Strength training over 40

Options
I am a 44 year old female,almost at my goal.I've been walking and running for the last three years throwing in some weights and tension bands a few times a week.I've recently started 30 day shred and have loved the results so far.My question is,is it possible for a woman of my age to build my biceps? I know after 40 women start to lose muscle mass so,in the past,I've stuck to just the minimum but now I would like to challange myself. Any others who got serious about weights this late?

Replies

• azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I actually have biceps now at 45. Also, on the leg press I've gone from 45 lbs. 6 months ago to 105 lbs. today, and probably higher very soon.

I'm not trying to look like a bodybuilder, but I love the bit of definition in my arms already. And when I flex I do have a bicep!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    46 year old male here, not a trainer or Dr., so take my input with a grain of salt.

LIFT

You won't regret it.

I started lifting a year ago and can't believe how much better I look and feel.

Check out the following book: "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women"
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    45 here. I like to show off my guns, while holding my first granddaughter :)

If you're not sure of what to do check out Jamie Eason's Live Fit program on Bodybuilding.com. Watch the video's, read the articles, print the workout schedule. Trust me, you'll love the results if you follow the program =)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Now I'm psyched!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've seen reports of women and men in their 70s and beyond who didn't discover weight training until their 60s. If it wasn't too late for them to get jacked, it's not too late for you. ;)