Giving up foods because you are nice

Options
Anyone ever have to give up foods that you like due to someone else's need to stop eating them? The post about ice cream made me think about it, because I had to give up ice cream due to the fact that other people in my house can't eat small portions of it. (I love ice cream and am proud when I eat a sensible serving, but can't have it around because I feel like I am sabotaging others in their health quests)

I'm sure this happens a lot with allergies, dietary restrictions, etc. How do you deal with not being able to eat foods you like when it is not entirely your decision? Does it ever frustrate you? Do you just eat them at other times? Have you been able to give them up whole hog?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No, I'm a jerk.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Nope, their diet, their problem. I wouldn't expect my boyfriend not to eat stuff just because I choose not to.

If it were an allergy issue and it was one of my kids then I'd eat it out of sight but adults have to deal with it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes. My 2 yr old is allergic to chickpeas and lentils, and so I almost never eat chickpeas and lentils any more because of it, due to the fact that being not allowed to have something that everyone else is eating makes her want it and take some when no-one's looking. I also have not had felafels for so long, because they're made of chickpeas. She's also allergic to eggs, but doesn't want to eat them so I'll eat those when she's around. One time she ate an egg (before we knew she was allergic) she vomited it up again, so probably that's why she's not so partial to them. the other things she just breaks out in hives (the egg caused vomiting and hives).

I do appreciate the irony of it when people are trying to get their toddlers to eat healthy foods, mine wants to eat the otherwise healthy foods that she's allergic to so I have to stop her...