that extra muscle burns an extraordinary amount of calories?

i think i read somewhere on these forums that it's only 5 extra calories per pound of muscle and considering how hard it is to build muscle, especially as a woman, i wouldn't bet on being able to double to metabolism or anything.

weight lifting still has other benefits though but in general i think your metabolism is determined larger by your genes
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training... lifting heavy...

^^^DEFINITELY this^^^

Also, staying away from simple carbs SEEMS to help improve thyroid function (and thus boosts metabolism). Mark Hyland, M.D. has written (in his daily health column) about putting his Type II diabetes patients on a diet with fewer simple carbs to help lower their blood sugar. (Don't know whether they exercised more or not, as he didn't speak to that.) He said that one surprising finding was that thyroid function improved on the diet as well. However, if they were exercising more, at the same time, it isn't a fair test of the lower carb eating because metabolism speeds up with increased exercise and adding muscle mass anyway. Would be interesting to see a clinical trial using the diet alone. There is some evidence that high carb eating--especially eating sugar--(in the absence of vigorous exercise) will cause a slowdown in metabolism.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    isn't it pretty much a fallacy that extra muscle burns an extraordinary amount of calories?

i think i read somewhere on these forums that it's only 5 extra calories per pound of muscle and considering how hard it is to build muscle, especially as a woman, i wouldn't bet on being able to double to metabolism or anything.

weight lifting still has other benefits though but in general i think your metabolism is determined larger by your genes

Mmmm--probably not as our genetics would have had to change a LOT to reflect the increase in the rates of obesity over the last several decades. And the gene pool simply doesn't change that quickly. Both of my parents were quite slender until the 1950s. They were actually somewhat emaciated as children during the Great Depression and as teens during the WW II years---as rationing meant that you could not get much excess food. My dad said he was always hungry during those years. However, they both became fat during the 1950s and 60s (along with all of we kids). We always had LOTS of bread, cake, doughnuts, pie, sweet rolls, chips, soda pop, etc. around. I don't think it was genetics at all.

p.s. We also spent a great deal of time in front of the TV--instead of attending square dances once a week as the old (and thin) farmers in our rural town did. My dad had a sedentary job--unlike his parents who worked a farm. Could have had a lot to do with the fact that they lived into their 80s and my dad died of obesity related complications at 56.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

It's about a 10 cal / lb of lbm of BMR.

Which means that it modifies your TDEE by 12 to 20 calories per lb of LBM per day. Or a 1% increase in LBM for the average 180 lb person is roughly 200 to 400 cal increase in TDEE, depending on activity.

Ref: In depth review of the BMR equations and data based on LBM. Just look it up.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous postings.
    Also as much as possible ensure that your calories contain as much food value as possible.
    That's one point I have noticed that a lot of people miss.
    At 1200 (or whatever) calories MFP sets for you,
    if too many of them are non-nutritious there may likely be a metabolic slowdown.
    Your body runs optimally on nutrients. A lot of 'foods' don't have many.
    End...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    There have been a couple of studies showing that a cup of green tea will increase your metabolism by 1%. This effect tops out at 2 cups (meaning if you drink more than two, your metabolism will still only go up 2%). So, if you're burning 2000 calories a day and drinking two cups of green tea, you'll burn an extra 40 calories. Not enough to make any difference in weight loss.

So, all these products that claim to increase your metabolism may actually have some effect on it, just not enough to really help with weight loss.

Sorry, but you're stuck with eating less and moving more.

However, there are other reasons for drinking green tea that have to do with good health (so you can exercise more :wink: ). Green tea is full of beneficial phytochemicals called epicatechins which actually will help your body to repair damaged DNA. It also contains substances which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. There is also evidence that it suppresses the appetite to some degree, especially when you use a squeeze of lemon (a mild acid like lemon help you to absorb the phytochemicals better).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Anybody know if garcinia cambogia (Citrimax) is effective or is it all hype? Dr. Oz (a questionable source for sure) is positively rapturous about it (I wonder if he has a stake in the company that sells Citrimax?)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Anybody know if garcinia cambogia (Citrimax) is effective or is it all hype? Dr. Oz (a questionable source for sure) is positively rapturous about it (I wonder if he has a stake in the company that sells Citrimax?)

If all, or any of the things Dr. Oz recommends worked. He would only ever have to tout ONE
    He touts ONE almost Every show. One Brand NEW weight loss discovery EVERY DAY?

I'm more interested in paying attention to simple things I've heard, years ago. Things he purports to know
    NOTHING about. And always comes across as SO surprised to hear.
    Save your money to buy Fruits and Vegetables.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information everybody! Im so knowledgeable now :) Every little bit helps . Ive learned so much on MFP since Ive been here since July and lost almost 50 lbs...Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and eat a ton, and the weight has stayed stable. It's crazy. As soon as I started weight training, my weight loss was easily maintained. "Dieting" even at 1470 a day(my supposed BMR) gave me a huge weight loss plateau, so I stopped doing cardio and started lifting heavy. Also, I eat a ton of protein. I eat a high-protein, high-fat diet, and I highly recommend it. I had about 180 g of protein today.

