Has anyone had Gastric Bypass?

Options
2»

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have not, but two members of my immediately family have. My advice: avoid it, or proceed with extreme caution.

One person had GBS about 11 years ago; the other person had it about 10 years ago. Neither had complications from surgery, so no additional surgeries (at least directly related to the GBS) were required. However, neither do heavy lifting on a regular basis.

I don't want to get into the details because they aren't mine to share, but suffice it to say that it's not a permanent fix. If you don't learn to eat right, you're going to gain at least some of the weight back, perhaps a significant amount.

There's also the issue of food addiction that may or may not be addressed. (I mean, it can be addressed, but in their cases it was not.) One of my family members who had GBS has become an alcoholic. He used to be a beer 'n burger kind of guy, but he couldn't have beer after GBS, so he switched to wine. Since red wine didn't sit well in his stomach, he drank white wine. He literally drinks at least two bottles a day of white wine (all after the workday - he does not go to work drunk) and becomes a really annoying drunk. It is not fun at all to be around, and then we have to make sure he's not driving. It is a huge source of stress for the entire family.

Personally, I would do everything you can to do it "on your own." Get inside your head, too, because that's a major factor - perhaps THE factor!

That said, if your doctor is pushing it, you need to get a second opinion.
  • trevebyn
    trevebyn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Surgery is not a magic wand. It will not help you make the 'right' decision of what to put in your mouth. If you eat the wrong things you will still fail to lose the weight, or regain it. BUT if you really feel that there is no other way to lose the weight and you feel it is right for you then go for it. Just make sure you are doing it for you and not just because some doctor wants you to do it! Its your body and it has to be your choice, after doing all the research. Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight (292 lbs in December 2009) I was researching it, and was planning to find a doctor who would get the process started, but I gave myself one last chance to lose the weight myself. By January 2011, I had lost 115 lbs, through calorie counting and exercise. I am so glad that I didn't persue surgery.

If you have any doubts at all, don't do it. Go with your gut (no pun intended). You can either change you MIND to change your body, or surgically alter yourself, without changing your mindset. In the long run, it's so much better to change the mentality that goes along with food.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies. Thanks to everyone who responded to this. You have given me tons of good opinions and information :)
  • Tammy22274
    Tammy22274 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Twotontunic, It was nice to know that you have had the Gastric Sleeve and your results from it. You are also right, if a person does not stick to the diet and exercise after having the surgery then they are taking the risk of failing. The one friend I told you all about that had to have the tummy tuck, well she did not stick to the diet and exercise recommendation after surgery. She figured because she had lost all the weight that she was safe and starting drinking alcohol A LOT. Then she started eating little more in her portions until it got to the point where she was eating large portions. The procedure should not be ruled out because of what I stated about her having to have a tummy tuck. She did not follow through with everything and caused more problems for herself in the long run.

I am also not saying that a person should turn to the surgery. You definately have to get your mind in a place where you want to eat healthy and exercise. Even if you have the surgery and do not have the right mind set, you will end up like my friend I told you about who wasn't. Again everyone's body reacts to surgery, medication, and diets differently. You definately need to do your research, and at least try to watch your calories and exercise and see what happens before considering the surgery. You might find that you can succeed in losing weight, and then again you might not, but you can say you did try. Setting your mind to a positive state will help you in your journey as well.

I know how it is to have negative thoughts about losing weight because I have been there and still have some negative thoughts about it. I, however, have started counting my calories and exercising using this site, and feel that if I continue to make this a life change and stick with it that, I can do it!!!..

Never feel as if you are a failure because if you did try and it didn't work, then at least you succeeded in making that decision. You did not fail because you at least tried!!

Surround yourself with positive influences and people that are willing to help, Work hard, stay positive, and do it for you not for anyone else!!! Good luck, and keep us all posted on your decision, and journey.. Wish you well !!!
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have had the vertical sleeve gastectomy end of November and so far it has been very successful with very minimal issues. I too agree with those that state it's not a magic wand that you still need to put in the work, but I'm here to tell you it's a very effective tool to get you moving on the right track. No matter what you'll have naysayers that say it's the cowards way out, or that you are lazy, or have no willpower, but most of them do not have a good understanding of the procedures. As a matter of fact one of the processes you have to go through in order for most insurance companies to approve the surgery is a psychological exam. They just want to make sure that you are mentally fit and up to the life changes that you are about to embark on. One of the biggest concerns they mentioned as far as support was that you will be ridiculed by some for making this decision.
    I would talk with others that have had the surgery, check out other forums like thinnertimes.com. There you can ask questions and get information from people that have actually gone through the surgery. Some people go through it without an issue, while for others it was a nightmare.
  • jobelle217
    jobelle217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One of my family members who has had difficulty with weight their entire life is considering the sleeve procedure. As they have tried on there own many times, I am supporting them in this decision. Regardless of potential complications, if this family member does not lose weight, their chronic medical conditions will ultimately end their life.

Anyway, they are nervous as anyone should be. From those out there who have had this procedure, is there an online support group I might be able to refer them to in order to connect with others and hopefully encourage them to follow through with what is necessary for this to work?

