can't get along with my pms

Options
hello maybe someone can help me... well I've been soooo motivated the last 2 weeks... worked out every day... unfortunatelly I have a hard time with my pms... can't help it... I have 7 days pms... and that what happens every month,.. can eat anything at my house and outside the house... and then when I have such attacks of eating I eat more because I feel frustrated... I'm the kind of eater who eats along with every mood- when I'm bored, when I'm frustrated, when I'm disappointed, when I'm tired... just any mood... and then when I have pms all those feelings come together and I destroy all my hard work from the past 2 weeks... I'm back at the beginning... I'm on mfp since more than one month... and instead of loosing weight I'm gaining weight... actually I signed into mfp to get a healthy alternative.. because normaly only extrem diets ( like only eating fruits or only eating rice or only eating sweetpotatoes with buttermilk, etc.) worked for me... I want to be healthy and have no yoyo- effects anymore... but it always catches me back and it feels like I never get out of this circle and I'm getting fatter and fatter... what shall I do?! I'm so dissapointed from my own behaviour... I could just eat again because of my disappointment towards myself.. you get what my problem is??? =(

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You definately have some tough challenges ahead of you - but YOU CAN DO IT!

Look, we all have PMS. It sucks. I also think each and every single one of us (well every WOMAN that is) has posted this exact same topic, so know that you're NOT alone.

When I asked for advice, everyone told me to plan plan plan. A good trick is to drink a LOT of water while you're PMS'ing. You're going to have to mentally "take over" and pretty much change your thought patterns when changing your lifestyle. It's a tough process, but totally achievable. Try to drink a glass of water every time you NEED food. Then, when giving into the urge to eat, eat a healthy food! Get rid of all the tempting "bad foods" around your house. If you find that you eat the healthy food and are still hungry, try taking a walk before you open that fridge again :) Then have some water!

Every month will get easier as your brain and thought patterns change. There is no way you won't succeed at losing weight through healthy eating and exercise - I guarantee you that. There is a HUGE mental component to doing it though, that's where most people issues lie :)

Good luck!! I wish you much success :)
  • Aubreygrrl
    Aubreygrrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey girl I know EXACTLY what you mean - I'm an emotional eater as well and that's why I've gained so much weight in the past two years. You just have to try and realize when you are hungry and when you are eating because you feel like it. Once you can accomplish this and tell yourself no for the first time you will start making the right choices. YOU CANNNNNNN do this i promise. Also try to drink a glass of water or water bottle or something before you eat and you will notice that you wont want to eat nearly as much :) ( i know i have a tendency to binge when i have deprived myself for a while and this has really stopped that habit.)
  • nimiry
    nimiry Posts: 20
    Options
    thanks to both of you! yeah I really noticed that the last month changed a lot in my head... unfortunatelly not on my scale though... but maybe you're right... someday it should work... one day I should get this buttom pushed in my head finally... maybe I'm just to impatient with all this... thank you for all those tricks- I will try it like you told me to- maybe it will work out =)
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i deal with it my having the PMS week be my off week/recovery week where I work out a bit less, giving my muscles more off days to build up and repair. It's great for preventing injury.

also, i find snacks that help keep my pms craving crazy body happy and feel like i am getting away with something, but also aren't bad for me and still within my goals. For instance, hot chocolate, dairy free ice cream, a small snack baggy of heresy peanut butter pieces that I spend the whole week slowly eating my way through by grabbing 5 or 6 a day when I feel the urge come on.

The most important thing with letting myself get away with snacks is to portion control and enjoy small pleasures without going crazy and giving into to mindless PMS eating.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's rough. Well, you are heading in the right direction if you are going to stop those "extreme diets." The only real way to lose weight, get healthy, and be able to maintain it is the hard way--by making good food choices and regular exercise. I know it's harder during PMS and I am right there with ya, but there is hope...

I have been reading a book called "Master your Metabolism" by Jilian Michaels which talks about the consequences of our hormones being out of whack. I haven't got that far, but later in the book Jilian offers food choices to help get our hormones in balance. You should check it out. I can relate to eating for just about any mood, and that's probably why I have been diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin Resistance, and PCOS--all of which are a consequence of unhealthy eating and inconsistent exercise. The scary part is I am on the verge of becoming Type 2 Diabetic!

I have been struggling with my weight for 9 years, and for me, I have hit rock bottom. I know that I cannot achieve my goals alone. I have been trying for a long time to do it in my own strength, BUT I don't have to. It says in the Bible, Philippians 4:13, "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH." I believe that completely and whole-heartedly. I am constantly praying and asking for HIS strength to help me. Already, I have been eating so much better. For instance, I keep a candy bowl at my desk for my co-workers and there is usually chocolate in there...it is ONLY by God's grace that I have not eaten even one piece of those mini candy bars in the past 2 weeks...I was always just having one here; having one there.

I certainly don't have it all in control...this is a daily process...for me it can be a minute-by-minute process.

I'll be praying for you!
  • nimiry
    nimiry Posts: 20
    Options
    thanks to you all!!! Sorry I didn't answer yesterday... I just fell asleep in front of my notebook and slept until now *lol* first thing I did this morning to read all your advices and to figure out my next step- I hope it will work now =D thank you - I think the rest was good for me... I think I will put a "day off" in any week... I think my body was to weak already with every day exercising...(in addition I'm trying to stop smoking and this made me a little bit confused) hugs to all of you- even to those who think they are writing me stuff that I don't want to hear *lol* I want to hear any opinion actually to figure out what is wrong with me- now I know that I can be weak sometimes because I really am trying to do soooo much at once *lol* and so I will allow myself to little mistakes and failures but will be more careful with it, so that I don't get completely out of control with that =D
    my new solution is to make smaller meals- so I will have more left over calories for snacking- a lot of water and healthy snacks that I have to prepare in the morning (so that I'm not to lazy later to get them instead of unhealthy snacks).. another thing is that I finally realized that I'm to impatient with myself and that I have to allow myself to take one day off ( like with the exercising)... it definitely was too much for me and my body at once. and of course I will pray a lot to keep myself off this "bad" food =D
    thanks to everybody once again- big hugs!!! I love mfp!!