random useless facts.... share

Options

Replies

• busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    On average people fall asleep in 7 minutes. I read that foerver ago so I don't know if it still holds true.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    When threatened, the horned toad shoots blood from it's eyes.... use to have one of these at the zoo I worked at (yea, zoo...) it was quite disturbing to see that poor little toad cry blood......
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The Ramses brand condom is named after the great phaoroh Ramses II who fathered over 160 children.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    These are awesome!

The plastic piece on the end of your shoelace is called and Aglet. (Thank you "Phineas and Ferb" lol)

I learned that the other day too....Love Phineas & Ferb!!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    Honey is the only food that does not spoil (rot). It will crystalize, but if you warm the container in a pan of hot water it will return to it's original consistency.

Honey is also the only food that is created without killing a living thing.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    A duck's quack doesn't echo. No one knows why
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall.

I think I've also read somewhere that her knees wouldn't be able to support her, and her head would be the size of a volleyball.
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall.

I think I've also read somewhere that her knees wouldn't be able to support her, and her head would be the size of a volleyball.

I think her head just got that big cuz she's so popular.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    A seagull can drink salt water because it has special glands that filter out the salt
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    All the women in the world put together weigh just about 85 per cent as much as all the men.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The heaviest human brain ever recorded weighed over 5 pounds. An average human’s brain weighs 2.6 pounds. For girls, the brain accounts for 2.5% of their body weight, while boys' accounts for 2%.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    In order to scare away predators, Giant petrels, a type of seabird, throw up all over the intruder:laugh: :laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Cats have 32 muscles in each ear.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    People who ride on roller coasters have a higher chance of having a blood clot in the brain
  • nursestewart
    Options
    It is possible to overdose on vitamins. For example, an excess of vitamin B can cause symptoms similar to multiple sclerosis.

We all know that it is recommended to drink 8 cups of water per day, but did you know that an average human drinks about 16,000 gallons of water in a lifetime!?

Did you know, the muscles in your heart can create enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet!

Did you know that in low-income countries, the leading cause of death is lower respiratory infections; in middle-income countries, the leading cause of death is stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases, and in high income countries, the leading cause of death is coronary heart disease?

Did you know that if you lose sight in one eye, you will lose all your depth preception but only about a fifth of your total vision! Also, losing eyesight is the third most feared physical condition in the US, after cancer and AIDS.

A newborn baby only has about one cup of blood circulating through his or her body... compare that to the average adult body that contains about five quarts of blood!

Did you know that you mostly breathe from only one nostril at a time, and that each nostril registers smell in a different way?? Smells that are made from the right nostril are more pleasant than the left!

The oldest verifiable human ages are a French woman at 122, a Japanese man at 120, and a Californian woman and Canadian man both at 113!

If you are dressed warmly but don't wear a hat when it's cold, you can lose 40-50% of your body heat through the top of your head. Also, contrary to popular belief, going outside with wet hair when it's cold does not make you sick!

The antioxidants in cocoa keep your blood vessels relaxed, which lowers blood pressure and helps circulation. The darker the chocolate, the better.

Around Christmas time we are all reminded that poinsettias are poisonous, but a person would have to consume more than 600 poinsettia leaves before approaching toxicity!

The longest duration of hiccups on record is 65 years! Can you imagine how excited you would be when they finally stopped?!

I'm a nurse...that is all I can say. LOL!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    Lachanophobia is the fear of vegetables
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    The dot that appears over the letter "i" is called a tittle
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Bumblebees are one of the few insects that can regulate their body temperature, via both solar radiation and via internal mechanisms of "shivering" and radiative cooling from the abdomen.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Hydrogen peroxide bubbles on wounds not because it is killing germs, but because it decomposes into water and oxygen gas in the presence of enzymes from broken skin cells.
  • nursestewart
    Options
    Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.