Cardio vs lifting

Here's my dilemma, last year I was doing cardio a few times a week and I went from 170lbs. - 150lbs. Size 13 - 10ish. Very exciting for me! Then my workout buddy and I started weight lifting (Lift to Loose). I started gaining the weight back! I understand that muscle weighs more than fat but I want/need to see that scale drop! So here's my fork in the road, bust my butt doing cardio or keep lifting?!!!? (Which means I will have to stay off the scale because going up doesn't settle very well.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Do both. Also, you can't rely on the scale as your sole source of result information. Get a tape measure and some calipers.
  • Ok first of all, the myth that muscle weighs more than fat is a myth- a pound is a pound, no matter what it is made of. Muscle is more dense and compact than fat, which achieves smaller bodies and better over all look.

I definitely recommend that you continue weight lifting. The initial surge in weight gain will probably not continue. Have you ever gotten your body fat taken by a professional? That would be the key indicator. Also are your clothes still fitting better? And also assess if your eating has still been on point.

I lost 50lbs of fat when I got in shape before I had a baby, doing 90% of my workouts with weights, and lifted heavy. I did cardio to bust plateaus. I am now a personal trainer and I recommend less cardio for my clients. Don't bust your butt at first, save it for when you are no longer seeing results.

Here is an article that explains cardio vs. strength training:

http://cliffpt.com/thetrainerlife/fat-loss-weight-training-cardio-training/
  • Gallowmere1984
    The phrase 'muscle weighs more than fat' is true in the volume sense. It's the same thing as water weighing more than oil. A pound of each is still a pound, but a gallon of pure water weighs 8.328676 lbs. and a gallon of light crude oil weighs roughly 7 lbs. with variances due to impurities.

Edit for: "Summary: Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat."
  • Txash
    Txash Posts: 7
    I wear scrubs all week so it's hard for me to feel a difference in the clothes department. I have never had my body fat taken...Where would I find someone to do this?

My mother in law went to the gym with me today and showed me how to do a circuit using weights. I'll be trying to go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Usually I just do cardio 3-4 times week, elliptical 30 mins.

What is recommended on sugar in your daily diet. I've started making smoothies (even throwing some spinach in there) but then I got to thinking, fruit is sugar! But I figure it's better than a bowl of captain crunch or some other crap.
  • Gallowmere1984
    I wear scrubs all week so it's hard for me to feel a difference in the clothes department. I have never had my body fat taken...Where would I find someone to do this?

My mother in law went to the gym with me today and showed me how to do a circuit using weights. I'll be trying to go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Usually I just do cardio 3-4 times week, elliptical 30 mins.

What is recommended on sugar in your daily diet. I've started making smoothies (even throwing some spinach in there) but then I got to thinking, fruit is sugar! But I figure it's better than a bowl of captain crunch or some other crap.

My sugar intake in next to non-existent, so I would be a bad source for that answer. I avoid carbs like the plague, due to the fact that I have been trying to drop a large amount of body weight while increasing strength for the last few months. It's more personal preference than anything. I find it easier to keep my eating in check when I am consuming nothing but protein bars, shakes, and meat.

Many gyms will have things that use electrodes to check your BF, but they require you to be well hydrated during the test to work properly, so you would want to do it before your workout. Failing that, I haven't seen a gym yet that doesn't have a pair of calipers kicking around and at least one person who knows how to use them.
  • Txash
    Txash Posts: 7
    I use our community "rec" center and the kids at the front desk barely know how to answer the phone! Ha.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Oh crap....LoL. Well, I know Bodybuilding.com has some easy to use calipers that you can get from them. They're cost effective, and come with a wheel chart and easy to understand instructions. You may need someone to help you with them though, as some of the fold tests can be awkward to do on yourself. Just remember, even the best calipers have an inaccuracy factor of +/- 2%. The most accurate to my knowledge is a DEXA scan, which is basically the same X-ray technology that is used to check bone density. You'd obviously have to check with a doctor for that one, as I don't see many at home X-ray tests kicking around the open market these days. ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Ok first of all, the myth that muscle weighs more than fat is a myth- a pound is a pound, no matter what it is made of. Muscle is more dense and compact than fat, which achieves smaller bodies and better over all look.

Gee, thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure the OP thought that 1 lb of muscle weighed more than 1 lb of fat before you schooled her. <where is that rolling eyes smiley??>
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Lift and create a calorie deficit. Cardio optional.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Do both... you'll benefit in the long run. The scale may go up so you should be looking at body fat and measuring because there's a good chance both will go down.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Lift and create a calorie deficit. Cardio optional.

Hey bro, you forgot to say something like "here we go again"
  • Lifting is beneficial, but you shouldn't be gaining that much weight. If you are, adjust your diet.