Skinny fat need help?

Options
Well I lost a lot of weight from cardio and dieting and I'm skinny fat I have chest fat and love handles what should I do please help guys and girls I do eat healthy just really need advice I went to the gym a few times but that's it do I need to weigh lift more

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Well I lost a lot of weight from cardio and dieting and I'm skinny fat I have chest fat and love handles what should I do please help guys and girls I do eat healthy just really need advice I went to the gym a few times but that's it do I need to weigh lift more

yes!! You need to lift heavy 2-3x a week. Do it for 3 months or so and you will probably see *some* results.

It would have been better if you had been lifting while doing your cardio to lose weight.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you are "skinny fat" your issue is your body fat % which is most likely high.

One main way to fix it is to increase your calories to maintance and lift HEAVY weights (lay off the cardio) while ensuring you consume more than enough protein. You want to build muscle mass which in turned burns more fat and therefore lowers your body fat %. When you go on a calorie deficit to lose weight most people will lose muscle in the process (muscle loss can be reduced/eliminated by having a smaller deficit, consuming enough protein and lifting weights along the way).

Should you go the route of attempting to build muscle stay off the scale as you will show increases due to any muscle you gain as well as water your body retains to help rebuild those muscles. Don't pay so much attention to the weight on the scale when you lift heavy, eat more and consume enough protein. When you build muscle you will look smaller being at the same weight or even a higher weight. Muscle takes up much less space than fat pound per pound.

Switch your goals to maintain (or even gain 0.5lbs per week) and set your protein to at least 35%.. if not a bit more. As a male you can build muscle a lot better than us females. Do bulk and cut cycles (you can research online... bodybuilding.com I believe is a decent site). Bulk cycles make you put on some weight (muscle and unfortunately a little bit of fat would be added with the muscle). You do this for a few weeks than drop down to weight loss mode which in turn helps you lose fat. Do these cycles until you are happy with the way you look.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You said it! You need to lift more and be more consistent with exercise.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If you are "skinny fat" your issue is your body fat % which is most likely high.

One main way to fix it is to increase your calories to maintance and lift HEAVY weights (lay off the cardio) while ensuring you consume more than enough protein. You want to build muscle mass which in turned burns more fat and therefore lowers your body fat %. When you go on a calorie deficit to lose weight most people will lose muscle in the process (muscle loss can be reduced/eliminated by having a smaller deficit, consuming enough protein and lifting weights along the way).

Should you go the route of attempting to build muscle stay off the scale as you will show increases due to any muscle you gain as well as water your body retains to help rebuild those muscles. Don't pay so much attention to the weight on the scale when you lift heavy, eat more and consume enough protein. When you build muscle you will look smaller being at the same weight or even a higher weight. Muscle takes up much less space than fat pound per pound.

Switch your goals to maintain (or even gain 0.5lbs per week) and set your protein to at least 35%.. if not a bit more. As a male you can build muscle a lot better than us females. Do bulk and cut cycles (you can research online... bodybuilding.com I believe is a decent site). Bulk cycles make you put on some weight (muscle and unfortunately a little bit of fat would be added with the muscle). You do this for a few weeks than drop down to weight loss mode which in turn helps you lose fat. Do these cycles until you are happy with the way you look.

Thank you for this. I'm also skinny fat....and lost a looot of muscle during a lot of cardio sessions and HIIT with a free program called Bodyrock. And not eating enough for it all...