• bcoats001
    Options
    it is a HUGE risk my mom had it done and in result of it has had to go through 19 other surgeries my aunt just had done a month ago and now her health is going down as well
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What a great response twotontunic! Thank you.
  • darlene81960
    Options
    I had a Gastric Bypass in 2004. I lost about 120 pounds in 71/2 months. I have kept the weight off until a couple of years ago when I had to quit work to stay home and care for my husband. It was the best thing I have ever done. I have only gained about 25 pounds back and am working on getting that back off. This surgery is not for everyone, but it was the right decision for me. I was out of work for about 6 weeks. I dare not think about what I would weigh now had I not had the surgery. I did a lot of reserch and asked a lot of questions before I made my mind up. It is a very dangerous surgery but if you are in good health and you have a good doctor, it really makes a difference. But only have it done if you are comfortable with it. Good luck.
  • lors110
    Options
    I had gastric by-pass done in 2004. I lost 80 lbs in 5 months. I lost so fast and had food retention issues and should have exercised more but didn't have the energy. I got out of the habit of exercising and starting snacking and not eating like I should. I would have the surgery again, even knowing what I know. I would however get back into exerciseng and gettin my mind right sooner.. Because for the first 2-3 years you do not have an appetite and it is easy to eat smaller portions and get good eating and exercising habits. After that your appetite slowly come back. At first I could not tolerate any carbs but now I can eat a regular portion of some. So I guess the short answer is the surgery is not for everyone but it empowers you because you loose so much weight so fast almost without trying. Loosing weight was so easy for the first time! Just be commited to eating right and exercising for the rest of your life because your appetite will come back and you want to have your good habits in place before it does. After all, none of us got fat because we ate right and exercised. The other thing to be aware of is that alot of people are emotional eaters. I am. If you are, you need to deal with that because I kknow of people who started smoking or drinking because they didn't want to eat or couldn't eat but still had the emotion need for the gratification. So all they did was replace food with something that was not any better for them. Good Luck
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My doctor has also been suggesting this to me. His reasoning is that it is easier for a person my age (mid 40's) to bring the weight down and keep it off with the surgery than it is without. I've looked into it and spoken with several people that have had it. Everyone that has had it said they would do it again in an instant and each had minor complications after surgery.

I'm holding off because after the surgery, I'll have to eat a healthier diet and exercise if I expect to keep the weight off, but if I eat a healthy diet and exercise now, the weight will come off on it's own. Slower yes, but the end result would be the same. So right now, diet and exercise is Plan A. Surgery, diet and exercise is Plan B.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think you reach a point where you decide, either I do it NOW, or I am getting the surgery, 100%. And then with your back against the wall, you try one more push to do it the non-surgical way - calorie restriction and exercise. Track everything, change your eating, stay under our calorie goals over day, no days off.

If you fail, or haven't lost at least 1 pound per week at the end of 8 weeks, then pull the trigger.

I know people both ways. And without exception, they said they had wished they tried "one last time" to eat healthy and diet, instead of doing the surgery first.
  • MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't let a Dr push you into something, do your own research and make your own choices. The surgery is not for everyone, and each individual will have their own issues. The surgery is not a cure all it, is a tool for you to use to improve your eating habits. You need to make lifelong changes to make this work. Exercise is extremely important. Vitamins and supplements are important. Food choices are extremely important. You can choose to eat a half cup of quinoa and veggies or a half a cup of KFC. Your choice. I do feel it is a great motivator as the weight falls off incredibly fast in the beginning, and I feel a problem people have with diet alone is they do not see results and get depresses and overeat, thus keeping the cycle going.

I had gastric bypass about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I could not be more happy with the results. I went from 265 to 115 at my lowest. I have gained some bounceback weight, currently I am 133-135ish, but some of that may be muscle as I lift pretty heavy for a girl. I am on here to log my food and track, while I am by no means overweight I think I am perfect at 125 and would like to get down there. A lot of people think gastric bypass is an "easy way out" but it is a tool and you can still gain the weight back, I know many that have had the surgery and end up heavier than before. It is what YOU make of it. As for heavy lifting you will be fine in 6-8 weeks.
  • MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    www.obesityhelp.com is a great tool for anyone considering/going through gastric bypass surgery
  • Mandramitchell5
    Options
    Hey there ! I am almost three months post op and lost 100 it's a very drastic surgery but u believe it has saved my life . I have battled with weight my whole life and tried every diet out there and boy this works but it needs to be a life change and also needs to be something you feel comfortable in doing please feel free to email me with an questions my email is mandramitchell5@gmail.com!! God bless
    R&Y 10/29/12
  • Chrissy180
    Chrissy180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple...had the surgery, lost the weight through diet and exercise, and then gain 100 lbs back..Why? Because I didn't use the tool that was given to me. Not long term. Fitness was my priority for the 1st few years and then my priorites changed and I ate myself fat again..If you know you can't lose the weight without the surgery then do the research and do whats right for you..but if you are able to go to work and do heavy lifting I would say eat right and exercise. No matter if you have the surgery or not the issues that lead you to overeat are still going to be there just waiting for you to slip. Good luck to you on your journey. I am fighting my way back, and its hard but I'm doing it...so can you.