am i doing this right? 10lbs 2 weeks

Options
Could someone look at my diary, that seems kinda fast, i do cardio everyday, lift 4 days mon,tues, thur, fri. I dont usually put the lifting on mfp.

Replies

• dazleyj
    dazleyj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • whyldebear
    whyldebear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do no of otheres that have lost a lot quick a friend of mine lost 10lb in 1 week without excercise he started doing slimming world which is all about eating the right food the week after he lost 2.5 lb. so i wouldnt worry too much just take note it will probably slow down x
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Is this the beginning of you working out? It's quite normal to have a very large loss in your first couple weeks -- you just can't get too discouraged if you have a few weeks coming up where you might lose nothing at all. I mean, if you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks, then nothing the next two weeks, you're still averaging over 2 lbs/week, which is a great loss. Just keep that in mind :) And if you indeed have about 200 to lose, you might see big losses for a bit longer, but it will generally start to slow down to a more regular (1-2 pounds/week) pace

Now, on the other hand, if you keep losing at that rate for more than a few more weeks... probably not awesome? My suggestion would be to consider eating a little more -- you're not eating all the calories from your exercise. I try to eat at least half of the extra calories I get from exercise, it keeps my energy levels high. Not eating all those calories could eventually harm you in the long run

I'll add that some people think eating your exercise calories is stupid... (I don't think that, personally) but if you're losing faster than is recommended, eating a little more is an obvious solution to that. Take care!

And congrats on your 10 lbs lost!
  • dazleyj
    Options
    Is this the beginning of you working out? It's quite normal to have a very large loss in your first couple weeks -- you just can't get too discouraged if you have a few weeks coming up where you might lose nothing at all. I mean, if you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks, then nothing the next two weeks, you're still averaging over 2 lbs/week, which is a great loss. Just keep that in mind :) And if you indeed have about 200 to lose, you might see big losses for a bit longer, but it will generally start to slow down to a more regular (1-2 pounds/week) pace

Now, on the other hand, if you keep losing at that rate for more than a few more weeks... probably not awesome? My suggestion would be to consider eating a little more -- you're not eating all the calories from your exercise. I try to eat at least half of the extra calories I get from exercise, it keeps my energy levels high. Not eating all those calories could eventually harm you in the long run

I'll add that some people think eating your exercise calories is stupid... (I don't think that, personally) but if you're losing faster than is recommended, eating a little more is an obvious solution to that. Take care!

Thanks for the info, I have mixed feelings about eating back my calories after workouts, I try to eat some back, sometimes. Basically if I feel hungry I do something about it. As far as preparing for a large calorie burn, i posted before, and got some great suggestions, however, specifically what's good to eat before and after? Carbs/protein, ugh i'm clueless.
  • jgrode1984
    Options

Thanks for the info, I have mixed feelings about eating back my calories after workouts, I try to eat some back, sometimes. Basically if I feel hungry I do something about it. As far as preparing for a large calorie burn, i posted before, and got some great suggestions, however, specifically what's good to eat before and after? Carbs/protein, ugh i'm clueless.

I've heard that exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the most effective, if you can tolerate it. Many have mixed opinion on this. I typically wait a couple of hours after eating if I don't exercise first in the morning.

Consuming lean protein after a work out is a good idea.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    And way to go on the 10 lb loss!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Many people say carbs before very intense workouts and protein after. Others say it doesn't matter at all. If you're dying during a workout, you might not have enough fuel (carbs provide fast fuel and why a lot of runners carb load right before long runs). MFP already includes a deficit in your calories, so you should be eating at least some (ie at least half) of your exercise calories back.

That said, if you've just started your program, you've probably lost a lot of water weight, and your loss will slow.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    so, you are pissed cuz you are losing weight faster than you want?

Why don't you put lifting in your diary? weightlifting is a major calory burn. I burn about 700/hour lifting....

Sounds like you may be crashing your weight and really running under your required daily calorie count. That works for a little while but your body often will go in to starvation/preservation mode and the weight loss comes to a screaming halt.

Sustained, you shouldn't eat less than MFP says as it has already reduced calories to accomodate your weight lose goals. Never more than 20% below TDEE. Eat your calories back after exercise, both cardio and weight training, as MFP has factored weight loss.

Good luck and don't crash!
  • dazleyj
    Options

Why don't you put lifting in your diary? weightlifting is a major calory burn. I burn about 700/hour lifting....

Sounds like you may be crashing your weight and really running under your required daily calorie count. That works for a little while but your body often will go in to starvation/preservation mode and the weight loss comes to a screaming halt.

Sustained, you shouldn't eat less than MFP says as it has already reduced calories to accomodate your weight lose goals. Never more than 20% below TDEE. Eat your calories back after exercise, both cardio and weight training, as MFP has factored weight loss.

Nah, not pissed, kind of excited with reservation, just looking for reason, understanding, and adjustment if necessary. I use jetfit for my tracking lifting. I can post my regimen if you think it'll help with some insight. Since you lift regularly, what do you eat before and after? :)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Nah, not pissed, kind of excited with reservation, just looking for reason, understanding, and adjustment if necessary. I use jetfit for my tracking lifting. I can post my regimen if you think it'll help with some insight. Since you lift regularly, what do you eat before and after? :)

OK. Still, make sure that you post you weightlifting calories burned in MFP, even if you track your workouts elsewhere. You need that information for true calorie mgmt.

I lift first thing in the morning before anyone wakes up. I drink a a quick pre-workout pump before. When i get home, 2 scoops of GNC Amplified blended with fast absorbing carbs, like honey to push protein ino the hungry muscles. i give that an hour to soak in and then something like this:

Omlette made of:
    1 egg
    3 egg whites
    chopped fresh spinach
    1/4 avocado
    salmon
    1/2 oz shredded low fat mozzerella

high fiber whole wheat toast w almond butter and jam

1 c of fresh strawberries
    1 cup of fresh blueberries

v 8

About 1,000 calories before 8:00 a.m. My body is burning hot and powers through the day!

Good luck
  • dazleyj
    Options
    Haven't found a really good way to track calorie burn from lifting.... i'm sure i'm burning something, cause my muscles tell me about it the next day haha :)Thanks for the meal.