female, 40's, yo-yo, metabolism

ziesergirl_66
ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,010 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi

I am new to MFP and haven't done much research here yet. I am in my lower 40's and have had yo-yo a range of about 10-40 lbs over the last 15 yrs. Yes, my poor metabolism. I am possibly in the perimenopause yrs and decided I need to get some control of any further wt gain, but more seriously, my main goal is really working towards wt LOSS. So, I have a few questions....

1. have any of you been yo yo dieters and Lost? what helped you reach your goal...and MAINTAIN?
2. is it better to do more resistance training or cardiovascular? seems like lifting wts is very important as we age....and how long should a resistance session last? I am thinking 30-60 min/day for cardio......
3. what really helps boost metabolism?
4. does heart rate matter and at what %, for how long?

Lastly, I am inspired by all the success here!! WOW!!!! I am determined to lose wt and make living a healthier lifestyle something that I can manage on a day to day basis and ultimately, maintain.

thanks in advance!

Replies

• Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    I have the same issue. I'm marking this spot to make it easier to come back later and read the answers! I'm hoping there is some good info out there for someone else in the same boat!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    First let me suggest you get a full blood-work done so you can rule out any other issues - such as perimenopause. I would also ask for a glucose fasting test and A1C (to determine your glucose levels over a period of 3 months)

My personal feeling about weight loss is to mix cardio with strength training because you will build lean muscle mass while shedding fat. For some 30 minutes/day is enough, for me it isn't so you will need to find what works for you and for your schedule. I highly suggest you eat all your calories, and your exercise calories - it works for most people here!

As for heart rate - Fat burning zone for 40 yo is around 108/between 65%-75% of your target HR & Cardio is around 135/or between 75% and 85% of your target HR.

Good luck and welcome!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Wow! You sound just like me!

But this works. I am down almost 15 pounds from my lifetime high, and for the first time in 4 or 5 years, my weight is (just barely) in the healthy range. I plan on going for 10 to 15 more pounds! And I think it will be something I can maintain, since this allows me to track everything every day. That way, if I know I will eat more, I just make sure I get some calorie burning exercise in on that day. I am hopeful now for the first time that I can actually be at a healthy weight and still live a "regular" life with "real" food and not have to eat separate meals from my family (all very active swimmer boys with high calorie requirements!)

Good luck. I hope this encouragement helps.
This discussion has been closed.