One of the dumbest PC things to date.

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    jbfc

What in the holy hell does that mean? You darn kids and your silly acronyms!

Damn kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Soon the world will be wimpy, or at least the USA is going to be the wimpiest country that exists. I was just listening to news radio, and some group is saying that teachers should no longer mark school papers in red pen, because red upsets the kids.... it is recommended that they use blue "or other not so intimidating colors".

Are you freaking serious?
    Folks have been saying that for years. I was taught that in my Ed. degree in the 80s.. Is it true? Meh. Is it a big deal? Not really.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    You should see how they do report cards now. You need an education degree to decipher it. Rather than grading them for subjects, they score them for benchmarks. I sent a comment informing them that educational jargon is utterly useless to a parent looking to reinforce performance.

i just recently heard the term "benchmark." what is it exactly?

i was actually going to post that i am surprised kids even receive grades anymore.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    How does this pussify anyone? It's an *F* or *wrong* whether it's in blue, black, red or green.

Our elementary schools haven't used red ink in over 10 years. They felt it stood out too much and other kids could easily see it. When you have a kid that's already struggling why add being teased by their classmates to it?

How does this effect you?

I think it's more to the point that making a big deal out of the color pen used to grade papers is utterly senseless and has no real impact on the child's performance.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    I was graded with a red pen and it made me the tough man I am today!

ahem....
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    I see nothing wrong with papers being graded with red ink.

If as a child (older, not elementary per se), all the red impacts you...maybe that should be taken as a wakeup call.

I sure as hell went :noway: when I had a paper with all red on it. I didn't curl in a corner and cry or get ashamed. I tried harder.

:drinker:
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    You should see how they do report cards now. You need an education degree to decipher it. Rather than grading them for subjects, they score them for benchmarks. I sent a comment informing them that educational jargon is utterly useless to a parent looking to reinforce performance.

i was actually going to post that i am surprised kids even receive grades anymore.

I consider benchmarks as the specific skills a child should have by the end of that grade. Most states are turning to the common core standards as benchmarks to use. They are pretty broad but provide teachers with the ability to break them down and teach them how they or their district want them to.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member

I have the same complaint. My kids schools use the most rediculus system. I know as a kid... Getting handed a paper with a big red F on it embarrassed me.... Then made me work harder to never get one again
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I was graded with a red pen and it made me the tough man I am today!

ahem....

Patti I could not have laid the sarcasm on any thicker if I tried!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Soon the world will be wimpy, or at least the USA is going to be the wimpiest country that exists. I was just listening to news radio, and some group is saying that teachers should no longer mark school papers in red pen, because red upsets the kids.... it is recommended that they use blue "or other not so intimidating colors".

Are you freaking serious?
    Stop listening to the news, you only reward their behavior.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    I enjoyed seeing my A's in red ink.
  • perfectingpatti
    Patti I could not have laid the sarcasm on any thicker if I tried!

I know. I just wanted to add to it.
  • UsedToBeHusky

A benchmark is a performance measure. Like for example, for math her report card looked something like this (scale of 1-4; 1 - not meeting and 4 - exceeding):

Understands simple arithmetic functions - 3
    Uses and interprets graphs - 4
    Converts fractions to decimals - 2
    Understands geometric shapes - 4
    Understands and utilizes algebraic expression - 1

No overall score in math provided. How exactly is a parent supposed to know how to reinforce the child's performance? I could understand including this as an accompaniment to the report card. But I can't go through each line item, translate it so that she understands what she is being praised for, and then reward her for each one.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member

Haha...I was thinking the same thing. *overachiever*
  • perfectingpatti
    I grade all my Sunday school papers with red ink. Never thought about it until now, but that's the color of the devil! My poor Sunday school kids! :devil:
  • UsedToBeHusky

I consider benchmarks as the specific skills a child should have by the end of that grade. Most states are turning to the common core standards as benchmarks to use. They are pretty broad but provide teachers with the ability to break them down and teach them how they or their district want them to.

Yes. That was my point. It's useful to the teachers, but not the parents.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    How does this effect you?

because i live in the world in which these kids are raised

And how is not using a red pen going to effect the way these kids are being raised?

Because it has to be red pen aarrgghhh!! I was graded with a red pen and it made me the tough man I am today! Kids are so soft, we had it hard. We are going to be the weakest country in the world and probably get invaded by Canada!! This is a country full of whiners and babies and everyone wants to rant about the stupidest things MUST USE RED PEN AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

:yawn:

:flowerforyou:

I'm canadian... and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be thrilled or insulted. lol
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

*beats up the nerds*
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member

*beats up the nerds*

Careful Brett. You'll be needing us later...
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Red? Blue? Does it matter? You're still a failure. And as long as your teacher tells you so, you can dust yourself off, identify the problem, get to work, and better yourself.

However, if your teacher tells you that its ok to fail, then we got real problems.