Trouble working out some days but not others??

Options
For example, last week I got a side cramp on the elliptical after 5 minutes, I usually go for a half an hour to an hour with no cramps at all? What are side cramps caused from??

Or today, after about 15 minutes on the elliptical I felt like my lungs were collapsing every time I took a breath in, I've never had trouble breathing while doing the elliptical before. So I took a break to do weights, and continued after and the feeling continued and stayed even for about 20 minutes after my workout.

Why can my body handle workouts on some days and not other? What causes side cramps or the the feeling I got today (lungs feeling as if they were collapsing when i breathe?)

Just looking for some answers and advice.
Thanks for taking the time :)

Replies

• groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump..please. :)
  • groversa
    Options
    bump...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Everyone has crappy days in the gym. It just happens, to some more than others. Just as an example, I went in one day, tried pulling 315 (my warmup weight) on deadlift, but couldn't get it to budge. Dropped down to 225, ripped it off of the floor, still couldn't get 315 up. No idea why, it was just a crap day. Went back the next day, and pulled 365 and then 405 easily.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sometimes you just have one of those days. make sure you always stretch thoroughly before working out, and warm up for about 5-10 minutes. try to get all of your eating/drinking in and finished 2 hours before your workout begins, save the water for after (unless you get really thirsty during). these are things that helped me. also, are you getting enough potassium?
  • groversa
    Options
    I just added potassium to my Food, it looks like i haven't really had enough.
  • corridor7f
    Options
    Sometimes the subtlest thing can affect your workout - what you ate that day, how much sleep you got, stress... other times, it's just random. I did not understand superstition in athletes (like having lucky socks) until I started running and realized how random and beyond-our-control certain days are.

When was the last time you worked out? If you're new, you could be tired from doing two days in a row.. if not, maybe your body is like mine and it reverts quickly if you don't push it daily.

Remember, if you made the effort to workout, you've succeeded. "Bad workouts", "bad runs", "bad days" are just a test of our resilience. Don't give up!
  • groversa
    Options
    Sometimes the subtlest thing can affect your workout - what you ate that day, how much sleep you got, stress... other times, it's just random. I did not understand superstition in athletes (like having lucky socks) until I started running and realized how random and beyond-our-control certain days are.

When was the last time you worked out? If you're new, you could be tired from doing two days in a row.. if not, maybe your body is like mine and it reverts quickly if you don't push it daily.

Remember, if you made the effort to workout, you've succeeded. "Bad workouts", "bad runs", "bad days" are just a test of our resilience. Don't give up!

Don't worry, not giving up. And I have been going almost every day for a little more than a month now. But the sleep, what I ate thing makes sense
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Don't worry, not giving up. And I have been going almost every day for a little more than a month now. But the sleep, what I ate thing makes sense

^^ This.

i also remind myself that just showing up is more than I did before my journey. Cut yourself some slack - and remember that it's a long term deal. I remind myself that long term, I will be able to continue.
  • groversa
    Options

^^ This.

i also remind myself that just showing up is more than I did before my journey. Cut yourself some slack - and remember that it's a long term deal. I remind myself that long term, I will be able to continue.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it can be anything. not fully recovered from the previous workout. disturbance in sleep pattern. change in diet. stress. it's normal so don't worry about. we all do better on some days than others.

and stop bumping threads after 10 mins. we're not google. give us a chance and we'll answer you
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that cramps are caused by dehydration. Don't know if it's true (I'm a water FIEND and never get cramps), but drinking more sure can't hurt!