Weigh fruits before or after peeling/preparing?

I've not been losing weight for the last three weeks after pigging out from Thanksgiving to New Year's, so I want to crack down on my logging and make sure I'm being as accurate as possible. My question is simple: should you weight your fruits before or after preparing them? For example, I've been weighing my apples whole, but since you probably don't eat the core, are you supposed to slice the apple into edible portions before weighing? How about peeling bananas or oranges? All of which I've been weighing whole. Thanks.

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    limit fruit to 2 pieces a day, and load up on veggies instead (as many studies suggest that sugar helps lock in fat- even though this is "good" sugar). Also Peeling fruits - many nutrients are in the skin of apples - so leave them on! The white part of the apple is where all the sugar is.

If you are weighing, then I'd do it with no peel.
  • Yeah, I don't peel apples, just bananas and oranges. Looking for a more definitive answer to my weighing question, however.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Yeah, I don't peel apples, just bananas and oranges. Looking for a more definitive answer to my weighing question, however.

if it's organic, I eat te core. it's not as tough. I've started weighing foods - seeds, etc. too. Then putting them in my hand so I can gauge when the scale is not around.

Good luck! Seems to be working so far!
  • rn000
    rn000 Posts: 20 Member
    When I eat an apple/pear or whatever other fruit, I weigh it first, eat it, then re-weigh the part of the fruit i didnt eat it and subtract from the initial weight.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    If you swallow it, weigh it. If you don't don't.Thats what I do.
  • When I eat an apple/pear or whatever other fruit, I weigh it first, eat it, then re-weigh the part of the fruit i didnt eat it and subtract from the initial weight.

Good idea... Makes a pretty big difference. I logged a banana I ate about a half-hour ago at 211 calories. I just went back and weighed the peel, and it's only 145 calories not including it; 66 calorie error.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    When I eat an apple/pear or whatever other fruit, I weigh it first, eat it, then re-weigh the part of the fruit i didnt eat it and subtract from the initial weight.

Just what I do
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    It depends on how it is described in the database.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    limit fruit to 2 pieces a day, and load up on veggies instead (as many studies suggest that sugar helps lock in fat- even though this is "good" sugar). Also Peeling fruits - many nutrients are in the skin of apples - so leave them on! The white part of the apple is where all the sugar is.

If you are weighing, then I'd do it with no peel.

Could you cite these studies for when someone is at a caloric deficit?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member

This ^^ I do the same with corn on the cob
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Hmnmm; I haven't clicked on any selections that asked for the weight of my fruit. It either wants the size (small, medium, or large) or the volume (1 cup, etc).
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    I weigh EVERYTHING. My meat. My rice. Carrots. Everything! I had an avocado today and I weighed it whole, then took the stone out and peeled it and weighed it again (there was a significant difference). Believe me it seems like a task but after a week you will enjoy weighing out things and knowing u can enjoy every mouthful to the last! I weigh my cereal in the morning and measure out my milk, I weigh my peanut butter for my toast etc! If it has mass, I weigh it! The more you weigh the more you can get to know your portion sizes. I don't need to weigh cheese anymore as I can tell 30g by eye! But yes, I still weigh it. It keeps me on track and makes me feel good to know I haven't made any mistakes!