Iron rich foods

Options
I am low on my iron every day so I googled "Iron rich foods". I came across two lists of food.
Both of the lists state that wholemeal bread and baked beans contain iron.
I have had beans on toast for lunch today and have recorded it. Both products say 0 iron.
How can this be?
:huh:

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    A lot of the user submitted foods do not have everything listed. You can enter the data yourself.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I never add iron - its not included in the nurtitional pannel on products in australia :(

but my tip is broccoli is supergood for iron :)
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I have low iron (been deferred from giving blood because of it). The only way I can even come close to getting the recommended amount of iron is iron-fortified cereal. I'm eating Special K right now; between that and all my veges (broccoli, spinach greens, etc.), I'm hitting about the recommended level. I do take a slow-release supplement for good measure! Good luck
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said, perhaps you were using an entry where someone just didn't fill out all of the categories. If I am pressed for time and entering a food not already listed, sometimes I get lazy and enter just the fat and calories, though that's typically a food that I know I might never eat again and I don't include it for everyone else to use.

If you're looking for more iron, I try to eat a hamburger or other red meat before giving blood to get my iron up. But on a regular basis I find that my cereal typically puts me at or way over my iron requirement for the day. Not sure if you have any Aldi grocery stores near you, but their cereal brand Millville seems to contain a lot of iron. I like the "cheerios" with dried fruit.
  • melroseg2002
    Options
    Kidney beans are good for iron
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said, perhaps you were using an entry where someone just didn't fill out all of the categories. If I am pressed for time and entering a food not already listed, sometimes I get lazy and enter just the fat and calories, though that's typically a food that I know I might never eat again and I don't include it for everyone else to use.

If you're looking for more iron, I try to eat a hamburger or other red meat before giving blood to get my iron up. But on a regular basis I find that my cereal typically puts me at or way over my iron requirement for the day. Not sure if you have any Aldi grocery stores near you, but their cereal brand Millville seems to contain a lot of iron. I like the "cheerios" with dried fruit.

There are quite a few of us on here that don't eat meat and we have to take our iron in pill form to reach the RDA.