Lower heart rate (fat-burning zone) vs higher heart rate

Options
Hi all,

When I use the elliptical, I usually get my heart rate up into the 140-160 range and get a pretty high calorie burn according to my HRM. Today, for something different, I kept my heart rate in the "fat burning zone" and went a lot easier on the treadmill. My total calorie burn was a good bit lower, but it said I burned a much greater percentage of fat (24% vs. my usual 10-12%).

Now, I know that weight loss is basically calories in vs. calories burned, so that logic tells me that I'll lose more weight with the higher heart rate, higher calorie burn, but lower fat %. So, what's the benefit to the lower heart rate and higher fat %? Is it just as obvious as, "Hey...you're burning more fat!"? :)

If I stuck with a higher calorie burn/lower fat %, what kinda results should I expect in time?

If I stuck with a lower calorie burn / higher fat %, what kinda results should I expect in time?

Thanks!

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    the number of fat grams you burn or the percentage of fat you burn during exercise is not the key to losing weight or fat with exercise. The key is to burn more calories than you take in.

You will also do much more for your cardiovascular fitness at a higher heart rate.

I would provide a more detailed answer, but this is one of those topics that constantly comes up. do a search and you will see plenty of opinions / answers on the topic