Lesson? Read nutritional info BEFORE ordering

Options
2»

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    That is a good amount for a meal that is healthy. Granted, I can eat more than you. But 500 to 800 calories is not really a lot for a meal. If your alotment is very low, get the meal and cut it in half. Wraps that I find at such places are pretty darn big, and half can usually suffice to satiate hunger.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear as to what is being defined "healthy" in this thread. Since combo of low cal and freshness? And yeah, plan all your meals ahead of time. It's the sensible thing to do.

Get a mcdouble at McDonald's next time. Right ratio of cals to protein. And it's on the dollar menu. Something like 25 gr of protein and 350 cals and costs $1.19.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I go to the mall, the first thing I do is scope the parking lot for an Outback Steakhouse. If there isn't one, then I pull out my phone and surf the app for the restaurant foods. When I can't find that, I find the chik-fil-a. If there's just a McDonalds, then McNuggets or a double burger and I'm good.

But if the choice for me is a high-cal wrap that has a good bit of nutrition or Sbarro...I take the dressing off the wrap and eat a wacky dinner, like protein-yogurt frosting and a Joseph's pita, or whatever gets my nutrients right at the end of the day.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    IMO you are being overly harsh and quite blinkered: healthy and diet friendly are not and have never been interchangeable terms. You are only looking at the calorie count, nutrition is far more complex even within each macro there are are healthier and less healthy, more or less 'fattening' options. Not sure what country you are in but the menu listings and pictures for the Freshii food that I looked at do genuinely look to be balanced nutrient dense options, not just marketing or packaging.

What you say is true and frankly and although I didn't state it outright thought the implications of my posts were pretty clear that the nutrition comparison is not to be made. If it wasn't clear enough before then let me say it here. You can't compare Freshii to McDonald's for nutrition.

As far as portion control goes you are right again. However, another bug bear of mine about 'first world' is the amount of waste that goes in to food production, packaging, and generally over-sizing of portions which you then wind up having to throw away. There is nothing to be learned at a restaurant or a food court about portions or portion control (another obvious statement which I am sure will give some the urge to climb onto their horses in sheer superiority).

If you are in the luxurious position of knowing these things, having been educated with regards to food, not having been raised in a household with someone who had an eating disorder and cultural heritage which does not provide a great role model to learn from, then I congratulate you. If you have never had an issue with portion control, emotional eating or any addictive personality issues to contend with then good on you! That is not my situation. It is why I am all over the cooking I do for my kids and nothing has come out of a jar or tin for them that wasn't a single ingredient to add to a recipe and why, although I am great to them I am still learning for me and why I am being the best role model I can be while I am learning.

I was posting about the fact that the amount of food added up to a huge portion of my allotted calories and it made me panic because I didn't think about buying it and guesstimating how much I would have to throw away (roughly half, I realize now when cooler heads are prevailing and my two kids are not hanging off me either crying or whinging). It seems to me that if you are on the other side of things - you could easily eat two 400 calorie wraps and be on your merry way - but most westerners could do with more 400 calorie lunches and less 800 ones - no matter how nutritious.

So gee-willickers thanks for your entirely helpful comments and your learned IMOs.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear as to what is being defined "healthy" in this thread. Since combo of low cal and freshness?

Low cal and nutrient dense.
  • UKMarjie
    Options
    I'm unclear as to what is being defined "healthy" in this thread. Since combo of low cal and freshness?

Low cal and nutrient dense.

This.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The salads are low cal and the burritos are pretty low cal too. I do remember that feeling though, when I'd already bought a tuna melt panini.

When I am maintaining it tends to be more of a struggle to get what I like to eat to be high enough calorie, rather than low enough. I went to the mall on my birthday and 'let' myself have sashimi and frozen yoghurt for lunch, rather than forcing myself to eat enough :laugh:
  • UKMarjie
    Options
    Interesting.