Has anyone else got painfully cold feet?

Options
I do!! It is cold here, but even in summer my hands and feet are always cold, and always have been. My hands don't bother me, they warm up sometimes and get very hot and swell a bit, but my feet go numb and then get painful and the only way to get them warm is to have a foot bath. It's only this bad in Winter. Good socks and shoes don't matter. My little toes are all bent from wearing my runners too tight when I was a kid. And they're all blotchy like blue and red. Recently the smaller toes have become swollen and the doctor said just to keep an eye on them. Whatever that means. Anyone have a similar problem? Bit of a weird one!

Also, I only wear heels to weddings and things like that, so, about ten times ever. Usually folk blame heels for foot problems but I'm all about runners. I even stick to runners when I go out. Runners here mean running shoes and skate shoes by the way, that type of footwear :)

Any help is appreciated, I know it's a circulation problem, my mum was the same, it's always been this way. But it's annoying me!

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold...esp my feet but mine is due to LOW IRON; I'm anemic. Have you had your iron checked?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sounds like raynaud's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

I don't have this, I've just heard of it before because I've known people who have it
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold...esp my feet but mine is due to LOW IRON; I'm anemic. Have you had your iron checked?

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah I had everything checked during my last checkup and when I was deemed healthy the doc just said... you're fine! ;) My iron has always been really good. My sister calls me a freak of nature ;)
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do! I get Raynaud's phenomenon, so it's not the full-blown syndrome but I get period effects of it. My hands and feet are ALWAYS cold. Occasionally my hands will turn blue or white, but I never lose feeling; they're just insanely cold. When my feet get painfully cold/numb, I usually get sick after that. However, cold feet and hands are a daily occurrence and I've just learned to live with it.
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    sounds like raynaud's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

I don't have this, I've just heard of it before because I've known people who have it

I'm not as bad as those but that does sound like that's it! Eek :( Thanks for your help! I'm sure I haven't got it too bad if I have it at all but I'll take this suggestion to my doctor
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have Raynaud's and am also hypothyroid. The only thing that has improved the "white hands and feet" is thyroxine.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My husband says I do, lol. Perceptually, they aren't cold to me, but to others they are. Same with my hands. Mine is pretty consistently the same though, no real changes.
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have raynauds, and it can be VERY painful. Especially in cold weather. There really isn't anything they can do about it, but I work really hard (wear extra socks ect...) to keep my hands and feet warm
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do!! It is cold here, but even in summer my hands and feet are always cold, and always have been. My hands don't bother me, they warm up sometimes and get very hot and swell a bit, but my feet go numb and then get painful and the only way to get them warm is to have a foot bath. It's only this bad in Winter. Good socks and shoes don't matter. My little toes are all bent from wearing my runners too tight when I was a kid. And they're all blotchy like blue and red. Recently the smaller toes have become swollen and the doctor said just to keep an eye on them. Whatever that means. Anyone have a similar problem? Bit of a weird one!

Also, I only wear heels to weddings and things like that, so, about ten times ever. Usually folk blame heels for foot problems but I'm all about runners. I even stick to runners when I go out. Runners here mean running shoes and skate shoes by the way, that type of footwear :)

Any help is appreciated, I know it's a circulation problem, my mum was the same, it's always been this way. But it's annoying me!

This might help to know. My problem is not exactly liek yours but my feet get VERY COLD and do to an accident I had a couple years ago I damaged the popliteal artery (the main one running through your knee) so my right leg from the knee down swells often due to poor eating, that time of month, and being up on my feet alot. My feet have always gotten cold and my nails will get purple (even on my hands to at times). I go every 6 months to have an ultra sound, stress test and blood pressure test on my leg and they compare it to the blood pressure in my left leg and both my arms to make sure it is the same as all my other extremeties.

Long story short, I just had my appointment 2 weeks ago for all this for the year and my doctar always tells me it freaks him out because after sitting there my feet will get purple-ish and be ice cold. He has told me from day one just to watch it. I told him it's alwasy been like that and it doesn't bother me and I am used to it. My knees will even get purple and splotchy after standing up a long time. Needless to say, my tests always come back fine and I have never had a problem with the bypass in my leg, and he told me 2 weeks ago blood flow was fine.

He laughed and said as always your feet are ice cold and purple! He said it isn't anything to worry about unless I have pain or get really worried myself. He said some people have a thing where when they get cold their arteries shrivel up. So that COULD be the problem you are having where you are getting cold and they shrivel up? No all the way but enough to effect you this way. I have had to put my feet in hot water before to and take a shower or put on socks at night and wrap a blanket around them to get body heat flowing.

If it get's to bad you might want a vascular test but I have always been cold natured and it's both of my feet that have always been like this but now my right one does get worse and colder since I had my accident.

Just a thought and hope it helps!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 6 am and it's a cold walk to my class, where we have no heat. Then I walk home. I started bringing an extra pair of socks plus wearing furry boots, because my feet would get so numbingly cold.