Also, in response to the commenter who mentioned how much muscle burns at rest, while that is true that it's not much, the calorie expenditure your body puts out repairing muscle tissue after a workout is fairly significant over a long period of time. I looked up several studies on it and was quite surprised.
  • rettigkl
    Options
    My best advice is to buy the "Master Your Metabolism" book by Jillian Michaels. She has written some amazing stuff in the book that has completely opened my mind to why weight loss is the way it is and how to get the metabolism moving. Some key things that stuck out to me:

"Remove"- unhealthy food, obviously. Try to keep to smaller portion sizes.

"Restore"- eat whole foods. If it doesn't have a mother and doesn't grow from the ground- don't eat it. In other words, Cheetos do not grow from the ground and do not have a mother, so they are processed and something our hormones have to interpret like a foreign language.

"Rebalance"- Try to get a full 8 hours of sleep a night, eat every four hours and not after nine.

Go organic because all of the extra chemicals put onto packaging really screws up the hormones in our metabolism.
    Avoid HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP at all costs. Anything that ends in -ose should be read as "poison".

"Studies have shown that people who eat the most fiber, lose the most amount of weight." (136).

Best power nutrient foods:
    red beans, garlic, berries, Alaskan wild salmon (meat & eggs), tomatoes- even in the form of ketchup, broccoli, spinach, almonds and walnuts, organic low-fat plain yogurt, oats and barley.

"When buying a processed whole grain product, look at the ingredients- the whole grain should be the first one listed." (145).

Just a couple things I pulled out; feel free to maybe google some book reviews? I'm loving it so far and the best of luck to you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The following things boost metabolism:
    Food
    Exercise
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I lift heavy and eat a ton, and the weight has stayed stable. It's crazy. As soon as I started weight training, my weight loss was easily maintained. "Dieting" even at 1470 a day(my supposed BMR) gave me a huge weight loss plateau, so I stopped doing cardio and started lifting heavy. Also, I eat a ton of protein. I eat a high-protein, high-fat diet, and I highly recommend it. I had about 180 g of protein today.

Also, in response to the commenter who mentioned how much muscle burns at rest, while that is true that it's not much, the calorie expenditure your body puts out repairing muscle tissue after a workout is fairly significant over a long period of time. I looked up several studies on it and was quite surprised.

^^^THIS^^^
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    The following things boost metabolism:
    Food
    Exercise

^^^And this too!^^^ :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    My best advice is to buy the "Master Your Metabolism" book by Jillian Michaels. She has written some amazing stuff in the book that has completely opened my mind to why weight loss is the way it is and how to get the metabolism moving. Some key things that stuck out to me:

"Remove"- unhealthy food, obviously. Try to keep to smaller portion sizes.

"Restore"- eat whole foods. If it doesn't have a mother and doesn't grow from the ground- don't eat it. In other words, Cheetos do not grow from the ground and do not have a mother, so they are processed and something our hormones have to interpret like a foreign language.

"Rebalance"- Try to get a full 8 hours of sleep a night, eat every four hours and not after nine.

Go organic because all of the extra chemicals put onto packaging really screws up the hormones in our metabolism.
    Avoid HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP at all costs. Anything that ends in -ose should be read as "poison".

"Studies have shown that people who eat the most fiber, lose the most amount of weight." (136).

Best power nutrient foods:
    red beans, garlic, berries, Alaskan wild salmon (meat & eggs), tomatoes- even in the form of ketchup, broccoli, spinach, almonds and walnuts, organic low-fat plain yogurt, oats and barley.

"When buying a processed whole grain product, look at the ingredients- the whole grain should be the first one listed." (145).

Just a couple things I pulled out; feel free to maybe google some book reviews? I'm loving it so far and the best of luck to you!

^^^AND THIS TOO^^^ Love your body---life is too short to mistreat it---it is the temple of your soul and spirit. :smile:

p.s. Have you ever seen the video where they set fire to a Cheeto? Hilarious. I have a friend who uses them as fire starters. :laugh:
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great tips! :):flowerforyou:
  • spark7good
    Options
    eat within the first 30mins of waking up and eat every 2-3 hrs and stop eatting 2-3 hrs before bed :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    eat within the first 30mins of waking up and eat every 2-3 hrs and stop eatting 2-3 hrs before bed :)

This is just a myth. It doesn't matter when you eat in terms of metabolism.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options

This is just a myth. It doesn't matter when you eat in terms of metabolism.

yupp definitely debunked. Not eating after a certain time will help reduce nightime snacking but your body does not care when you get your calories.