Best Salad Dressing?

Options
2»

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I had found a nice recipe that used a bit of oil (olive, canola, or your favorite oil), some balsamic vinegar, onion, dijon mustard, and garlic. Put it in a food processor (I have a small one, holds about 3 cups) and blend well. Add a little fresh cracked pepper and you're good to go!

Although you had said you aren't a fan of the vinagrettes, I'd do some dabbling. Not all are the same. I love a good balsamic vinagrette, it's not very sour like red wine based vinagrettes. Plus, I've read that a bit of vinegar with your meal can be beneficial in stabilizing glucose levels when complex carbs are ingested. ( "Examination of the Antiglycemic Properties of Vinegar in Healthy Adults" Carol S. Johnston, Iwona Steplewska, Cindy A. Long, Lafe N. Harris, Romina H. Ryals Nutrition Program, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Mesa, Ariz., USA. Ann Nutr Metab 2010;56:74-79 (DOI: 10.1159/000272133)

A store purchased brand that I've found some yummy options are Brianna's. They're organic, have healthy fats, and some don't have a ton of sugar.

Happy salading! :)
  • allim
    allim Posts: 21
    Options
    BOLTHOUSE FARMS!!!!! Any one of them... Ranch, Thousand Island, Ceasar with Asiago, the Blue Cheese is to DIE FOR.
    I would not survive the lunch room at my work every day without them.
    Renee's does a Yohgurt Based dressing line as well- I like their Cucumber and Dill.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I make my own... a little olive oil, a little vinegar or lemon juice, and whatever spices sound good that night: garlic, basil, rosemary, thyme...

Experiment with what you like. I try not to do a lot of the "light" dressings because the added chemicals just don't work well with what I'm trying to achieve...
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Earth Fare is an organic grocery store in NC, SC, TN, AL and GA.
    Haha, then I'm probably out of luck, but I'm sure there's similar stuff around here. Thanks for the info.
  • bbgirl
    bbgirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have always used creamy dressings; blue cheese is my favorites. But, my biggest weakness is ("was") Litehouse Blue Cheese dressing. So much so, that I had to totally give it up. It is just not worth the calories (a whopping 150 calories for 2 Tablespoons). I now use Newman's Own Lite Ceasars, which is very good and only has 60 calores for 2 Tablespoons. I drizzle the dressing on my salad and then I add a little red wine vinegar to help it along. Very tasty!!!
  • RhondaCrombie
    Options
    Marie's has a yogurt based blue cheese that is WONDERFUL!!!
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    I second Newman's Own Sesame Ginger - 35 calories and delicious. I love it with tofu in my salad
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I like adding flavor to my salads with things like olives or olive muffuletta, gardeniera, pickles, or other similar condiments. I'm also a fan of feta cheese - which just a bit can give a lot of flavor. I do like the creaminess in a dressing too.... and my favorite right now is Kraft 3-cheese light ranch. 1 Tablespoon goes a long way (particularly when mixed with those condiments!)

In the past, I've used Good Seasons dry mix and made it with vinegar and yogurt in place of the oil, it gives a low-cal, low fat healthier version of creamy italian.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am a dressing freak. I love homemade ranch, blue cheese, Kraft's Bacon-tomato one, sundried tomato, italian etc. I'm one of those people who have a good five different salad dressing in their fridge on any given day.

However, now that I'm trying to be more serious about losing weight and finally breaking down and paying attention to calories, I HATE the taste of lite ranch. This week I bought a couple of options for work and a couple for home. I got Lighthouse Sesame Ginger which has eith 35 or 40 calories per 2 tbsp, and Kraft Light Sicilian Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette which has 35 and I was pleasanly surprised by both. Local grocery store had the small bottles of Ken's on sale for $1 each, and I got Healthy Options Raspberry Walnut & the Healthy Options Balsamic Vinaigrette, both of which are low in calories and good (especially the raspberry walnut). Love the other suggestions. Keep them coming!