But if you have a medicalfproblem,not just a weather problem, you need to address that.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The cold makes my hands feel like they're on fire. It's Raynaud's. Check out the link the other poster gave you, as you might have it.
  • Natasha28
    Options
    Have your B12 Levels checked! Most doctors do NOT include this test in general lab work. Just research B12 deficiencies...it can be serious, and can include the symptoms that you are experiencing! I have a Neuromuscular disease that affects my arms/hands and legs/feet...so I know how it feels, as it is one of my symptoms. Well...on top of it...I just found out that I have Pernicious Anemia, which is chronic B12 deficiency...and I didn't realize the symptoms...because I already had them from my Neuromuscular condition. Anyhow, I did some research, and some people said that even if there B12 was in "normal" range...250ish and up...they still had symptoms, so they took more, and got their levels higher, and their symptoms went away. So even though 250 is normal...they had to get it up to 900 (still normal), before they felt better. And if you ARE deficient, it can cause nerve damage that can become perminent. Worth a shot to look into. Seriously! I am going around telling everyone I know to have their B12 checked...they are getting tired of hearing about it. lol
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    Have your B12 Levels checked! Most doctors do NOT include this test in general lab work. Just research B12 deficiencies...it can be serious, and can include the symptoms that you are experiencing! I have a Neuromuscular disease that affects my arms/hands and legs/feet...so I know how it feels, as it is one of my symptoms. Well...on top of it...I just found out that I have Pernicious Anemia, which is chronic B12 deficiency...and I didn't realize the symptoms...because I already had them from my Neuromuscular condition. Anyhow, I did some research, and some people said that even if there B12 was in "normal" range...250ish and up...they still had symptoms, so they took more, and got their levels higher, and their symptoms went away. So even though 250 is normal...they had to get it up to 900 (still normal), before they felt better. And if you ARE deficient, it can cause nerve damage that can become perminent. Worth a shot to look into. Seriously! I am going around telling everyone I know to have their B12 checked...they are getting tired of hearing about it. lol

Yes I'm very careful with B12 because I'm vegan, I keep an eye on it, had that checked a few months ago. I'm careful to take fortified foods to get it too. You're right to remind everyone, it's such a shame you had to learn the hard way :( I know a couple of women who are deficient and getting on fine thankfully, they get a shot of it every few months. I've had this problem since childhood but got worse recently, I've read up on Raynauds phenomenon now and I think it's bang on. Thanks for your help too and I hope you're feeling okay :)
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've researched Raynauds and it sounds bang on. I've my feet soaked and I can feel them again, almost wish I didn't because the skin has cracked a little and now that they aren't numb anymore I can feel that, ha! Can't win ;)
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was always the one who said it is way to hot in here. Lost 112 pounds and I am cold all the time. I go to bed with my feet hurting from the cold. I have been going to bed with socks on....which I usually end up kicking off and have to put them back on again. I used to be barefoot all day around the house. Not any more...feet get to cold. As soon as I am out of bed, I take a shower, get dressed, complete with shoes and socks.
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've researched Raynauds and it sounds bang on. I've my feet soaked and I can feel them again, almost wish I didn't because the skin has cracked a little and now that they aren't numb anymore I can feel that, ha! Can't win ;)

I went and looked at the site that was posted on here. That sounds like what my doctor was talking about he just didn't give the "syndrome" he was talking about a name. But that is def got to be it. Now, mine is nowhere near that bad and if I move my feet around after standing or sitting in one spot awhile I my color will come back. My doctor even said my "blood color" was fine. That is where when you are purple and you poke it with your finger and it turns white, as long as the color comes back in 5-15 seconds he said there is no danger. Mine always comes immediately back. You might want to try that and see how quick your color comes back.

Mine is actually worse in the foot on my good leg. I refer to my legs as my good one and bad one due to my accident. Everyone does that and that just kinda stuck as a funny =) So, I don't worry about it as much because as I said my left (good) foot gets worse than my right (bad) one. If my bad one was worse on the purple coloring I would worry myself sick because I had the bypass in that leg. So that is a relief to me =)

I went to best last night with socks on and my bad foot aching so bad (because it gets colder than the good foot because of circulation from accident) and I ended up getting up and wrapping my feet in a small blanket and when I woke up a couple hours later they were just fine and not hurting and not half numb. I have to go the extra mile to trap the body heat in!

I wish you the best and hope it all turns out ok for you! Post later on to update us.
  • jrowland22
    jrowland22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do! I read that B12 deficiency can be a cause. Sometimes my feet actually go numb in the toes, some toes turn white and the blood isn't flowing well. I've started taking B12 supplements and this has helped greatly. They are inexpensive and I take the sublingal. You just put a couple under your tongue (very mild fruit flavor) and they melt and get into your blood stream. Worth a shot if you keep experiencing this. I get them at Kroger or Wal-mart
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have Reynaud's. Yesterday, I wore pantyhose and runner's tights UNDERNEATH my slacks, along with a sweater, heavy peacoat, thick socks, boots, scarf, and gloves. And yet my toes were still numb from the cold. My toes and fingers turn super white with a yellowish tint, almost like jaundice O.o